The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 1968)

by S. E. Hinton

Member:tincherb
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S. E. Hinton
Info:Laurel Leaf (1968), Mass Market Paperback, 156 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult fiction, the outsiders, s..e. hinton

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

English (395)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (400)
Still on of my favorite book that I've read. It is a coming of a age book that students will be able to relate to. Also it brings love yet a mystery and gangs to reach all students. ( )
  magarcia | Nov 30, 2014 |
I'm kind of a farce. I'm a teen librarian and I'd never read The Outsiders. It's downright shameful, I know. I sought to remedy that by listening to the audiobook version, which I thoroughly enjoyed! I instantly became engrossed in Ponyboy's narrative and took an instant liking to all the characters. The premise of the story centers on the Greasers, and not judging a book by it's cover. Ponyboy, Dairy, Soda, Two Bit, Dally, and Johnny are rough and tumble guys. They come from the wrong side of town, lack money and education, and are labeled by society as greasers. Together they make up a little gang of friends dead set on having a good time and taking down the soc's (socials - rich kids). One night things go to far and someone ends up dead. Ponyboy and Johnny have to decide what makes a man. Is it what society labels him or is it what's inside that counts?

A phenomenal coming of age story and perfect to help kids deal with bullying, gang violence, and reputations. ( )
  ecataldi | Oct 2, 2014 |
Wow - she wrote this when she was 17! ( )
  atuson | Sep 7, 2014 |
The Outsiders is one of my all-time favorite books and probably the first young adult novel I ever read. (It wasn't considered YA at the time though; that category didn't exist.) I've read it half a dozen times. The last time was when I went to the bookstore with my son and bought it for him to read. He didn't; I did.

Why did this resonate so much with me? I love the character Ponyboy. He's sensitive and sweet, growing up with his three older brothers and no parents. S.E. Hinton did a wonderful job creating this world of us against them, the poor greasers and the rich socs. It resonated with me because it felt real. The teens in her book swore and smoked and drank. This realism didn't exist in most books written for the middle school and teen market at the time. (I was 12 the first time I read it.)

The writing is beautiful and heartbreaking. A wonderful coming-of-age story. ( )
  mclesh | Sep 2, 2014 |
Fast but fantastic read. A solid story. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible