A Son of the Circus by John Irving

A Son of the Circus (1994)

by John Irving

2,854None2,028 (3.57)44
Recently added byMiss.Oscar, Alaskan_Bookie, LisaFoxRomance, guylian1609, Marlin.Library, kara.shamy, jasbro, private library
Legacy LibrariesJuice Leskinen
    The Fourth Hand by John Irving (kpriester)
    kpriester: one of the tangents in the story continues
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (Booksloth)

My second John Irving, it was definitely a bit weirder than the first I read (which was The Cider House Rules). At first I found it a bit hard to get into; a lot of different characters were introduced and the story jumped around a lot. However, I got more engaged as it progressed and by the last third or so I was heavily engrossed in it. The writing, descriptions, and characterizations were of course wonderful, being John Irving. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Unusual subject matter, an Indian doctor, who lives in Canada but writes film scripts for a mega star in India and who just loves everything about the Circus! It doesn't come much stranger than that. Dr Daruwalla doesn't feel at home anywhere, so feels out of water wherever he goes. He goes back to India every year to his apartment, goes to his old club The Duckworth club for a taste of old India, but this year there is a murder, which harks back to one that took place over 20 years ago. Dr Daruwalla's journey towards finding the culprit, takes us through some very strange neighbourhoods indeed, and we meet some less than wholesome characters, but the book is somehow captivating and you just have to keep on to the end. Another very good read, with a quriky plot. Great I really liked it1 ( )
  Glorybe1 | Nov 27, 2013 |
Now a Canadian citizen, Dr Farrokh Daruwalla lives and works in Canada but spends some time each year in his place of birth, Bombay, and it is in Bombay and India that we spend our time with him. He maintains his own apartment there with a staff, and pursues his interest in the dwarfs who work in the circuses; and it is in the circus that is seems we might be spending most of our time - but the action does move elsewhere, and often back in time.

As we would expect with John Irving the story is far from straight forward, and includes in addition to the dwarfs, the low life of Bombay including beggars and prostitutes, actors and film stars, gays, transsexuals and other variations, twins, a handsome Bombay film star as much hated as he is loved, and an unusually honest police officer among others. Much of the action centres around the Duckworth Club, a very respectable club with a twenty year waiting list for members. But bringing everything together is a murder that proves to be more than an isolated case.

Farrokh, a family man now in his late fifties, becomes involved with the murders, he has a connection with the first, and he is there when the latest occurs, and his penchant for writing detective stories ensures his involvement.

The Son of the Circus I consider one of Irving's best efforts. Initially I must admit I did not find it immediately involving, but once we got beyond the circus and met met some of the other characters I was completely drawn in and found it captivating, with a number of very endearing characters - along with one or two villains. ( )
1 vote presto | Mar 28, 2013 |
In the author's own words, a novel about an Indian (who is not an Indian), in India, that is not about India. Rather, Dr. Daruwalla is Irving's "everyman", trying to manage and understand life, religion, fate and a sense of foreignness no matter where he is. Interspersed among these deeper matters is a humorous and entertaining tale involving dwarves, circuses, detectives (real and otherwise), separated-at-birth twins, missionaries and a serial killer.

(This is an odd book. The beginning and end both confused me, but I can't really explain why.) ( )
  BrownDeer32 | Dec 7, 2011 |
tja, duurt eeuwig voor het op gang komt, 3 keer gedacht "ik leg het weg". De laatste 200 blz. wel erg goed. Al die hoofdfiguren zijn ver uitgewerkt met werkelijk grappige ticks. Maar het verhaal houdt voor mij een net niet gemakkelijk en leuk midden tusse ( )
1 vote Hopsakee | Apr 2, 2011 |

John Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Commandeur, SjaakTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Salman
Het waren in de regel de dwergen waardoor hij steeds terugkeerde - terug naar het circus en terug naar India.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345389964, Mass Market Paperback)

"A SON OF THE CIRCUS IS COMIC GENIUS....GET READY FOR IRVING'S MOST RAUCOUS NOVEL TO DATE."
--The Boston Globe
"Dr. Farrokh Daruwalla, reared in Bombay by maverick foes of tradition, educated in Vienna, married to an Austrian and long a resident of Toronto, is a 59-year-old without a country, culture or religion to call his own....The novel may not be 'about' India, but Irving's imagined India, which Daruwalla visits periodically, is a remarkable achievement--a pandemonium of servants and clubmen, dwarf clowns and transvestite whores, missionaries and movie stars. This is a land of energetic colliding egos, of modern media clashing with ancient cultures, of broken sexual boundaries."
--New York Newsday
"HIS MOST DARING AND MOST VIBRANT NOVEL...The story of circus-as-India is told with gusto and delightful irreverence."
--Bharati Mukherjee
The Washington Post Book World
"Ringmaster Irving introduces act after act, until three (or more) rings are awhirl at a lunatic pace....[He] spills characters from his imagination as agilely as improbable numbers of clowns pile out of a tiny car....His Bombay and his Indian characters are vibrant and convincing."
--The Wall Street Journal
"IRRESISTIBLE...POWERFUL...Irving's gift for dialogue shines."
--Chicago Tribune

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:46 -0400)

An Indian-Canadian doctor returns to Bombay to seek a cure for a disease which afflicts circus dwarfs and is caught up in a serial killing of prostitutes. The action is interspersed with commentary on the lot of social misfits: prostitutes, dwarfs, himself--the doctor regarding himself a foreigner in both India and Canada.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible