The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders (original 1967; edition 2006)

by S. E. Hinton

Member:ZombiGirl
Title:The Outsiders
Authors:S. E. Hinton
Info:Speak (2006), Edition: PLATINUM EDITION, Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (1967)

English (439)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  All (443)
Very realistic teenage angst and problems, probably timeless. Depressing to read such a realistic book. Not one of my favorites ( )
  deldevries | Nov 16, 2016 |
The Outsiders is a great book that teaches the reader about friendship and not judging people before getting to know them. The amazing thing about this book is that it was written more than forty years ago, yet the problems in the book are problems we still face today. No matter where we go, it seems like people will always be broken into groups based on what we wear, where we come from, or what we like to do. This book taught me that all people should be treated the same, no matter where we come from. We can find similarities in each other just as easily as we can find differences. Overall the book is fun to read, action packed, and at the same time morally impactful. ( )
  nhinphy | Nov 10, 2016 |
Ponyboy is a greaser - a borderline hoodlum. He's 13 going on 20. But he's also smart, does well in school, likes to read, and tries to avoid the worst of the crimes his gang of older friends and his two brothers get involved in. Pony is forced to grow up fast and come to terms with a lot, when he and Johnny, another young member of the gang, are jumped by their rivals, and Johnny kills one of them.

A coming of age story in a life that's rapidly spiraling out of control. Excellent. ( )
  fingerpost | Oct 26, 2016 |
Very well written book that gets the reader interested and wanting to know more. ( )
  Nawras13 | Oct 23, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this novel. One of the main reasons I liked the story was because it was very realistic as well relatable to some degree. For example, the kids didn't fit in because they didn't have enough money. Today in society, it's all about what you're worth, who you know, and the connections you've made in your life. In addition, I liked the main character Pony Boy. He was a very honest character and had to grow up faster than his friends because he lost his parents at a young age. I enjoyed reading a book that wasn't extremely positive and upbeat because this opened my eyes to the hardships people have to go through. The main message of the book is that money doesn't matter and that everyone can be heroic in their own special way. ( )
  AlexaLevine | Oct 18, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book the Outsiders. I liked this book because it shows two seperate societes(greaser and the socs) can make make people very divided. But the strange thing is is that some of the people from each group don't want to be either and are similar in their ideas. This wass shown best through Cherrry and Ponyboy. I reccomend this book to anyone who likes a good book
added by acceleratedenglish | editStudent, Jack (Nov 10, 2011)

"The outsiders" was published in 1967, written by a 16 year old girl from US that was trying to write about the reality about teenagers on their hometowns.
Ponyboy Curtis is the principal character. A 14 year old guy from "Tulsa" with two older brothers named Sodapop and Darry. Their parents just died on an accident, they didn't had much money and were bullied and beaten by a group of rich guys.
Ponyboy and his brothers had a group with other two friends named Dallas Winston (Dally) and Johnny Cade. This group fight with the rich guys group.
Once, they were at the movies and met some girls that acted friendly with them and talked with them but whe they go out from the movies Ponyboy and the group find out that the girls had boyfriends and the boyfriends were part of the rich group..This meant MORE FIGHT!
My mood, or feeling for the story of the book changed when Johnny wanted to die and actually died.
I think sometimes be a criminal it's not something you want to do, sometimes it's an obligation.

UNKNOWN WORDS.
*Madras: a light cotton fabric of various weaves especially one inmulticolored plaid or stripes, used in clothes. Noun. pg. 5
*Gallantly, adv: Smartly or boldly stylish. pg 39
*Shuddered, verb: To vibrate; quiver. pg 65
*Huddled, verb: To crowd together, as from cold or fear. pg 80
*Pleaded, verb: To appeal earnestly. pg 124
added by juanita.gomez | editb, gomez.juanita

Ponyboy can count on his brothers. And on his friends. But not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids whose idea of a good time is beating up "greasers" like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect—until the night someone takes things too far. Susan Eloise Hinton's acclaimed first novel, The Outsiders, was originally published in 1967 when she was a freshman in college and is as powerful now as it was then. She wrote it in response to a "greaser" friend of hers getting beaten up by a gang of "socs" and all the characters she says are "loosely based" on the people she knew growing up.
added by kthomp25 | editSyndetics

S. E. Hintonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jimmy
When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.

This book is about a neighborhood gang, called the greasers, that gets into a fight with another group and one of the other groups members is killed by the greasers and now the two that killed the boy are on the run. While they are in hiding, they try to change their appearance, and they get help from their friends and fellow gang members. While in hiding, the two boys tried to save a class that went into the burning building where the boys were staying and they got seriously hurt in the process, and came very close to dying.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014038572X, Mass Market Paperback)

According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. This classic, written by S. E. Hinton when she was 16 years old, is as profound today as it was when it was first published in 1967.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A revealing account of the tensions, fears, and frustrations of gang life from a teenage boy's point of view.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141314575, 0141189118

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,755,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible