Endymion by Dan Simmons

Endymion (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Dan Simmons

Member:brightcopy
Title:Endymion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Bantam (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 468 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:science fiction

Endymion by Dan Simmons (1996)

English (23)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (28)
This quest story set 300 years after the events of the much stronger “Hyperion” novels, was a bit of a let down. A trio of archetypical heroes flee from pursuing elements of the tyrannical empire regime across several planets which are the familiar settings from the earlier novels. While it is interesting to read the developments on those locations in the centuries of aftermath, I was reminded of the similar quest in Asimov’s “Foundation and Earth”, where the protagonist visits several worlds which were the nostalgic settings of some of Asimov’s stories set centuries earlier. Here, however, it is far less compelling as most of the spots have gone to wilderness. Also, the hero characters are a bit two-dimensional, fitting very familiar character patterns: Aenea, "The Holy One” child, who is somehow mystically important, and a threat to the authorities; Raul Endymion, “The Woodsman” guide, who uses his street smarts and survivor skills to protect her; and A. Bettik, “The Man Friday” who loyally and capably serves both.

While the first two novels of Simmons’ Hyperion Cantos made excellent use of multi-protagonist narrative threads to tell the story from multiple perspectives, This novel instead primarily sticks to just two- Raul Endymion and his chief pursuant, Father-Captain Federico de Soya, who is an extremely sympathetic ‘villain’, earnestly carrying out his duty to his shadier superiors. I had a feeling that we’d see some redemption and rehabilitation of this character after the first few examples of his flawless moral behavior, despite his unsavory mission. Most of the evocative tech and philosophical questions lay in his portions of the novel, giving it a much stronger grounding in Space Opera, while Raul’s narrative felt more rustic and terrestrial.

In the end, Endymion is a victim of the earlier novels success and ambition. Outside of their shadow, it might have stood as a great story, but as it happens it is merely a good one. It feels flatter by comparison with it’s fewer character narratives, it’s more linear structure, and smaller-stake drama. ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Jul 11, 2014 |
Like many, I was let down by this continuation of the Hyperion universe. They are still a good read, but it's hard to make up for the fact that they can't stand alongside the first two books. ( )
  ub1707 | May 5, 2014 |
This is an excellent book. I liked it a lot. ( )
  frozenyoghurt | Jan 30, 2014 |
I don't like abandoning a book halfway through -- I'd rather just finish it so nobody can reply to my criticisms with "the ending was amazing, you don't even know". But for me this was one of those books that I put down for a minute and all my interest in the plot completely vanished. The central character, Aenea, doesn't talk like any 12 year old girl I've ever heard, and the story doesn't have the same sense of mystery or building tension that made the first two so good. I'd rather have the interesting mysteries of this universe remain unsolved than learn their answers through a story I don't even care about. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
Again a reread and a great read- my kind of SciFi. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Dec 4, 2013 |
You are probably reading this for the wrong reason.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553572946, Mass Market Paperback)

Two hundred and seventy-four years after the fall of the WorldWeb in Fall of Hyperion, Raoul Endymion is sent on a quest. Retrieving Aenea from the Sphinx before the Church troops reach her is only the beginning. With help from a blue-skinned android named A. Bettik, Raoul and Aenea travel the river Tethys, pursued by Father Captain Frederico DeSoya, an influential warrior-priest and his troops. The shrike continues to make enigmatic appearances, and while many questions were raised in Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion, still more are raised here. Raoul's quest will continue in at least one more volume.

This series has something for everyone: Simmons's prose is imaginative and stylistically varied; point-of-view and time-scale are handled with finesse; the action is always gripping; the device of Old Earth allows Simmons to work in entertaining references to present-day culture; and the technology raises bizarre questions of ethics and morality in its use of repeated death and resurrection.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:25 -0400)

An adventure story set in a universe ruled by a church which rewards obedience from its citizenry by dispensing resurrection. The story centers on Raul Endymion, a woodsman from the planet Hyperion, given the task of finding the planet Earth which mysteriously disappeared. By the author of The Fall of Hyperion.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible