Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Hyperion (original 1989; edition 1990)

by Dan Simmons

Member:Kuiperdolin
Title:Hyperion
Authors:Dan Simmons
Info:Spectra (1990), Mass Market Paperback, 481 pages
Collections:Your library, novels
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read in 2013, 1989, my neckbeard is longer than yours

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (1989)

The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons (fichtennadel)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: It is difficult not to compare Dune and Hyperion, even though both series have major differences in terms of tone, style and philosophy. Those are two long, epic, elaborate and very ambitious sci-fi masterpieces where religion plays a key role. I would highly recommend the fans of one to check out the other.… (more)
    Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks (TarsolyGer)

English (128)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (138)
I really liked this book, but I thought it was stand-alone. So I expected the story to end, and it didn't, so that was somewhat disappointing. I liked most of the stories (a group of 7 pilgrims to the Shrike tell each other why they wanted to go on this journey) and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to like the poet, so that I didn't like his story so much is understandable. Most of the other stories were intriguing, slowly shedding light on the mysteries, but the story of the scholar I could really connect with, possibly because it is the most emotional story of the bunch. I understand why all the others want to take part in the pilgrimage, but I can live with them not getting what they want. I really really hope, though that Sol Weintraub, the scholar, gets his wish granted. I suppose all of this was intentional, since all the other characters dislike the poet right along with me, and the consul joins me in my wish for the scholar at the end of the book.

So, I give it 4 stars because I liked it and thought it well done so far, but in all fairness, Hyperion is not really a book, it is quite clearly half of a book, so my final judgement will have to wait until I have read part 2... ( )
  zjakkelien | Jul 19, 2015 |
I gave up. Did I miss anything? ( )
  EnsignRamsey | Jun 1, 2015 |
Hyperion is a tour-de-force, its many awards well-deserved. It's The Canterbury Tales in space, with six individuals, compelled on pilgrimage, take turns telling their stories. The format allows Dan Simmons to explore not only a number of genres--from love story to hard-boiled detective (because there's a poet numbered among the pilgrims, there's also poetry)--but through them, a number of issues as well, from the notion of free-will, to the ravages of empire, to time-paradoxes. And throughout there is an ongoing mystery. What's the pilgrimage really all about? What awaits them at the end?

Without offering any spoilers, I'll only say this: although I'm perfectly satisfied living with the mysteries, there's a reason this book has several sequels.

And although Hyperion follows the design of The Canterbury Tales, it's not Chaucer about whom I wished I knew more about in reading the book, but John Keats. Keats is an important referent in the book ("Hyperion" itself being the name of one of his works), and I felt I might have been missing a number of Keats puns/references because my knowledge of the Romantics is so wanting.

So Keats aficionados--you might find special enjoyment here! ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
absolutely tantalising read. brilliantly written ( )
  nmg1 | Mar 20, 2015 |

Dan Simmonsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahokas, JuhaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Ted
The Hegemony Consul sat on the balcony of his ebony spaceship and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C-Sharp Minor on an ancient but well-maintained Steinway while great, green, saurian things surged and bellowed in the swamps below. (Prologue)
The Consul awoke with a peculiar headache, dry throat, and sense of having forgotten a thousand dreams which only periods in cryogenic fugue could bring.
Several translations of the Hyperion series were published as multiple volumes There are no equivalent English volumes. Do not combine these with any works other than the equivalent partial volume in another language.

The ISBNs here are not always correctly matched up to the books. Use both the title and ISBN to figure out what the actual work is. Also note that the title sometimes contains the volume number in the entire Hyperion series (with or without multiple parts).

Pilgrims share secrets
while flying to strange planet.
First book in series.
(sullijo)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553283685, Mass Market Paperback)

On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope--and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.

A stunning tour de force, this Hugo Award-winning novel is the first volume in a remarkable new science fiction epic by the author of The Hollow Man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

On the night before Armageddon, seven people set out on a pilgrimage to Hyperion's Valley of the Time Tombs, where the creature Shrike awaits them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,423,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible