The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 1968)

by S. E. Hinton

Member:tincherb
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S. E. Hinton
Info:Laurel Leaf (1968), Mass Market Paperback, 156 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult fiction, the outsiders, s..e. hinton

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

Recently added byDinHeru, Lorem, caenrique93, private library, rdwhitenack, Js126863, Timothius, libra79, MABoone
1960s (63) American (52) American literature (38) brothers (77) classic (178) classics (108) coming of age (209) death (69) family (106) fiction (772) friendship (176) gangs (417) greasers (67) high school (38) literature (39) murder (53) novel (74) Oklahoma (47) own (39) read (153) realistic fiction (151) school (42) teen (96) teenagers (44) to-read (52) violence (62) YA (280) young adult (443) young adult fiction (114) young adult literature (47)

English (388)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (393)
I first read this book in seventh grade. It instantly struck me as something special. Ponyboy is a relateabke character because he did not choose to live in his current conditions. The other characters feel grounded in reality and help breathe life into the book's world. This story depicts the troubles of being a member of a gang and being a teenager. All teens should read this book. I don't want to ruin the end but it is the perfect ending for this book. It shows that deep down everyone still has some good in them. "Stay gold Ponyboy." ( )
  thedreadlink | May 16, 2014 |
Amazingly engrossing, although it's old enough at this point, some of the aspects on teenage life are still so relevant, I truly love this book.

I would honestly love to be friends with most of the Greasers. Aside from their humour and playfulness, the care they show towards one another is really very touching.

The movie was definitely a good adaption, but I would recommend finding the directors cut. You'll know you have it when it starts with Pony coming out of the movies and getting jumped by the soc's. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
The Outsiders tells the story of 14-year old Ponyboy and his struggle with right and wrong. He, his brothers, and friends are members of the greasers, a lower-class gang. They battle the socs, the rich kids. ( )
  WizardsofWorch | Apr 21, 2014 |
I read this book as a teen several times. I listened to it on CD this time and enjoyed it very much. I hung on the words knowing what would happen next. This book I read so many years ago came alive in my memory. It is still very fitting for the teens today. ( )
  ThePageturners | Mar 27, 2014 |
This book was really a great read. I found it odd but surprising that the author, who is female, wrote from the perspective of a boy. And she did it so well I never knew the difference. I think this book stands the test of time because the issues it covers are ones that young people are still dealing with in today's society. Great book and well written and would def recommend!! ( )
  melissapetty10 | Mar 14, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,255,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible