Dirt by Stuart Woods

Dirt (1996)

by Stuart Woods

Once upon a time there was a halfway decent thriller writer called Stuart Woods. I wonder whatever happened to him? I can't begin to tell you all the reasons I disliked this book, from the dire plotting to the snobbishness to the to the ghastly characters to the badly written smut.

Try something like his much earlier Under the Lake instead.
  JohnGrant1 | Aug 11, 2013 |
another good book in the Stone Barrington series from author Stuart Woods. ( )
  barb302 | Sep 11, 2011 |
Another great one - Gossip maven becomes a target of blackmail.Did you ever notice that Stuart Woods never describes how Stone Barrington looks? He likes to leave that up to your imagination. I'm thinking Thorsten Kaye (Zach Slater) from All My Children. ( )
  catmommie | Jun 11, 2011 |
I enjoyed this second book in the Stone Barrington series, but he has to be exhausted from the constant dalliances with almost every female character. I will continue to read the series. ( )
  BudBarclay | Jul 14, 2009 |
Well, seems not to be an improvement from the first. I kept wondering from the start if this was where the tv series Dirt originated and that thought stayed as a distraction while I was reading. Everything is just there, there are no real thrills :( ( )
  debavp | Feb 26, 2009 |
This book is for David and Lynn Kaufelt
Dinner had been wonderful - twelve around a gleaming oval table of burled walnut in a dinning room a dozen stories above the light-flecked carpet of Central Park, the cooking by the chef of a famous restaurant a few blocks away, the wines from the host's superb cellar, and company carefully chosen by a couple who could cast a wide net.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061094234, Mass Market Paperback)

Woods seems to write smooth and solid thrillers as fast as most of us read them. Cop-turned-lawyer Stone Barrington of New York Dead returns with all his street smarts intact in this story about a powerful gossipmonger who has the tables turned when dirty pictures of her start appearing on fax machines across the country. The characters are so rich, famous, and upscale that you might get a nosebleed, but Woods has a light, deft touch that makes the book hard to resist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:15 -0400)

Feared and disliked for both her poison pen and ice-queen persona, bicoastal gossip columnist Amanda Dart finds the tables have turned. The unwitting victim of an anonymous gossipmonger who is faxing to national opinion makers an outrageous scandal sheet revealing the details of her ongoing indiscretions with a nationally known takeover artist, Amanda enlists the help of New York lawyer and investigator Stone Barrington to learn the identity of the faxer. Everybody is a suspect in the world of tabloid journalism. As the faxes grow more scathing and begin to expose the peccadilloes of not only Amanda but other members of the gossip community, Barrington winds up with more leads than he can handle and an employer who is about to take matters dangerously into her own hands. The world of gossip is turned on its head. It becomes clear to Stone that even the most respected members of the social scene will stop at nothing - even murder - to clear their names.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,768,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible