Flood by Andrew Vachss

Flood (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Andrew Vachss

Series: Burke (1)

Burke's newest client is a woman named Flood, who has the face of an angel, the body of a high-priced stripper, and the skills of a professional executioner.nbsp; She wants Burke to find a monster for her--so she can kill him with her bare hands. In this cauterizing thriller, Andrew Vachss's renegadenbsp;investigator teams up with a lethally gifted avenger to follow a child's murderer through the catacombs of New York, where every alley is blind and the penthouses are as dangerous as the basements.nbsp; Fearfully knowing, crackling with narrative tension, and written in prose as forceful as a hollow-point slug, Flood is Burke at his deadliest--and Vachss at the peak of his form.… (more)
Member:hmvh
Title:Flood
Authors:Andrew Vachss
Info:Pocket (1986), Paperback, 343 pages

Flood by Andrew Vachss (1985)

English (10)  German (1)  All languages (11)

Burke's newest client is named Flood, a young woman, trained in martial arts but naive about the ways of the street who is hunting the man who killed her best friend's child. Flood hears of Burke and enlists his help to find a monster for her, so she can kill him with her bare hands. Flood is the first novel featuring the anti-hero Burke, and the best place to get to know him. Later novels build on top of this introduction. Burke is not a happy man and is filled with an emptiness he calls "The Zero." Abandoned as a child, he grew up hard in the system. Only now as he approaches middle age has he developed any sort of wisdom. He works the gritty streets of New York City and the atmosphere of the city seems extremely authentic.

Originally published in 1985, Flood by Andrew Vachss has been reissued by the Vintage Crime House of Black Lizard Publishing and written in first person, in a hard-boiled noir style. The writing may seem a little dated because it was written so long ago, but the story is quite compelling.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
The first entry in the respected and often controversial series. And it was my introduction to it. Written, as I understand it, as the author’s attempt to bring things like child abuse to light by stealth when he could get no one to listen otherwise. The novel failed to this as well, at least initially. Publishers loved everything about the book except where it dove too realistically into the disturbing and morally corrupt side of life. Today we know Vachss was right, that things like this existed--and, sadly, still exist. At least he no longer fights the fight alone. And in the meantime, he produced a superior novel. We are the better for it. ( )
  JohnWCuluris | Jun 28, 2016 |
I'm conflicted. This is a book that was recommended to me at the same time, in the same breath, as Joe Lansdale's "The Bottoms," which I loved. Andrew is cut from the same cloth, hell, Joe often calls Andrew Vachss his brother. And Burke seems like a great character… a hard-boiled, troubled yet brilliant private investigator with a strong moral compass. I just, I don't know what fell flat for me.
Maybe I had built the book up too much in my own mind, as it sat on my nightstand, waiting for its turn up, the designated heavy hitter to be brought in when I wanted a sure thing. I found Burke interesting, Flood and her quest a great story-driver, but I found myself getting really frustrated with the book. I thought that the book got stuck in these little eddies again and again that it really needn't have. I had to keep reminding myself that I was reading a book whose formula has been copied to death since it came out in 1985, but that was part of the frustration for me, I never felt like I wasn't reading a book, I didn't ever get lost in the story for too long a stretch.
It reminded me a lot of Ken Bruen, and not in a good way. He has the same way of having the protagonist preach at you a little bit, it's just a little bit too self aware for my tastes.
I think I'll give Vachss another shot, after this one, but I'm hoping to get lost in a Burke adventure, instead of being constantly shaken out of it like with this one. ( )
  mhanlon | Apr 21, 2014 |
“Burke would eat Spade and Marlow for breakfast not even spitting out the bones. He is one tough, mean, pray-God-you-don’t-meet-him hombre”
-The Boston Herald

Originally published in 1985, Flood by Andrew Vachss has been reissued by the Vintage Crime House of Black Lizard Publishing. Written in first person, in a hard-boiled noir style, the main character is Burke, a ex-con, ex-mercenary, raised by the state and distrustful to the extreme. Burke has many irons in the fire and one of them is working as a private investigator. He is on a case of tracking down a vicious neo-Nazi child molester. His client for this job is a young woman, Flood, who is on a revenge ride, she wants this man found so she can kill him in retaliation for the deaths of her best friend and her friend’s young daughter.

Burke works the gritty streets of New York City and the author’s familiarity with the depth of this city seems extremely authentic. He stalks through the this tough, mean, scary city with strength of purpose and a knowledge of twisted humans that is both impressive and downright readable.

Harkening back to the 1980’s, this crime novel paints a vivid picture of the ebb and flow of a big city. The author is also a qualified lawyer who represents children and knows the horrors that can be inflicted on the vulnerable. This is the first Burke novel in his series, and I now know that when I want to take a walk on the dark side, these books will get me there and then some. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 26, 2013 |

Andrew Vachssprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huang, GraceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lai, Chin-YeeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Victor Chapin
Yale Lee Mandel
Iberus Hacker (a.k.a. Dan Marcum)
Wesley Everest very different actors
who all left this junkyard of a planet
to work a better room
I got to the office early that morning -- I think it was about ten o'clock.

Dutch translation of Flood?

Andrew Vachss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,202,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible