Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes…

Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil (2007)

by Deborah Rodriguez

The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad (citygirl)
    citygirl: A more erudite study of the lives of people in modern-day Kabul, by a Norweigan journalist who was allowed access to all parts of a large family.
    Honeymoon in Tehran by Azadeh Moaveni (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both these books explore the themes of Western women living in Middle Eastern countries and adjusting to a new culture.
    Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town by Warren St. John (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both these books tell powerful and inspirational stories about women making drastic differences in the lives of others.

English (76)  Catalan (1)  All languages (77)
Need to read this again to know how I feel about it.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
While I understand the author's intent in doing what she did and admire her courage and fortitude, I had a hard time figuring out the timeline and keeping track of who was who among the people listed. People floated in and out of her narrative with little explanation. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Audio book read by Bernadette Dunne
2.5**

Rodriguez impulsively went to Afghanistan while escaping a bad marriage and looking for meaning to her life. Willing and eager to work, she came up with the idea of teaching the oppressed women of Afghanistan skills they could use to support themselves and their families. So, she started a beauty school with a combination of product donations, grants and private funding.

The atrocities to which Afghani women are subject are infuriating to most Westerners, but this isn’t new information any longer. I’m sympathetic to the cause and applaud anyone’s efforts to make a difference. Debbie’s continued inability to understand the cultural differences, however, really irritated me. It’s no surprise that the “authorities” eventually shut her down, though it is definitely a great pity. I certainly hope that the women she encountered have been able to continue use the skills she taught them, for their own sense of self-worth and to engage with other women.

Bernadette Dunne does a pretty good job of the audio. It’s not her fault that the material she has to work with isn’t stellar.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
This book is written by an American woman who travels to Afghanistan and starts a beauty school. At first I was a little skeptical of the idea, thinking that there are much better things she could be doing with her time. However, as she continued to tell her story, I became more convinced that a beauty school was actually quite ideal. Having few career options, the beauty school empowered Afghan women to make a living for themselves. The school also provided the women with a supportive community.

The book was interesting, but I don't think it will really stick with me. The writing style was a little dull and I found the author to be annoying and naive at times. I really would like to know the perspective of the Afghan women about their experiences at the beauty school. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I have been meaning to read this book for a long time, especially after having read READING LOLITTA IN TEHRAN. It was an enjoyable read and made me extremely thankful that I live where I do. Ms. Rodriguez should be highly commended for her work in Afganistan.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |

Deborah Rodriguezprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ohlson, KristinAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luckily, I am a lady
Mariam of my own epoch

I have conscience,
Intelligence and talent
But am fated to continue
Existence
In captivity behind the
Bars of prison of life
As if I am a jail-bird

I want to declare my feelings
But nobody seems to realize me

I am being asked to stay thoroughly out of sight,
In the darkness
Why?
Because it is easy for them to disgrace me and discard me

They have covered me from head to toe
Amputated my legs
Shut my mouth

Oh!
I want to be known
If not as I am a female
But through my knowledge

Let the years go
Let them have my written words

One day they will ask whose
unique words are these

Maybe at that time they will
Know me as
a female who can do something

I am hopefull...
                                 Farida Alimi
This book is dedicated to my father, Junior Turner, who passed away June 5, 2002, while I was on my first trip to Afghanistan. Dad, I never got a chance to tell you about Afghanistan and the school. You left me too soon. I know you would love Sam, my husband—he is just like you, but Afghan style. I know you would be worried, but also very happy that I am following my dream. I miss you.
The women arrive at the salon just before eight in the morning.

Soon after the fall of the Taliban, in 2001, Deborah Rodriguez went to Afghanistan as part of a group offering humanitarian aid to this war-torn nation. Surrounded by men and women whose skills–as doctors, nurses, and therapists–seemed eminently more practical than her own, Rodriguez, a hairdresser and mother of two from Michigan, despaired of being of any real use. Yet she soon found she had a gift for befriending Afghans, and once her profession became known she was eagerly sought out by Westerners desperate for a good haircut and by Afghan women, who have a long and proud tradition of running their own beauty salons. Thus an idea was born.

With the help of corporate and international sponsors, the Kabul Beauty School welcomed its first class in 2003. Well meaning but sometimes brazen, Rodriguez stumbled through language barriers, overstepped cultural customs, and constantly juggled the challenges of a postwar nation even as she learned how to empower her students to become their families’ breadwinners by learning the fundamentals of coloring techniques, haircutting, and makeup.

Yet within the small haven of the beauty school, the line between teacher and student quickly blurred as these vibrant women shared with Rodriguez their stories and their hearts: the newlywed who faked her virginity on her wedding night, the twelve-year-old bride sold into marriage to pay her family’s debts, the Taliban member’s wife who pursued her training despite her husband’s constant beatings. Through these and other stories, Rodriguez found the strength to leave her own unhealthy marriage and allow herself to love again, Afghan style.

With warmth and humor, Rodriguez details the lushness of a seemingly desolate region and reveals the magnificence behind the burqa. Kabul Beauty School is a remarkable tale of an extraordinary community of women who come together and learn the arts of perms, friendship, and freedom.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:36 -0400)

"Soon after the fall of the Taliban, in 2001, Deborah Rodriguez went to Afghanistan as part of a humanitarian aid group. Surrounded by people whose skills--as doctors, nurses, and therapists--seemed eminently more practical than her own, Rodriguez, a hairdresser and mother from Michigan, despaired of being of any real use. Yet she found she had a gift for befriending Afghans, and once her profession became known she was eagerly sought out by Westerners desperate for a good haircut and by Afghan women, who have a long and proud tradition of running their own beauty salons. Thus the idea for the Kabul Beauty School was born. Within that small haven, the line between teacher and student quickly blurred as these vibrant women shared with Rodriguez their stories and their hearts, ultimately giving her the strength to leave her own unhealthy marriage and allow herself to love again, Afghan style."--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,895,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible