Endymion by Dan Simmons

Endymion (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Dan Simmons

2,825None2,074 (3.96)39
Member:brightcopy
Title:Endymion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Bantam (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 468 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:science fiction

Endymion by Dan Simmons (1996)

adventure (9) artificial intelligence (12) Dan Simmons (21) ebook (11) epic (15) fantasy (27) far future (14) fiction (203) hardcover (14) Hyperion (55) Hyperion Cantos (61) mmpb (9) novel (31) own (14) owned (9) paperback (14) read (38) religion (22) science fiction (645) series (30) sf (113) sff (35) shrike (11) Simmons (9) space opera (61) space travel (10) speculative fiction (13) time travel (16) to-read (17) unread (25)

English (21)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (26)
This is an excellent book. I liked it a lot. ( )
  frozenyoghurt | Jan 30, 2014 |
I don't like abandoning a book halfway through -- I'd rather just finish it so nobody can reply to my criticisms with "the ending was amazing, you don't even know". But for me this was one of those books that I put down for a minute and all my interest in the plot completely vanished. The central character, Aenea, doesn't talk like any 12 year old girl I've ever heard, and the story doesn't have the same sense of mystery or building tension that made the first two so good. I'd rather have the interesting mysteries of this universe remain unsolved than learn their answers through a story I don't even care about. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
Again a reread and a great read- my kind of SciFi. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Dec 4, 2013 |
Endymion
By Dan Simmons
Publisher: Bantam Books
Published In: New York City, NY, USA
Date: 1995
Pgs: 468

Summary:
The Fall of Hyperions and the World Web is 274 years in the past. A shepherd, jack of all trades finds himself with a death sentence for crossing one of the favored rich of the Church. Raul Endymion awakens from his death sentence in a hidden place under the care of an android and a poet out of myth and legend. Charged with a quest by the old poet, he sets out to rescue a messiah, travel the collapsed web, and find Old Earth. Father Captain DeSoya follows them, his mission to capture the girl and return her to the Holy See of the Church on Pacem. And the Shrike stalks them all.

Genre:
fiction, science fiction, militaria, space opera

Why this book:
My love of the previous two books in this series.

This Story is About:
facing destiny and duty

Favorite Character:
Raul Endymion is an everyman hero.
It’s wrong that the Shrike is a favorite of mine in this series. It’s a remorseless killing machine, hopscotch teleporting through time and space killing at will...and it’s just one of the best villain/anti-villain/doomsday machines in books, ever.
Father Captain DeSoya grew on me over the course of the book. He’s just a wonderful, fully imagined character.

Least Favorite Character:
M. Heurig...the thrice damned MFer. He’s every fatcat who ever thought that his money, power, and position made him more important than everyone else around him. Course, he is just a precursor to the corruption that DeSoya finds as he explores further on his mission.
And every one of the slimy politicians hiding in clerical robes that populate this book. Politicians might be the wrong term, shills for a power of beyond fits as well.

Character I Most Identified With:
Raul Endymion. Dog lovers will identify with him...severely as regards his “first” death sentence. Swept along by events, doing what he must, doing what’s right, he’s a great character.

The Feel:
As much as I loved Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion, the first few pages of Endymion breaks my heart.

Favorite Scene:
The aftermath of the swimming in space scene. Sure the ship whose AI housed the girl’s father’s persona, who you were just skinny dipping with, didn’t intentionally turn the gravity back on while you were standing under the huge antigravity pool. Sure he/it didn’t.
The too short interlude with Father Glaucus on Sol Draconi Septem. Really wanted to have one of the adult wraiths appear on page/screen.

Settings:
Hyperion, space, starships in transit and in battle, battlefields, the fog of war, the worlds of the old Web, The River Tethys

Pacing:
The pacing on this story is excellent.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
Corporal Nemes inclusion toward the end of the book feels rather deus ex machina. She should have appeared sooner. Maybe not included with Father Captain Federico DeSoya team right away, but more background on who and what she is would have been appreciated.

Last Page Sound:
Damn. It stands up to Hyperion’s Oz march denouement and to the Fall and the Opening of the Tombs in the second book.

Author Assessment:
I will give Dan Simmons my money and my time again. I have only been disappointed once by his storytelling, Drood. And I think that was more a function of the time period he was having to represent and my vile mood and relationship with Great Expectations than a reflection on his writing style or ability.

Editorial Assessment:
100%

Disposition of Book:
Irving Public Library, Irving, TX

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
The Hyperion Cantos and the Endymion Cycle, or whatever it is called, could absolutely be a movie. I stand corrected. The entire cycle of novels are labelled as the Hyperion Cantos: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and The Rise of Endymion.

Casting call:
5 or 10 years ago, Ryan Reynolds would have made an excellent Raul Endymion. Now, I’m not sure who should be in the role. Although, it seems like every time he shows up in a movie critics pan it. I believe they don’t like him. Shrug.
Chloe Moretz as Aenea.
Michael Nouri as Cardinal Lourdusmay.

Would recommend to:
genre fans, Wars, Gate, Battlestar, browncoats, and Trek fans, militaria fans ( )
  texascheeseman | Jul 22, 2013 |
I absolutely love this series. Mixing Sci-fi with literary ideas is fantastic (though Simmons has always done this in his works). 3rd in the series, but still at the same level (if not better than) when it started. ( )
  wodenthewanderer | Apr 2, 2013 |
You are probably reading this for the wrong reason.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553572946, Mass Market Paperback)

Two hundred and seventy-four years after the fall of the WorldWeb in Fall of Hyperion, Raoul Endymion is sent on a quest. Retrieving Aenea from the Sphinx before the Church troops reach her is only the beginning. With help from a blue-skinned android named A. Bettik, Raoul and Aenea travel the river Tethys, pursued by Father Captain Frederico DeSoya, an influential warrior-priest and his troops. The shrike continues to make enigmatic appearances, and while many questions were raised in Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, still more are raised here. Raoul's quest will continue in at least one more volume.

This series has something for everyone: Simmons's prose is imaginative and stylistically varied; point-of-view and time-scale are handled with finesse; the action is always gripping; the device of Old Earth allows Simmons to work in entertaining references to present-day culture; and the technology raises bizarre questions of ethics and morality in its use of repeated death and resurrection.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

An adventure story set in a universe ruled by a church which rewards obedience from its citizenry by dispensing resurrection. The story centers on Raul Endymion, a woodsman from the planet Hyperion, given the task of finding the planet Earth which mysteriously disappeared. By the author of The Fall of Hyperion.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible