Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

8,653194605 (4.19)279
Hyperion is the tale of seven people who make a pilgrimmage to a terrifying creature called the Shrike in an attempt to save mankind.
Member:jbekesi
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (LamontCranston)
    Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds (LamontCranston)
    The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe (bruhh)
    The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach (caballer)

English (184)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (194)
Worst book ever! I may never want to read another book ever because this book was so bad ( )
  Shack70 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Wonderful book. Abrupt ending. ( )
  thecolorblack | Jan 21, 2020 |
Not sure if I'll read the sequel......... ( )
  ko40370 | Jan 10, 2020 |
Hyperion is an interesting book that builds up an interestingly crafted and somewhat mysterious universe, but ultimately leaves the reader wanting.

I like a book to touch on interesting, philosophical topics or present an interesting perspective on human nature, which Hyperion does. I like characters to be well developed, which Hyperion was ... okay at. Through the first 2/3rds of the book, Hyperion creates an interesting world, a bit unbelievable at times, but that is forgivable.

(Minor spoilers ahead)

Hyperion shows a universe filled with a nearly magical array of technology and a society spread through almost a whole arm of the galaxy. Despite being able to step through portals to cross light-years, humans are stagnant, relying on their existing technology to get them by, but with a beast on the loose in their midst. We get to hear about the world through the stories told by the pilgrims on their way to sacrifice themselves.

If the build-up in expectation and intrigue paid off in the end, it would be a great book. Unfortunately, in the end, I was left anticipating a conclusion that never materializes. I wanted to like this book, and I did for most of it, but I couldn't help but be disappointed in the end.
  EliotJK | Jan 10, 2020 |
It might've been overhyped. Potential retroactive 4/5 if Fall of Hyperion is any good.

By the way,

Soldier's
If you know what I mean. ( )
  sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |

Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snyder, JayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vietor, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,554,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible