dismiss

Touch the Art: Pop Warhol's Top by Julie…

Touch the Art: Pop Warhol's Top (edition 2006)

by Julie Appel, Amy Guglielmo

It’s pop, with a twist--a fun collection of works by such 20th century masters as Warhol, Lichtenstein, and Hockney that turns the art world into a fingertip sensation. What could be better than pulling on the lettuce in Claes Oldenburg’s Two Burgers with Everything? Or stroking the fluffy eyelashes on Warhol’s pink-toned Marilyn? It’s an experience kids will never forget.… (more)
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:Touch the Art: Pop Warhol's Top
Authors:Julie Appel
Other authors:Amy Guglielmo
Info:Sterling (2006), Edition: BRDBK, Board book, 24 pages
Tags:R19

Touch the Art: Pop Warhol's Top by Julie Appel

This book introduces young children to pop art in a fun and engaging manner. Each page spread displays a work from a pop art master, including the titular Warhol as well as others like Keith Haring and Roy Lichtenstein. The rhyming narrative doesn't pull a full story together, but each page asks for the reader's participation in some fashion or another ("clap your hands," "Can you move your dancing feet?"). Of course, a lot of the interactive calls also involve the touch-and-feel aspect of the book, inviting children to feel soft, scratchy, and shiny elements, among others. As this title deals with a very specific subset of modern art, it seems to have boxed itself in a little; even in such a short book, we see two works each from Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein, rather than branching out to include more artists.

The lack of a cohesive narrative as well as the repetition of certain artists made this book my least favorite (so far) in the Touch the Art series. But that being said, when I read this book to my 3-year-old niece, she listened closely as I read the words aloud and then she carefully examined each touch-and-feel picture. It definitely held her attention, and I think it would be a hit in my toddler classroom as well.

The book ends with a brief paragraph about each artist represented in its pages, but this section seems to be geared more toward parents/caregivers who are interested in learning more than for the children themselves. I could see how this book would be helpful for parents who want to share their love of modern art as well as for those who are about to bring/recently brought their children to an art museum - with the caveat of course that the children can touch the book but not the art! ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 11, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,651,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible