Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Member:gadif
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Collections:My Best Recomendations (unowned)

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)

English (129)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (138)
Very slow start ( )
  SLHobbs | Sep 2, 2015 |
Hyperion sets the golden standard for space, time and AI related fiction, the same way as Lord of the Rings does for elves, swords and magic. Perhaps it will get the glory it deserves after a good movie adaptation.

It creates such a huge, detailed, completely fantastic but internally consistent and believable world, it just blows your mind. It reveals this world through the eyes of several very different characters, from very different walks of life. You are bound to relate to some of them.

There will be interesting world mechanics, breath-taking action, as well as deep personal drama. The whole series is worth reading, but this first book hits the hardest.

My only complaint about this book is one sex scene that could be less explicit if you ask me. This, and some romanticizing of pain and death, restricts the lower age bound to which I can recommend the book. But this doesn't detract from the overall great impression.

If you love sci-fi, this has a chance to become your favorite book. If you are unfamiliar or skeptical about the genre, this book will give it a fair judgement. ( )
  valdanylchuk | Aug 26, 2015 |
Amazing storyrytelling in this book, weaving the present and the past as the stories are told. I loved how we get a lot of worldbuilding in the voices of stories past, and as each story is told, a different view of the status quo of the universe is presented to us.

***Potential Spoilers****

The ending was great, although it doesn't really close all the story threads in a way it closes the main story at a point of great potential, where everything is still possible. This being a series of books, it makes complete sense to close this part of the cycle rigth there. But I was so mad it took me several minutes to calm down and enjoy it. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
I really liked this book, but I thought it was stand-alone. So I expected the story to end, and it didn't, so that was somewhat disappointing. I liked most of the stories (a group of 7 pilgrims to the Shrike tell each other why they wanted to go on this journey) and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to like the poet, so that I didn't like his story so much is understandable. Most of the other stories were intriguing, slowly shedding light on the mysteries, but the story of the scholar I could really connect with, possibly because it is the most emotional story of the bunch. I understand why all the others want to take part in the pilgrimage, but I can live with them not getting what they want. I really really hope, though that Sol Weintraub, the scholar, gets his wish granted. I suppose all of this was intentional, since all the other characters dislike the poet right along with me, and the consul joins me in my wish for the scholar at the end of the book.

So, I give it 4 stars because I liked it and thought it well done so far, but in all fairness, Hyperion is not really a book, it is quite clearly half of a book, so my final judgement will have to wait until I have read part 2... ( )
  zjakkelien | Jul 19, 2015 |
I gave up. Did I miss anything? ( )
  EnsignRamsey | Jun 1, 2015 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible