Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Member:Kuiperdolin
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Collections:Your library, novels
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, 1989, my neckbeard is longer than yours

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)
    The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe (bruhh)

English (138)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (148)
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
Best first book of a sci fi series. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
I listened to the audio version of this book. I enjoyed the unusual style of the recording (each character has their own narrator), but I felt like I would have enjoyed this book more if I had been reading it, instead of listening. Lots of details were lost to me while I listened in the car, and I wound up buying the paperback to re-read certain sections.

I love the idea here, that a group was hired by the government to go to a planet and seal off the caves belonging to the universal bogeyman before an invading force reaches the planet. Each character has been touched by the "Shrike" monster in different ways, and after some initial doubts, I was thoroughly drawn into the stories.

I liked that each character was so distinctive from one another, and I especially liked the variety of stories being told (an interesting tale of immortality, another character who has almost literally lived forever telling a jaded tale of wealth and murder, a somewhat noir-ish detective story, a rebel, et cetera).

The framing device never stopped feeling dry to me, but the character stories were rich enough to more than make up for it.

I disliked the wicked cliffhanger at the end... I didn't quite believe the book was going to stop before any sort of resolution would be reached. However, I definitely will pick up the second volume. The shrike monster was far too interesting a phenomenon to leave a mystery. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jan 24, 2016 |
An excellent sci-fi retelling of the Canterbury tales. A fascinating, enjoyable read. ( )
  cvalin | Jan 24, 2016 |
After starting this a couple times and not getting past the first few pages, I had a whole different experience this time through. I found it gripping, thoughtful, and a worthy addition to those science fiction novels that explicitly explore religious/philosophical/ethical themes (in fact, better than many I have read in this vein). It was hard to keep up the emotional intensity of the first "tale," but I found the whole book compelling. I fully intend to read the next installment (The Fall of Hyperion.) ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,085,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible