dismiss

Statistics by David Spiegelhalter

Statistics (edition 2018)

by David Spiegelhalter (Author)

How can statistics help us understand the world? Can we come to reliable conclusions when data is imperfect? How is statistics changing in the age of data science? Statistics has played a leading role in our scientific understanding of the world for centuries, yet we are all familiar with the way statistical claims can be sensationalised, particularly in the media. In the age of big data, as data science becomes established as a discipline, a basic grasp of statistical literacy is more important than ever. In The Art of Statistics, David Spiegelhalter guides the reader through the essential principles we need in order to derive knowledge from data. Drawing on real world problems to introduce conceptual issues, he shows us how statistics can help us determine the luckiest passenger on the Titanic, whether serial killer Harold Shipman could have been caught earlier, and if screening for ovarian cancer is beneficial. How many trees are there on the planet? Do busier hospitals have higher survival rates? Why do old men have big ears? Spiegelhalter reveals the answers to these and many other questions - questions that can only be addressed using statistical science.… (more)
Member:thcson
Title:Statistics
Authors:David Spiegelhalter (Author)
Info:Pelican (2018), 256 pages
Collections:Currently reading
Tags:methodology of statistics, social statistics

The Art of Statistics: How to Learn from Data by David Spiegelhalter

Recently added byjm501, FallingLeaf, pstobbs, private library, JWhitsitt, Rusty37, TrueNorth, thcson, xtofersdad, LEdwards9

Absolutely fabulous book. Brings clarity of understanding to a huge raft of statistics. I particularly enjoyed the discussions of Radar Operating Characteristic ROC curves, the stochastic for detecting Harold Shipman's outlying rate of signing death certificates as early as possible, the idea of Brier sores for forecasting quality, the use of power to determine sample size in hypothesis testing, and the use of likelihood ratios in court cases. Given that the author describes himself as an advocate of the Bayesian approach to interpreting evidence, I felt more could be said about this. Nevertheless, a an excellent book, which everyone should read to better their understanding of the world around them! ( )
  jvgravy | May 9, 2020 |
utlån till Ludvig Moberg.
  Biovitrum | May 24, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,853,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible