Let sleeping vets lie by James Herriot

Let sleeping vets lie (original 1973; edition 1974)

by James Herriot

Member:TheoClarke
Title:Let sleeping vets lie
Authors:James Herriot
Info:London : Pan Books, 1974.
Collections:Read but unowned, Favorites
Rating:****1/2

Let Sleeping Vets Lie by James Herriot (1973)

English (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (4)
More animal magic moments. ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
Needed something light and cheerful to put me to sleep & started this last night...thankfully no nightmares followed - although I did have to read a bit further than when my eyes began to droop - the image of a sheep giving birth wasn't the right place to end the night. I watched the series many years ago and was addicted to Tristram and James and the old vet guy,Seigfreid. Reading this takes me back to less stressful times and I can still hear their voices and mannerisms while reading the dialogue.Made me wish in some ways that I didn't drop out of Zoology. The Yorkshire farmers accents make for some hilarious situations and I think animal lovers and aspiring vets will find the 1939 veterinary styles of medicine much different to today. (Most antibiotics were not invented then so many old fashioned remedies were used and (((often))) worked.) ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Loved that lambing got a mention so early on.

This book seems to have a different tone to the last two; can really see that James is becoming more experienced and confident.

I wasn't expecting James and Helen to get together in this book and I was really surprised with them getting married - loved Siegfried's attitude to it all though. ^_^

Siegfried is infuriating but hilarious - the way he says or does things then denies it. But then he does something sweet, like at the end, and I love him. ( )
  Caitak | May 9, 2011 |
To my Wife,
with love

With two years experience behind him, James Herriot still feels privileged working on the Yorkshire moors as assistant vet to the Darrowby practice. Herriot's books form the basis of the popular BBC TV series "All Creatures Great and Small".

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:45 -0400)

Full of hilarious tales of his unpredictable boss Siegfried Farnon, his charming student brother Tristan, the joys of spring lambing, a vicious cat called Boris and James' jinxed courtship of the lovely Helen, this third volume of memoirs is sure to delight old and new James Herriot fans.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible