The Glasswrights' Apprentice by Mindy L.…

The Glasswrights' Apprentice (2000)

by Mindy L. Klasky

English (9)  German (1)  All languages (10)
This was a light, fun fast read. (especially after Rushdie!) Set in a medieval-style fantasy world, a young apprentice accidentally uncovers a plot against the royal family within her guild. Her attempts to do the right thing only get her deeper in trouble, as she unwittingly gets involved in secret societies on both sides of a political conflict.
I did have some problems with the book: with the title, I would have expected the author to do some research into glassblowing and traditional methods of working with glass. We don't get to see any of that. The protagonist, Rani, could have been in any guild. When, as punishment, the guild is disbanded, too, there's no mention of how glass might be valuable to society and where they're going to get it if all glasswrights
are banned.
Also, Rani is hopelessly naive. That's ok - some people are. But the author makes it painfully obvious who's lying, or whatever, and that Rani doesn't see it. The book would be more entertaining if things were equally opaque (or transparent) to both the reader and the protagonist.
Lastly, I really had a personal problem with the author portraying a strict, oppressive caste system as being "good." I know it's important to understand all sides of an issue - but I didn't feel there was enough exploration of the issue to justify her stance. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Disclaimer : This review entices the whole of the serie's, not so much a explanation of the storyline it self, but just my feelings of the books.

I consider myself a fairly tough guy in the general sense of things, and not many books really manage to touch me in a really emotional way that give u the feeling of kinship with the character your reading about. This serie's however had me in tears a few moments during the reading sessions, the concept of the glasswright as a profession was well done, the characters as mentioned really moved me, world building however in my opinion was not the best, a bit more explanation about places would have been nice.

The biggest disappointment about this serie's is that the author sofar has not written anymore fantasy like it, the only thing she writes currently is cheesy chick lit (no offence to the lovers of that but its not fantasy :D)

Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
Not your standard girl-comes-into-her-own fantasy story. I mean, there's maiming, and stabbing a good guy in the back, and multiple conspiracies, and abuse. I can't say I really enjoyed it, but it was different and kept my attention to the end. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457897, Mass Market Paperback)

If you want to be safe... mind your caste.

In a kingdom where all is measured by birthright, moving up in society is almost impossible. Which is why young Rani Trader's merchant family sacrifices nearly everything to buy their daughter an apprenticeship in the Glasswrights' Guild - where honor and glory will be within her reach.

But being in the wrong place at the wrong time places Rani in the middle of a terrible conspiracy that leaves the Royal Prince dead - and her guild torn asunder. Branded a traitor, she slinks through the city streets, changing her identity to avoid being caught. And as Rani rises from the city slums to the royal household, she uncovers an elusive brotherhood whose deadly venom reaches out to stain the heart of her guild, the heart of her family - and the heart of her king....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:27 -0400)

Mindy L. Klasky is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,942,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible