Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Collections:Your library, novels
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, 1989, my neckbeard is longer than yours

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

20th century (21) AI (20) artificial intelligence (27) Dan Simmons (26) ebook (33) epic (19) fantasy (61) far future (20) fiction (414) Hugo (29) Hugo Award (51) hugo winner (45) Hyperion (68) Hyperion Cantos (68) mmpb (20) novel (64) own (32) owned (18) paperback (30) read (101) religion (36) science fiction (1,289) series (51) sf (229) sff (57) space opera (99) speculative fiction (19) time travel (45) to-read (121) unread (41)
    The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)

English (106)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (115)
Took me a bit to get into the book not being one who is fond of narrative books. Luckily, more and more, dialogue began to enter into the story and I began to really enjoy this book. I enjoyed the interaction between characters and the way the author led us to the climax. I look forward to the sequel. ( )
  kp9949 | Mar 16, 2014 |
A well wrought tale, with the mother of all cliffhangers ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
I got off on the wrong foot with Hyperion. There's nothing that annoys me more than a book that immediately lays down so much unexplained jargon that by the time I have an idea of what they're talking about, I'm already hopelessly behind on the plot. The format of this story is that seven travelers are making a pilgrimage to the planet Hyperion, and on the way they will each tell their own story about their connection to Hyperion and its mysterious monster-god The Shrike. The outer story starts out so dense with worldbuilding details that had no context, my frustration outweighed my curiosity. I couldn't latch on to the plot enough to care about it.

Fortunately, the characters' individual stories are fantastic. Each one has a unique tone, an unexpected plot, and a new mystery to add to the mythos of the planet Hyperion. They also fill in the details about the universe and its technology in a more interesting and effective way than the initial chapters. This would have been a good collection of short stories even without the outer story, but by the time all the tales were finished I was dying to see what would happen to these characters next. This book and its sequel were meant to be published together, so it ends on a pretty strong cliffhanger. I'm a little worried that the next book will lose the individual perspectives that I liked so much in this one, but at this point I'd read onward just to find out the answers behind all these mysteries. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
This is a meditation on the subject of guilt. competently written. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Dec 16, 2013 |
Reread- love it just as much this time as before.this is the SciFi I like!
I love Dan Simmons ! On to the next in the series. ( )
  KarenHerndon | Nov 9, 2013 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible