Fear of Flying by Erica Jong

Fear of Flying (1973)

by Erica Jong

English (53)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (58)
This is one of the best feminist (probably erotica?) book I've read! Every woman should read this and be free of any expectations, obligations! I love love Erica Jong! ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Aug 31, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a 40th anniversary copy thanks to the Early Reviewers program, but I didn’t really know what to expect from this book, other than it should be thought-provoking since it is a seminal feminist book. I was nicely surprised by how much I enjoyed it and found that it still resonates to today’s reader. Isadora Wing travels to Vienna with her psycho-analyst husband to attend a conference. Then she takes off on a jaunt through Europe with another man and we are treated to the story of her life. We learn about Isadora’s struggles; what is her role as a woman when she wants to be more than a just a wife and also has sexual fantasies about other men, what does it mean that she’d rather be a writer than a mother, is she strong enough to ever be without a man? One interesting tidbit that resonated with me was how Isadora refused to learn how to type (even though it would help her immensely as a writer) because she felt that would box her in as a stereotypical woman and somehow define her. It made me appreciate that I don’t feel this is the case any longer and allows women the freedom to pursue a full spectrum of skills, jobs, hobbies, etc. ( )
  aliciamay | Aug 28, 2014 |
Really Really good, unexpected. It is amazing that this book was written in the early 70s. Now I just wish I knew what happened after the ending! ( )

Erica Jongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weiner, JenniferIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bigamy is having one husband too many. Monogamy is the same.
- Anonymous (a woman)
Alas! The love of women! It is known
To be a lovely and a fearful thing;
For all of theirs upon that die is thrown,
And if 'tis lost, life hath no more to bring
To them but mockeries of the past alone,
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick, and crushing; yet, as real
Torture is theirs -- what they inflict they feel.

They are right; for man, to man so oft unjust,
is always so to women; one sole bond
Awaits them -- treachery is all their trust;
Taught to conceal, their bursting hearts despond
Over their idol, till some wealthier lust
Buys them in marriage -- and what rests beyond?
A thankless husband -- next, a faithless lover --
Then dressing, nursing, praying -- and all's over.

Some take a lover, some take drams or prayers,
Some mind their household, others dissipation,
Some run away, and but exchange their cares,
Losing the advantage of a virtuous station;
Few changes e'er can better their affairs,
Theirs being an unnatural situation,
From the dull palace to the dirty hovel :
Some play the devil, and then write a novel.
         - Lord Byron (from Don Juan)
For
Grace Darling Griffin
And for my grandfather
Samuel Mirsky
Thanks to my intrepid editors:
Aaron Asher and Jennifer Josephy
And thanks to the National Endowment for the Arts for a grant which helped.
And thanks to Betty Anne Clark, Anita Gross, Ruth Sullivan, Mimi Bailin, and Linda Bogin
There were 117 psychoanalysts on the Pan Am flight to Vienna and I'd been treated by at least six of them.

Isadora Wing was afraid of flying.

She was also afraid of her own beauty, brains, physical appetites, intellectual and sexual curiosity.
Then while on a trip to Vienna with her brilliant, handsome psychiatrist husband, Isadora met the man who embodied her most erotic fantasies - and who offered her a chance to conquer all her fears.
What happened to Isadora then was a mad, adulterous bolt across Europe in the wildest, most uninhibited sexual extravaganza that is no longer for men only.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451209435, Paperback)

The 30th Anniversary special!

Originally published in 1973, the ground-breaking, uninhibited story of Isadora Wing and her desire to fly free caused a national sensation—and sold more than twelve million copies. Now, after thirty years, the iconic novel still stands as a timeless tale of self-discovery, liberation, and womanhood.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:43 -0400)

"Originally published in 1973, the groundbreaking, uninhibited story of Isadora Wing and her desire to fly free caused a national sensation. It fueled fantasies, ignited debates, and even introduced a notorious new phrase to the English language. In The New York Times, Henry Miller compared it to his own classic Tropic of Cancer and predicted that "this book will make literary history, that because of it women are going to find their own voice and give us great sagas of sex, life, joy, and adventure." And it went on to sell more than twelve million copies, on the way to becoming a genuine cultural icon. Now the revolutionary novel known as Fear of Flying still stands as a timeless tale of self-discovery, liberation, and womanhood."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fear of Flying (40th Anniversary Edition) by Erica Jong was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible