Los vampiros de la mente by Dan Simmons

Los vampiros de la mente (original 1989; edition 1989)

by Dan Simmons, Manuel de Seabra (Translator)

Member:Gargargom
Title:Los vampiros de la mente
Authors:Dan Simmons
Other authors:Manuel de Seabra (Translator)
Info:Barcelona : Ediciones B, 1992
Rating:**1/2

Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons (1989)

Recently added bydaeverett, rnbwpnt, Randulf, Dilvich, luna68, dabbad, private library, ct.bergeron, smichaelwilson

English (26)  French (1)  All languages (27)
Dominer l'autre par une prise de pouvoir totale de son esprit, original comme ses personnages trés forts, les réflexions sur l'éthique, seul point faible , des longueurs! Quelques facilités mais livre très fort! ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Een van mijn all time favorite horror boeken. Ik heb dit boek zeker 3 keer gelezen en heb nu eindelijk de Engelstalige kopie en ben zeker van plan dat ook nog eens te lezen.

Het is even inkomen maar als je er eenmaal inzit is het zo spannend. Ik vergelijk het met Stephen king en Peter Strauss ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Simmons can write. The book could have been cut back some but it's not something to prevent anyone from reading this story. It's got a clever concept at heart and has plenty of creepy moments. if you can get the latest edition where he provides the history to how he broke into writing and his trials with this particular book, I highly recommend it. It's always interesting to get the author's thinking behind his/her work. Writing horror is no easy feat, but Simmons did well with this book. I also credit him for not falling into Hollywood trappings at times. Some characters perish in the book that a Hollywood producer would likely have spared. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Hyperion gets a lot of love but I seldom see any mention of this amazing book. It is very different from Hyperion but that is not unusual for Simmons as he is a very versatile writer. Carrion Comfort is sf/horror of the highest calibre, something Stephen King may write when he is on top form (but with better prose). This book is about people with mind control abilities of different strengths. A lot of riveting plot is generated from this simple premise. I won't go onto any details, I'll just recommend that you do not miss this book even if you don't normally read horror. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
My first book by Simmons, in the past I have been a fan of Stephen King and this was recommended on that basis.

The idea behind the novel is certainly an original one. Walking among us are people with the ability to control others with their mind. By doing this they also sort of feed off our mental energy. The exact number of these is unknown but as the story develops we find that they have had a hand in some of histories greatest events (such as Kennedys assassination). The book starts with Saul Laski a concentration camp prisoner, he is 'mind raped' by a camp commander and forced to act against his will. Over the coming years he continues to attempt to trace the commander to kill him for the intrusion.

Fast forward 30 years of so and we encounter 3 of the 'vampires' in the form of Willi, Melanie and Nina. They meet once a year to discuss the result of a 'completion' they have regarding number of victims and the way in which they were made to act. Meanwhile their fates and that of Laski (together with his new found companions Sheriff Gentry & Natalie) become intertwined as each fights for survival not only from each other but from that of the 'Island Club'. Politics and personal ambitions span the entire novel, accompanied with an extreme lust for power that makes men ruthless.

I won't go into the plot any further than this as there are a great many twists and turns throughout the novel that would be spoiled. Simmons has a knack for pulling the rug from under the reader at just the right time. I don't think that anyone could second guess the next chapter

I was toying with the rating to give this book. For me it was sold as a horror story and one of the creepiest books I was ever likely to read. On that basis I found it a let down. the horror and suspense when it arrived was not really all that horrific and to be honest for the size of the book these were few and far between. However, the characterisation was really well written and I found it easy to empathise with all the main characters, but at nearly 1000 pages I just found the main story dragged on a little too much. If Simmons could have shaved off 2-300 pages I am sure the book would have flown by, as it was I often found myself reading it at 50 page intervals without a real desire to turn the page. At times it seemed a struggle to continue. The other reason I failed to give 5 stars is that being a non chess player I found the drawn out descriptions of the moves in the game a little too much. I agree the game is instrumental for the story to fully work but pages and pages covering the game (even with a few helpful diagrams) proved too much.

All in all not a bad read but unfortunately as an introduction to the author it hasn't filled me with the desire to seek out more of his works. I have given the book 4 stars as I can see why it would appeal to some readers and it certainly does have it's merits. It just wasn't for me. ( )
  Bridgey | May 28, 2014 |
"Not, I'll not, carrion comfort, despair, not feast on thee;

Not untwist—slack they may be—these last strands of man

In me or, most weary, cry I can no more..."

—Gerard Manley Hopkins
This is for Ed Bryant
Saul Laski lay among the soon-to-die in a camp of death and thought about life.
Carrion Comfort was published in France as L'Échiquier du mal in multiple editions. There was a single volume (combined with the main Carrion Comfort work), a two volume set and a four volume set. The boxed sets are combined into the main Carrion Comfort work, but the individual volumes should not be combined together.

THE PAST... Caught behind the lines of Hitler’s Final Solution, Saul Laski is one of the multitudes destined to die in the notorious Chelmno extermination camp. Until he rises to meet his fate and finds himself face to face with an evil far older, and far greater, than the Nazi’s themselves…

THE PRESENT... Compelled by the encounter to survive at all costs, so begins a journey that for Saul will span decades and cross continents, plunging into the darkest corners of 20th century history to reveal a secret society of beings who may often exist behind the world's most horrible and violent events. Killing from a distance, and by darkly manipulative proxy, they are people with the psychic ability to 'use' humans: read their minds, subjugate them to their wills, experience through their senses, feed off their emotions, force them to acts of unspeakable aggression. Each year, three of the most powerful of this hidden order meet to discuss their ongoing campaign of induced bloodshed and deliberate destruction. But this reunion, something will go terribly wrong. Saul’s quest is about to reach its elusive object, drawing hunter and hunted alike into a struggle that will plumb the depths of mankind’s attraction to violence, and determine the future of the world itself…

Three elderly friends, who possess supernatural powers and who feed off of emotions generated during the murders they orchestrate, meet every year to discuss their game, an ongoing competition of mass murder and vampirism.

104 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible