The Sandman Presents: Thessaly, Witch for…

The Sandman Presents: Thessaly, Witch for Hire

by Bill Willingham, Shawn McManus (Illustrator)

194860,720 (3.27)9

Thessaly v. the tharmic null. Place yer bets. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |
Thessaly is one of the interesting supporting characters from the Sandman cast, but there really isn't much to this graphic novel. It's pretty amusing, and the art is nice, but the story is pretty boring with a standard play on words as the big solution. Fun for a quick read, but not exactly the best or most original story ever. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I think I'm missing out on a bit of enjoyment in reading this as I haven't read the Sandman series yet (where this character is introduced). The story was enjoyable and Thessaly definitely has personality! ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Thessaly: Witch for Hire is a sequel to Willigham's own "The Thessaliad," a story in The Sandman Presents: Taller Tales. Looking back, I found that story okay: some great ideas but "the characterization was a little too straightforward" is what I wrote at the time. Well, Witch for Hire is a completely disappointing story. The plot is basically a straight line: Thessaly finds out she's going to die, Thessaly follows a number of fruitless lines to solve the problem, Thessaly wins anyway. Sure, Willigham makes an ironic joke about it by ending the third chapter with "NEXT: No More Talking Heads. It's All Monsters From Here On Out," but it's not the lack of monsters that's the problem, it's the lack of impactful incident. The last chapter is no better for having a giant flaming demon stomping through it.

Thessaly was cool in A Game of You because she seemed like a shy, withdrawn, plain girl, but she was actually a completely ruthless murderer (she pulls the skin off a guy's skull, hangs it on the wall with a nail, and reanimates it to get the information she needs!), and Willingham and McManus completely fail to get that. Their Thessaly is pushed around, unassertive, and spends all her time showing off her pouting lips, big butt, and midriff. Can you picture this woman having a relationship with Dream himself? I sure can't.

Neil Gaiman's The Sandman Spin-Offs: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
1 vote Stevil2001 | Oct 7, 2012 |
Summary: Thessaly - first introduced to readers in The Sandman is the world's oldest and most powerful witch. She thought she could handle anything, until a lovesick spirit named Fetch involves her against her will in a monster-slaying business in a bizzare attempt at courtship. The regular monsters are no problem, but Fetch has accidentally pitted Thessaly against an unstoppable, unkillable agent of Chaos itself.

Review: I'll admit, I didn't know exactly what to expect from the Sandman spinoff series, but I was imagining that while they'd focus on some of the smaller characters, they would at least be Sandman-like in tone - dark, dream-like, musing, whatever you want to call it. Instead, Thessaly: Witch for Hire was more like a screwball romantic comedy than the layered drama I was expecting, and it suffered accordingly. Gaiman's Thessaly was an interesting character because she was not only powerful, but mysterious and closed-off about her power. Willingham's treatment of her, however, strips away a lot of the mystery and reveals her to be sort of regularly ruthlessly bitchy, which resulted in me losing a fair bit of interest in the character. I was also not crazy about the way the story ended - not to spoil anything, but the way Thessaly gets out of her jam just felt too convenient and pat.

That all sounds really negative, but the truth was that it wasn't a terrible read. I was just hoping that it would manage to recapture more of the Sandman magic than it actually did. 3 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: You could argue this point, but Thessaly: Witch at Large might actually be best as a cute, fun read for people who *haven't* read the main Sandman series - it's relatively understandable on its own, and they're less likely to be jarred by the major change in tone. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Feb 21, 2010 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McManus, ShawnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Let me tell you about my girl.

Thessaly, a cutie-pie with big glasses and a wicked left hook, first appeared in Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics, Here, she stars in her own adventure, complete with love interest and unbeatable foe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible