A Severed Wasp by Madeleine L'Engle

Satisfying! A novel of unceremonious surprises, saying what it needs to say without saying every little thing. I should have figured it would be about so much more than Madame Vigneras's "retirement." I'd been waiting to read it ever since I read The Small Rain, and it was quite worth the wait. It hit me as a lover of literature, an artist, and a writer. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Katherine Forrester Vigneras, in a continuation of her story from The Small Rain, returns to new York City from Europe to retire. Now in her seventies, she encounters an old friend from her Greenwich Village days who, it turns out, is the former Bishop of New York. He asks Katherine to give a benefit concert at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. This leads to new demands on her resources—human, artistic, psychological, and spiritual—that are entirely unexpected.
  SFCC | May 31, 2013 |
This book is concerned with the unreasonableness of love, and how love transforms. The characters are deep, complex and self-aware, for the most part. One complaint I have is that L'Engle has some gay characters in this book, but it's clear that she just doesn't *get* it.

This is a sequel to one of her earliest novels, [b:The Small Rain|251947|The Small Rain (Vigneras, #1)|Madeleine L'Engle|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173150818s/251947.jpg|449236], and reading them one after the other brings a few things about L'Engle into sharp focus. The foremost is how much she grew as a writer in the years between these books. It's also clear that she stayed true to her central message, that love in all its facets is the engine which powers the universe. It's a message I embrace.

There's a scary undercurrent to this novel, set in a grim and nearly lawless New York. It's a morally complex, challenging novel, and I enjoyed it mightily. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
The sequel to A Small Rain. It was fascinating to see the years that had gone by in terms of L’Engle’s writing and approach to life and religion and all sorts of things. I don’t think either book will ever rank in my favorites, but I did like it, especially for the wrapping-up of a couple of stories from the Austin books. ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
The book was slow to get me interested, but by the end I could not put it down. The characters were well developed that I felt comfortable with them and did not want to see them go. (Even if I didn't like a bunch of them!) I would recommend this book. ( )
  Coffeelite212 | Aug 27, 2010 |
For Paul and Brenda, Jim and Pam
The very size of the Cathedral was a surprise.

Katherine Forrester Vigneras, in a continuation of her story from The Small Rain, returns to New York City from Europe to retire. Now in her seventies, she encounters an old friend from her Greenwich Village days who, it turns out, is the former Bishop of New York. He asks Katherine to give a benefit concert at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine. This leads to new demands on her resources--human, artistic, psychological, and spiritual--that are entirely unexpected.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:12 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible