Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Member:Kuiperdolin
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:
Collections:Your library, novels
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, 1989, my neckbeard is longer than yours

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)

English (115)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (124)
A book written in the framed story style. A pilgrimage to Hyperion with 7 strangers. on the way they each tell a tale of how they have come to be here.

The Priest's Tale is shortly told in story form but then is continued in the recounting of another priests journey from his journal. The whole tale is therefore broken into journal entries headed by dates.

The Soldier's tale was told in the third person, as a narrative of what happened in his career and meeting the "She."

The Poet's tale is told from first person as if he were actually telling his story to a room of people, but also as if it were a play, where he gives screenplay directions such as [fade to black] or describing the setting of his current situation.

The Scholar's tale, of reverse aging of his daughter, is told utilizing a more personal third person, using Sol's first name thru-out.

The Detective's tale is old school crime mystery. Told in first person, as the main character gives asides to the reader about what is happening. In this a cybrid wants the detective to investigate its own murder.

The Consul's tale is a recording told in a very Tarantino style of a Shipman and a local. The very true reality of time debt being played out. His tale is finished with a proper retelling, where it is his words as directed to the group.

And so this tale ends with obviously more to be told in the Fall of Hyperion. And as a bonus the other likens this journey to a flatfilm that is easily recognizable but I would have to admit, did not draw parallels to until the last pages.

Subterranean Press 128/474 ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
The vignettes are very powerful; I really wanted to learn more, particularly about the "Catholic" tribe.

Ending was unsatisfying ... but naturally I want to read the sequel. ( )
  in30minutes | Sep 25, 2014 |
So fucking boring. How does anyone like this book? ( )
  jzadra | Sep 17, 2014 |
06/30/14 Hyperion, Dan Simmons, 1989. I did not like the first few pages of this because the style was so much simpler than Ursula LeGuin’s magic poetry. However, the seemingly trite space opera plunged into an amazingly gripping series of stories that were obviously related to Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. Having not read those yet, I can’t say how close the contact was. The themes of Simmons’ tales were philosophical and deep while pushing and dragging the reader along with incredible action. Simmons’ imaginary universe is chock full of every possible sci-fi gadget, technology, and concept you can remember. Just when you think it is too much, the important magical science jumps out and the others become perfectly reasonable details in the background setting. Very nice.
As I was getting prepared for the story to be wrapped up and all the threads to be tied together at “Canterbury Cathedral” it all collapsed in my hands like a black hole. It was either the worst ending ever, as if he was done with the book and had moved on to something else, OR I missed something important. But I’m a careful reader and I like subtlety and symbolism, so I am confused. I think I’ll actually go back and read the ending again just to be sure.
OK. I went back and reread the key part. I suppose we aren’t done yet. Which is good and bad. If the sequel has the same level of fantastic ideas as this book, I’ll be glad to continue.
But this cliff hanger had an ugly cliff. ( )
  drardavis | Jul 1, 2014 |
The first volume of the Hyperion Cantos is essentially [b:The Canterbury Tales|2696|The Canterbury Tales|Geoffrey Chaucer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1261208589s/2696.jpg|986234] in space, but that in no way detracts from Simmons' work. The seven interlinking tales all connected to Hyperion, a world home to a transcendental divine killing machine, are excellent works of science fiction in the own right, and together create a believable and intricate world. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,393,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible