China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh

China Mountain Zhang (original 1992; edition 1997)

by Maureen F. McHugh

Member:lkundin365
Title:China Mountain Zhang
Authors:Maureen F. McHugh
Info:Orb Books (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 324 pages
Rating:*****

China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (1992)

In the 22nd century, when China is the dominant superpower and the US has had a socialist revolution, Zhang is trying to figure out what to do with his life.

Whenever I read futuristic science fiction written during the Cold War that assumes the Soviet Union continued as a superpower, I find myself mentally substituting "China" for Soviet Union, just to keep the story believable for me. Now here's a book written in the '90s that actually does posit China as the dominant superpower, and of course, it's a lot different and more realistic than those Soviet-era books. For one thing, the United States has declined quite a lot, as well as having undergone its own socialist revolution. This version of the near future also brings in questions of race -- people of Chinese ethnicity have privilege here -- sexuality, and gender as well as politics.

This future is not dystopian, not really (although I'm sure many Americans would consider a socialist USA the worst thing that could ever happen). It's far too realistic for that. The characters are all ordinary people with ordinary concerns about work, success, love, and community. I think that's why I enjoyed this book so much--the story is told by real people with the minor concerns of real life, but it maintains a broad scope. The story begins and ends in New York City, but it travels to an Arctic research station, a rich and glittering Shanghai, even Mars.

The characters, however, are all people who don't quite fit into this new normal. The protagonist, Zhang, is gay and half Latino (which has been obscured by genetic manipulation) who must keep both these aspects of himself secret in order to get ahead. He chafes against these restrictions and longs for community, finally choosing to do something very American: he starts his own business. Other sections of the book are told from the points of view of characters that Zhang meets peripherally. One is a Chinese woman with a medical condition that has rendered her "ugly"; once she has that corrected, she unexpectedly faces the possibly worse problems of pretty girls. Another is a loner who has finally moved to a commune on Mars in order to be left alone, but yet finds herself reluctantly helping to build her new community.

These are quiet stories, and the events that take place are not big ones. Without the technological enhancements, all of these stories could take place today. Through her speculative premise, McHugh shines a light on the persistent tensions that characterize the human species: the tension between conformity and individuality, and the desire we all have to make our own lives and to truly be ourselves.

Read for female science fiction/fantasy month (June 2014). ( )
  sturlington | Jul 1, 2014 |
Tiptree winner 1992 ( )
  SChant | May 8, 2013 |
The same friend as gave me Blankets insisted that I should read this. Another life-changing book, for him, a book that came at the right time. He told me that it wasn't like a lot of SF, that it didn't have some great big plot, that it was just about people getting on with their lives.

I didn't really get into it at first. The narrative voice feels strange to me, something I had to get used to. It almost felt like I was reading it in translation -- which would be appropriate enough, given the setting. The setting doesn't take long to figure out: the domination of the Chinese, the communism. It's all pretty easy to absorb, but at the same time I didn't get very into the novel or the characters. I kept reading more for my friend's sake, to try and see what he saw in it, than anything else.

I'm glad I did. It's not a "traditional" novel, I suppose, with the loosely intertwined stories, most of them without any real resolution, like life. I didn't find it life-changing and I don't really have that much to say about it. I didn't find it life-changing, but it was interesting enough to read once I got a little more interested. It's about ordinary people, despite the sci-fi backdrop. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
A very engaging first novel set in a possible future when China controls the United States. Themes of class struggle, sexuality and spirituality woven throughout. Young Zhang is a engineering technician who is just trying to create a stable future for himself, despite the odds stacked against him. I look forward to reading more from Maureen McHugh. ( )
1 vote hayduke | Apr 3, 2013 |

Maureen F. McHughprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barlowe, WayneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romero, Pedro JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A simple way to get to know more about a town is to see how the people work, how they love and how they die. - Albert Camus, The Plague
The foreman chatters in Meihua, the beautiful tongue, Singapore English.
She is very religious and she believes in Marx and Mao Zedong. Do not make the mistake of thinking her stupid; she has to juggle a lot of Kierkegaard and Heiler to explain but she manages a full wipe.
Legally everyone is equal, but even here at the other end of the world in the Socialist Union of American States we all know better than that.
I don't believe in socialism but I don't believe in capitalism either. We are small, governments are large, we survive in the cracks.
I feel inadequate. I know that politics is important, I just don't like to think about it. I don't know what my opinions are, I just know that very little I hear ever seems to have much to do with me, or with my life.
But I am only free in small places. Government is big, we are small. We are only free when we slip through the cracks.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312860986, Paperback)

When talking about this book you have to list the awards it's won--the Hugo, the Tiptree, the Lambda, the Locus, a Nebula nomination--after that you can skip the effusive praise from the New York Times and get to the heart of things: This is a book about a future many don't agree with. It's set in a 22nd century dominated by Communist China and the protagonist is a gay man. These aren't the usual tropes of science fiction, and they aren't written in the usual way. But, wow, it's one heck of a story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:23 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible