Azure Secrets by Patricia Rice

Azure Secrets (edition 2019)

by Patricia Rice (Author)

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Azure Secrets
Authors:Patricia Rice (Author)
Info:Book View Cafe (2019), 351 pages
Collections:ebooks, Working on
Tags:Fic, Romance, Romance:Paranormal, !ER, _import190509

Azure Secrets (Crystal Magic Book 5) by Patricia Rice

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not read Books 1-4 in the Crystal Magic series, but this book seems to stand alone. The first half of the book was slow-paced, but I liked this pace. It gave me time to get to know the town of Hillvale's main characters and its quaint attitude. Around the halfway mark, the slow pace got even slower and I found the plotline somewhat confusing. Where did the kidnapped baby come into the mix all of a sudden? For all I knew, she was a figment of someone's imagination. The pace was sluggish almost to a crawl. I would try another book by this author, but I can't readily recommend this one. ( )
  JavaDavis | May 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Former foster child Fiona arrives in the small town of Hillvale hoping to finally find a place to call home. Fee is a cook with the ability to smell what foods her customers need, and, more dangerously, which are hiding evil intentions. On her first day in town, she witnesses a hit and run. It soon becomes clear that this wasn’t an accident and is related to a crime Fiona witnessed in the city. With the help of the sexy mayor, a small dog, and a town full of characters, many who have powers of their own, can Fee stop the bad guys and find a forever home?

Azure Secrets is the fifth book in the Crystal Magic series by Patricia Rice. I have read, and enjoyed, other books by this author. I haven’t read the earlier books in this series, but that didn’t interfere with my enjoyment of this book. This small town was full of fun and quirky characters and I now have to get the earlier books in the series to read more about them, As in other books I have read by Rice, this book is full of humour, suspense, mystery and romance. I always enjoy her characters. She writes smart and independent women and strong, but not overbearing, men.

I would recommend this series for readers who enjoy romantic suspense with a some paranormal elements and a lot of humour. ( )
  carod | May 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for an honest review. This is listed as book 5 of a series for which I haven't read the first books. That said, this was a very good story that appears to stand alone just fine. I had no trouble following the story, not sure what I missed but I will have to go back and start with book 1 now as I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This story is written following Feona, a troubled young woman who appears to have trouble following her. She has the ability to smell people and determine what food they need or what food combinations are needed to produce some desired reaction. This sounds very odd but her abilities and those around her make for a very good story. Definitely recommended reading. ( )
  scmerritt | May 20, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I have always enjoyed reading Patricia Rice's historical romances, particularly appreciating the quirkiness of her mix of paranormal women and sceptical men. This story is another of the same kind (with links to the earlier historical series, although there is no need to have read the earlier series to understand the story). One thing that immediately struck me with this book is how much Patricia Rice has grown as a writer. The writing in this story is assured and confident and of the "just right" type - not too much or too little of any description and with no annoying repetition of stock phrases or words.

From the first page, it was obvious that the reader was in the hands of a writer at the top of her game so I was able to sigh, relax and settle in to just enjoy the story - and it was a story worth enjoying. The hero and heroine are well developed, complex characters and the secondary characters (many of whom have their own stories in earlier books in this current series) are equally well fleshed out. The paranormal aspects aren't overplayed or over-emphasised with a near perfect balance between tolerance of the unusual and questioning of paranormal abilities.

The story is a mix of a mystery, thriller and romance with the added fillip of two lost characters finding where they belong, discovering an accepting community and coming home. It was that part of the story that particularly resonated with me as it added a lovely depth to the romance and made this a story about relationships of all sorts, from romantic to parental.

I read this in one long sitting and think anyone after a comfort read that is so much more than a romance would find it as entrancing as I did. ( )
  flusteredduck | May 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read other books by this author that I have enjoyed but I really loved this one. Monty and Fee along with the "Lucies" really had depth to them. Good suspense too ( )
  stormy50 | May 12, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Patricia Rice's book Azure Secrets is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,854,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible