The Man Who Walked through Time: The Story…

The Man Who Walked through Time: The Story of the First Trip Afoot through…

by Colin Fletcher

Desert Solitaire: A Season in the Wilderness by Edward Abbey (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Both published in 1968, they are twin peaks at the beginning of a new awakening about the environment.

Over a two-month period in 1963, Colin Fletcher became the first man to walk the length of Grand Canyon National Park below the rim of the canyon. Before his trip, no one was even sure whether a passable route existed through the whole canyon. In this book, he talks about his experience, how he accomplished his goal, and what he learned before, during, and after his trip.

I was really excited to read about this book when I first found it since I love nature and would love to have had this kind of experience; however, the book didn’t live up to my expectations for some reason. There was a lot of technical explanation and geographical descriptions that I didn’t really understand. I also think that the impression this kind of experience makes on a person isn’t something that can easily be put into words, so that may have been a reason the book fell flat for me. I did really like his explanation of how geographical time works on a completely different scale than human time. The idea that humans have existed for such a small part of the universe’s life is something that I’ve been running into a lot lately, and the Grand Canyon is just another example of the billions of years it takes for really significant natural changes to occur. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
One of my all time favorites ... early Colin Fletcher; deepened my desire to explore the Grand Canyon. ( )
  mschooling | Oct 23, 2015 |
I thought I'd like this and at the very beginning, I did. But really, although the author did something pretty cool, it wasn't overly daunting. There was not the amount of danger you come across in some other extreme nature challenges (or if there was, he didn't clearly give that impression. And really, it wasn't a book so much about the canyon, but about Colin Fletcher's own quest...and he annoyed me a little.

He went into so much detail about what he was carrying and little things he saw - he went into detail about how annoyed he was when he saw signs of man in the canyon at times, but he doesn't go into detail about what happened to all the trash he generated from supplies grabbed at arranged air drops. And there's no way he was carrying it out.

Beyond that, there was just a tone that ended up grating against my nerves. I could imagine he wouldn't be the best travel companion. I'd take Bill Bryson over this any day for the humor, or other more serious travel adventure for the level of talent in the writing and the lack of egotism. ( )
  Sean191 | Dec 7, 2013 |
A good solid read- still. ( )
  ziska | May 5, 2012 |
A great look at some on who spent a life walking while considering philosophy, history, and methodologies.One of my favorite saying from Colin is: Hell is where the police are Italian, the politicians are French and the cooks are English...... ( )
  asails | Mar 24, 2011 |
It would probably be a good thing to look first at some hard, objective facts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679723064, Paperback)

Colin Fletcher is a self-described "compulsive walker." It is not unusual for him to pick up a map, drive to an area that intrigues him, and then start walking. It should come as no surprise then that a detour from U.S. 66 to visit the Grand Canyon on a June morning in 1963 inspired Fletcher to walk the length of the Canyon below the rim. In The Man Who Walked Through Time Fletcher recounts his amazing journey. For two months Fletcher struggled against heat and cold, lack of water and dwindling supplies. The terrain was, at times, nearly impassible, yet despite the physical hardships, Fletcher came away from his experience with a new awareness of how humans fit into the vast scheme of things. He writes, for example, of meeting a rattlesnake on Beaver Sand Bar: "Now I am no rattlesnake aficionado. The first rattler I met scared me purple, and killing it seemed a human duty.... Yet by the end of that California summer I no longer felt an unreasoning fear of rattlers.... Instead, I accepted them as organisms with a niche in the web of life. Accepted them, that is, as fellow creatures."

The Man Who Walked Through Time is a remarkable account of a journey both physical and spiritual. It is also a record of the Grand Canyon as it was before the massive influx of tourism. Fletcher's descriptions of the spectacular geography, the wildlife, and the remnants of much older cultures serve to remind us that the Grand Canyon has been around longer than humankind and may well outlast us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,083,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible