Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons (Author)

Series: Hyperion Cantos (1)

9,196218587 (4.19)289
Hyperion is the tale of seven people who make a pilgrimmage to a terrifying creature called the Shrike in an attempt to save mankind.
Member:chrestomathy
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons (Author)
Info:Spectra (1990), Edition: Reissue, 496 pages

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)
    Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds (LamontCranston)
    The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe (bruhh)
    The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach (caballer)

English (206)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (216)
c.p. loves Brant recommended
  Seayla2020 | Nov 21, 2020 |
An interesting sci fi spanning several planets/worlds as told by participants of a special voyage. ( )
  Saraishelafs | Nov 4, 2020 |
It might've been overhyped. Potential retroactive 4/5 if Fall of Hyperion is any good.

By the way,

Soldier's
If you know what I mean. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
Hyperion is an interesting sort of science fiction book. I had heard it referred to as “Canterbury Tales in Space”, which is a good description for it. You don’t need to have any familiarity with The Canterbury Tales to read this book, though. The main point of the comparison is just its structure. Both books have a group of strangers traveling together on a pilgrimage, with each traveler telling a story to help pass the time. I would say the stories in this book are stranger than the stories in The Canterbury Tales, but I’ve been slowly working my way through that book this year and I’d have to say some of its tales are pretty darn strange too! Just a different sort of strange.

In Hyperion, everything is a bit of a mystery and the different tales approach the answers from different angles and different time periods. We start off with 7 people who have been chosen to go on a pilgrimage to a mysterious entity on a mysterious planet. Nothing is explained straight out, but through the course of the book we slowly learn more about that entity, more about that planet, and more about why these particular people were chosen for this pilgrimage and how their presence might affect events. Although these people are traveling together, they aren’t exactly contemporaries. The nature of space travel means that some of the pilgrims' lives have spanned hundreds of years more than others and so the stories encompass quite a lengthy period of time.

I enjoy stories where you aren’t given all the answers, as long as you get them by the end. Likewise, I enjoy non-linear stories where you have to put some real effort into piecing everything together for yourself. I thought those elements were done well in this book. I enjoyed trying to follow the chain of events and I enjoyed speculating (mostly incorrectly) about what was going on. Some of the pilgrims’ stories were more interesting than others, but all of them were reasonably interesting. I thought a couple of them started slowly, but they picked up maybe halfway through. I also liked that several of the stories had just a slight creepiness to them, more so in the earlier stories than the later stories.

I still have a lot of questions and there are things I’m still pretty fuzzy about, which I think was the intent at this point in the story. I’d been warned this book doesn’t end with any sort of resolution, and that was definitely a good warning. However, one thing I sure as heck didn’t expect was for the book to end with the characters all walking along singing “We’re Off to See The Wizard”! I look forward to reading the next book, finding out what happens next, and hopefully getting more answers and a stronger understanding about what’s going on. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 15, 2020 |
Loved this story, it's universe, and the multi-narrator format. Very disappointing ending. I might decide it worthwhile to read the next one. This felt more like a bundle of X (don't want to spoil anything) disparate novellas. All really good on their own.

I just read Dune for the first time, a couple weeks before this. Strangely, even though it's twice the length (and I enjoyed both books), Dune took me like a third the time to read. ( )
  jzacsh | Sep 9, 2020 |

Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vietor, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,708,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible