Unexpected (Start Up in the City Book 1) by…

Unexpected (Start Up in the City Book 1) (edition 2019)

by Kelly Rimmer (Author)

332,911,627 (2.67)None
Member:SimplyKelina
Title:Unexpected (Start Up in the City Book 1)
Authors:Kelly Rimmer (Author)
Info:HQN Books (2019), Edition: Original, 384 pages
Rating:***

Unexpected (Start Up in the City Book 1) by Kelly Rimmer

Recently added byPelusa41, SimplyKelina, ayoshina

No tags.

This was just an ok book to me. I found it a little slower than I like my books to go, both Abby and Marcus annoyed me. Abby wants a baby and since it seems she is on biological clock to have a child she decides that now is the time, however and with whomever possible. Marcus offers his services to be baby daddy. This part was ridiculous to me not that he would but-so here's the thing he is a commitment phobe and supposedly in love with Abby but he wont admit to even himself yet everyone around them knows. Abby is lying to herself also since they had a kiss months ago and since she does not want to mess up their relationship she buries her head in the sand. When they try to conceive it is back and back and forth, just grow up and have real communication before you try ti bring another life in the mix.

Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) voluntarily reviewed with my own thoughts and opinions. ( )
  Pelusa41 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I was sent this book from the publisher. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

I love Kelly Rimmer, so when I saw she was coming out with a romance I knew I wanted to read it. Better yet, this is a friends to lovers romance which made it even better.

I really enjoyed that this involved older characters as Abby is 32 years old. I actually loved the friendship between Abby and Marcus. The friendship is developed prior to the emotional/physical relationship happening and I really appreciated it. You really believe they were best friends. Most stories will say they were best friends, but they are throwing themselves at each other by the end of the first chapters. I liked that this is not what happened with this couple.

This does deal with fertility issues, but not really. It does not get into the emotional trauma or hit that emotional level as it really is only the on the surface. I know this is the main thing around why the romance happens, but it was not as emotional as I thought it would be. I am a person in my 30s struggling with infertility and it did not trigger me. I was able to connect a little more with Abby though due to my own struggles. I did cry in the end based on this connection.

Yes, this was a little slower paced and there is not too much going on besides the building of their relationship. There is a little extra drama thrown in with the father of Marcus coming into the picture. The story itself was predictable, but I still enjoyed it.

Overall, this one was good and I liked it. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Apr 15, 2019 |
I was intrigued by the whole best friends turn lovers dynamic but I just couldn't resonate with “Unexpected”. I'm not sure if it was Kelly Rimmer book format or writing style, it was just hard to keep focus on the story and eventually it felt more like a chore to read. As much as I appreciate the ARC, this series just wasn't for me and I decided to drop it ¼ through. ( )
  ayoshina | Mar 14, 2019 |

Co-parenting with her best friend. What could go wrong?

The next three decades of Abby Herbert’s life are as carefully planned out as the last three were. Best career ever? Check. Great friends, one of whom she lives with in a stunning Tribeca apartment? Check. Perfect man to share her dream family? Surely just a matter of time. But then she gets devastating news from her doctor—if she wants to get pregnant, she needs to get started on that by…well, yesterday. On the bright side, she has the perfect person in mind to be the father.

Tech entrepreneur Marcus Ross has been harboring decidedly not-friends feelings toward Abby. He doesn’t want to lose her and, knowing his feelings are one-sided, he’s been trying to move on. When he learns about the curveball Abby’s just been hit with, he promises to be there for her however she wants him to be, even if the idea of fatherhood is a little complicated for him right now. But it isn’t long until boundaries start to blur, and a deal struck between friends starts to turn into something perilously close to feelings that could change everything…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,206,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible