Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Member:Kuiperdolin
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Collections:Your library, novels
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, 1989, my neckbeard is longer than yours

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)

English (117)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (126)
First published in 1989, Hyperion has a similar structure to Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and Giovanni Boccaccio's Decameron. Very simplistically the story revolves around a diverse group of pilgrims who have been sent by the Church of the Final Atonement and the Hegemony (the government of the human star systems) to the Time Tombs on the planet of Hyperion.

After reading around half of this book, I have to admit that I just couldn't finish it (I actually skimmed through the last half of the book); I’ll briefly explore why.

The first issue I had surrounded the way it is arranged; it’s basically a number of short stories merged together with some loose linkage and sadly, this just wasn't the sort of framework that generated an enormous amount of excitement for me. However as I had read so many reviews saying how awesome the book actually was I thought I’d give it a go. I’d also listened to a concept album by Manticora called Hyperion based on the first book which sparked my interest too.

Another problem I had was that Simmons delights in describing situations, people, places, and things in general. Fantastic world building and background for sure, but in my view it adds little to the overall plot. I’m sure that the vast majority of readers will appreciate this and be drawn into the richly described world thereby bonding in some way with the events that unfold. For me these descriptions just slowed the story down. Rather than making each scene thrilling I felt that this, in conjunction with its wide-ranging use of ideas from the likes of Keats (the title "Hyperion", is taken from a Keats's poem), Chardin and Wiener (to name but a few), hugely decelerated the whole narrative.

The other concern I had was with the characters themselves. Every nuance, every minor mannerism and characteristic of every person was examined and explained. Were these critical to moving the story forward? Probably not. While the tales they told were all different I lost a sense of who was actually delivering the story at times and found there were several plot holes which were all covered by blaming previous characters who had apparently narrated the story incorrectly.

Throughout the book we get lengthy plot explaining speeches and the output of the research conducted by Simmons, for example, on Keats which is infodumps onto the reader.

Even reaching the halfway point in the book took some effort and in summary, I felt that if the word count had been halved then it would have made for an eminently more enjoyable read.
  Rob.Thompson | Nov 22, 2014 |
I liked Simmons' take on time and space, especially the geopolitics and social implications of relativity. Some of my quibbles with this book might be due to the fact that I listened to the audiobook, which had uneven narration (why doesn't Steven Pacey read every book ever?). The thing that I disliked the most was the stiffness of the language, which seems overly formal or not suited towards the first-person and personal narration that the framing device requires. For example, oral accounts of action sequences are relayed in bizarrely specific detail (esp in the Soldier and Detective chapters):

"Queue got the first blow in, feinting a straight-fingered jab with his left hand and coming up and around with a swinging kick instead. I ducked but he connected solidly enough to make my left shoulder and upper arm go numb. Queue danced backward. I followed. He swung a close-fisted right-handed punch. I blocked it. He chopped with his left hand. I blocked with my right forearm. Queue danced back, whirled, and unleashed a left-footed kick. I ducked, caught his leg as it passed over, and dumped him on the sand. Queue jumped up. I knocked him down with a short left hook. He rolled away and scrambled to his knees. I kicked him behind his left ear, pulling the blow enough to leave him conscious."

It did not make me feel like I was on the Sea of Grass listening to a detective tell me why she was with me on Hyperion.

But by the end I was interested in listening to book two! And here I go! ( )
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
The vignettes are very powerful; I really wanted to learn more, particularly about the "Catholic" tribe.

Ending was unsatisfying ... but naturally I want to read the sequel. ( )
  in30minutes | Sep 25, 2014 |
So fucking boring. How does anyone like this book? ( )
  jzadra | Sep 17, 2014 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,013,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible