The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 1968)

by S. E. Hinton

Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S. E. Hinton
Info:Laurel Leaf (1968), Mass Market Paperback, 156 pages
Tags:young adult fiction, the outsiders, s..e. hinton

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

English (408)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (413)
Good read. it was inspiring to know a high school student wrote this book. ( )
  PhilKSwift | Nov 12, 2015 |
This is personally one of my favorite books and even though I read it in eighth grade it still resonates with me to this day. The characters were so realistic and detailed that it felt as though you knew them personally and you were present in the story with them. Ponyboy's narrative is captivating and is the leading force that draws you into this exciting, dramatic, and unique story. ( )
  teddysiegel | Nov 5, 2015 |
Read this for the library book club, even though I probably should have read it long ago. I don’t think it was ever required reading, but I feel like it’s one of those books everyone’s read - and I hadn’t! Until now. It was an ok book, I might have liked it more if I were younger. The story was interesting but not especially well-written. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Wow! I never read this in high school. Did I miss a good book! I loved this book. It resonated so much. The characters were great. I loved the first person point-of-view. I became part of the book as I was reading it. I bawled my eyes out at Johnny's letter to Ponyboy. Fantastic! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Sep 30, 2015 |
This book has been on my to read list for a very long time. I didn't realize it was written by a 16 year old girl. I see why it has been popular for years and why teenagers tend to love this book. Stay golden. ( )
  EllsbethB | Sep 13, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)
"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita
Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

S. E. Hintonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,888,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible