Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Member:Kuiperdolin
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Collections:Your library, novels
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, 1989, my neckbeard is longer than yours

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)
    The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe (bruhh)
    The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach (caballer)

English (148)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (157)
I have had this book on my shelf for probably 20 years. I never knew what it was about, I had heard that it had something to do with The Canterbury Tales but obviously in a sci-fi setting. I also have a close friend who said it was one of his favorite books. I haven't read Canterbury Tales so reading this book didn't spark any kind of nostalgia or win any extra points for the connection. I did like it a lot though. I like the format of each story being self-contained and completely different than the others, but also involving a central concept and of course tying together in the end. I did have a problem with the ending though. It really just left everything hanging, but I guess the next book came out a year later so that's not terrible. ( )
  ragwaine | Jul 12, 2016 |
Yes, I know it's a classic. And yes, I know tons of people loved it.

And that, my friends, is why I was disappointed in this novel. I expected something more.

There is a lot to like in this novel. The separate stories are individually fascinating (except the poet; he's just... irritating beyond belief....). They combine to give a varied picture of what life in this world is like. Most of the stories are powerful, with heart-wrenching endings. The Consul's story is overly convenient, though, with a lot of the "meat" of the universe tripping off his tongue. But, overall, I enjoyed the structure.

What I didn't like is the ending. I get the sense that the pilgrims' solidarity at the end (but: We're off to see the wizard? Oh, come on.....) is some sort of ending that I'm supposed to appreciate, but basically this book stopped in the middle of the story.

And here's my beef: if this is presented as a stand-alone novel, it should BE a stand-alone novel. This is not that. To read the arc of the characters, and of the world, the Shrike, all of the stuff I just spent 10 days reading, I have to read book two. Which was not clear to me. I should get to CHOOSE to read a series, not get drug into it by clever marketing omissions.

(Yes, I knew The Fall of Hyperion existed when I started this book. But I thought it was a continuation of a broader, universe-type story, not a novel that tells the second half of the plot of the first book. And I shouldn't have to research a novel's "series status" before I read it.)

So, that's my beef. Not sure if I'll read The Fall of Hyperion. We'll see. I liked Hyperion enough to read it, if I can decide to trust that Simmons actually wraps it all up in the next book.

At least a little. I don't need nice pretty bows. But at least a little tape would be nice. ( )
1 vote ThePortPorts | Jun 20, 2016 |
Luin ensimmäisen kerran 1999 ja nyt suomeksi. Scifi-kielen tekninen koukeroisuus avautuu vielä paremmin äidinkielellä. ( )
  RistoZ | Jun 8, 2016 |
Read this book when it was first published, and I remember being really impressed and blown away by it.
Really NEED to re-read this and the sequel soon
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
I'm not rating this book because I didn't finish it. I love reading science fiction, but this book is more fantasy than sci-fi. I tried forcing myself to finish reading this book 3 times over a 9 week period (3 renewals at my local library).

It takes about a hundred pages for the book to get interesting, but even then the story telling is slow paced. As other reviewers have pointed out, it's sort-of like a futuristic Canterbury Tales. But it's "all tell" to quote a Literature professor. Good stories are a mix of showing the action and telling the audience what happens. By simply telling, you lose a lot of the potential drama and excitement.

The worst part for me was the characters. They were emotionally flat, and I had difficulty caring what happened to them.

It's rare for me to not finish a book. But, I got to the point where I honestly didn't care how it turned out.
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bevine, VictorNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,611,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible