The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 1968)

by S. E. Hinton

Member:tincherb
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S. E. Hinton
Info:Laurel Leaf (1968), Mass Market Paperback, 156 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult fiction, the outsiders, s..e. hinton

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

English (398)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (403)
I guess it's never too late to read a "classic". _The Outsiders_, by S. E. Hinton, was not something that I had been required to read in school, so it is as an adult taking a YA Literature course that I have finally gotten around to it. Yes, there is a timelessness to the battling of social groups, or hatred for the "other", which keeps this novel in the category of enduring classics. But there is also a dated-ness to it that makes me wonder whether young adults actually enjoy _The Outsiders_, or if it is those nostalgically looking back to when they first read the novel that keep it as a YA Classic? ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Jan 29, 2015 |
Reading this book at 40 transported me back to the first time I read it, when I was 14. This book symbolized all of my teenage angst--who hasn't felt like an Outsider? Even after all of these years, it still resonates with me. The characters are richly drawn and have interesting and touching emotional lives just under their tough exteriors. I think it manages to be contemporary, even though the names of the groups in conflict change. The themes feel universal and timeless, even if the language seems dated ("Golly!). Overall, a classic. ( )
  lisamunro | Jan 16, 2015 |
This book is really intense. The prose itself isn't well written, but the story is worth reading. A bit mature for YA though. ( )
  tpollack | Jan 11, 2015 |
First published in 1967 by 17-year-old Susan Eloise Hinton. I read this title twenty-something years ago in high school and recently decided to re-read it and see if it was as good as I remembered - and it was! I really love the narrative of 14-year-old Ponyboy Curtis - being raised by his two older brothers after their parents die in an accident. The social divisions between the socs (short for 'social') with all their money, and the greasers (from the bad side of town) and the two sides always having to watch their backs between rumbles. The book is open and honest, not skirting around the issues but facing them head on. The reference to Robert Frost’s poem 'Nothing Gold Can Stay' is beautiful and has stayed with me from the first time I read the book:

Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay. ( )
  boppisces | Dec 20, 2014 |
Still on of my favorite book that I've read. It is a coming of a age book that students will be able to relate to. Also it brings love yet a mystery and gangs to reach all students. ( )
  magarcia | Nov 30, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,141,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible