The Darkness Around Us is Deep: Selected Poems of William Stafford

by William Stafford

1956104,555 (4.38)2
Bestselling author Robert Bly selects his favorite works by the award-winning poet William Stafford.

A 2.5, really. And I really didn't care for Bly's introduction. I'll have to try some of Stafford's that are his own collection. ( )
  giovannaz63 | Jan 18, 2021 |
A collection of William Stafford's poems broken up into Family and Children, Traveling through the Dark, Speaking the Native American Part in Him, Mother's Voice and Father's Voice, Rescuing Some Years in Kansas, and The Refusal to Serve War. These are truly some of his best.
  rikardh | Jul 25, 2009 |
A wonderful collection of Stafford's pieces. While some are a bit cliche and a very few others are a bit pedantic, for the most part Stafford allows the reader to draw his own conclusions. in particular, his recasting of inaction as a powerful statement (likely drawn from his conscientious objector status) makes recurrent appearances in this collection. Worth reading for any poet enthusiast - not at all highbrow or difficult to understand. ( )
  warmaiden | Dec 14, 2007 |
Disregard the exuberant and immoderate introduction by Robert Bly; some of the poems suffer from the pompous cliches of a hyperbolic era, but many are sharp. ( )
  dmturner | Jul 29, 2007 |
I think we should read these poems to children from birth. If I had to introduce someone to poetry, I'd start here. Straightforward and wise, Easily understood and yet profound enough to warrant numerous rereadings. I can't count the times I've read A Ritual To Read To Each Other. American children should specifically memorize that poem. ( )
  michaelmatejka | Jul 14, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,624,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible