A Son of the Circus by John Irving

A Son of the Circus (1994)

by John Irving

Recently added byWozilla, labrick, Jill3170, anni66, DShaunS, DeanieG, ryanlack, private library, Lolanta
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen
    The Fourth Hand by John Irving (kpriester)
    kpriester: one of the tangents in the story continues
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Booksloth)

A little slow for me to get into, but quite entertaining once I did. Dr. Durawalla was very endearing once I got used to him Nancy, Patel, Rahul and the inimitable twins Dahor and Martin, were wonderfully drawn characters. The plot was a little weak as far as I was concerned, though. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
I continue to be a fan of John Irving.....the stories just go 'on-and-on' and somehow, i always want to keep reading. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Aug 15, 2014 |
People keep telling me to read Irving, but up to now I've never really got into one of his novels. I picked this one up on holiday and made the effort to stick with it: I'm not completely convinced, but it was probably just about worth finishing.

I found it rather long and rambling, but with patches of very engaging detail. Research is clearly one of Irving's strengths, but he doesn't seem to be good at discarding material he doesn't need. Of the big plot threads, the one about emigration and deracination wasn't particularly interesting, but I did enjoy the way the book plays around with the conventions of crime fiction and with the way in which the narratives we construct about other people can come back and affect our and their lives. ( )
  thorold | Aug 6, 2014 |
My second John Irving, it was definitely a bit weirder than the first I read (which was The Cider House Rules). At first I found it a bit hard to get into; a lot of different characters were introduced and the story jumped around a lot. However, I got more engaged as it progressed and by the last third or so I was heavily engrossed in it. The writing, descriptions, and characterizations were of course wonderful, being John Irving. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |

John Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Commandeur, SjaakTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Salman
Het waren in de regel de dwergen waardoor hij steeds terugkeerde - terug naar het circus en terug naar India.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345389964, Mass Market Paperback)

--The Boston Globe
"Dr. Farrokh Daruwalla, reared in Bombay by maverick foes of tradition, educated in Vienna, married to an Austrian and long a resident of Toronto, is a 59-year-old without a country, culture or religion to call his own....The novel may not be 'about' India, but Irving's imagined India, which Daruwalla visits periodically, is a remarkable achievement--a pandemonium of servants and clubmen, dwarf clowns and transvestite whores, missionaries and movie stars. This is a land of energetic colliding egos, of modern media clashing with ancient cultures, of broken sexual boundaries."
--New York Newsday
"HIS MOST DARING AND MOST VIBRANT NOVEL...The story of circus-as-India is told with gusto and delightful irreverence."
--Bharati Mukherjee
The Washington Post Book World
"Ringmaster Irving introduces act after act, until three (or more) rings are awhirl at a lunatic pace....[He] spills characters from his imagination as agilely as improbable numbers of clowns pile out of a tiny car....His Bombay and his Indian characters are vibrant and convincing."
--The Wall Street Journal
"IRRESISTIBLE...POWERFUL...Irving's gift for dialogue shines."
--Chicago Tribune

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:25 -0400)

An Indian-Canadian doctor returns to Bombay to seek a cure for a disease which afflicts circus dwarfs and is caught up in a serial killing of prostitutes. The action is interspersed with commentary on the lot of social misfits: prostitutes, dwarfs, himself--the doctor regarding himself a foreigner in both India and Canada.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,726,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible