It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to…

It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

by Lance Armstrong, Sally Jenkins (Contributor)

English (59)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Czech (1)  All languages (64)
He was an ass then, and he is an ass now. ( )
  kerryp | Nov 30, 2017 |
1-01-05
  oldfashion1 | Sep 26, 2016 |
...it's about the testicles. Am I bad for saying that? Mr. Armstrong, according to my Coach Elfi, is an insufferable egotist. That said, I give him three stars for overcoming incredible adversity. I take away two stars because he showed up for a fundraising event, attended by my Coach Elfi, where the top contributors were supposed to join Mr. A for a bike ride. Armstrong left them in the dust. Nice. I should be able to separate the man from the message, but in this case I can't. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Very Inspiring. Loved it ... ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
Someone gave me this book insisting I read it. I generally read what's given to me by others because I know it means something to them. I've been very lucky to this point in my life. Cancer has not hit close to home. If I'd dealt with it on a more personal level, I'd likely see this book in a very different light.

Armstrong pretty much swears his way through his battle with cancer. I couldn't decide as I read if this was a monumental stand against cancer and death on his part or a man simply railing at the gods that had deigned to give on of the premier athletes on the planet a deadly disease. I write this because it seemed like he was crediting himself for his recovery more than his doctors. (Yes, self-healing is real and yes, doctors don't know all. Still...)

I admit to being a little biased on the book to begin. I'm not a big fan of autobiographies/biographies, especially when assistance is needed in writing them. So, my review/opinions should be taken lightly. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |

Armstrong, Lanceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jenkins, SallyContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit boek is voor :
Mijn moeder Linda, die me liet zien wat een ware kampioen is.
Kik, die me als man compleet maakte.
Luke, het grootste geschenk van mijn leven, die in een fractie van een seconde de Tour de France een kleinigheid deed lijken.
Al mijn artsen en verpleegsters.
Jim Ochowitz, voor de appelbeignets.......iedere dag.
Mijn teamgenoten Kevin, Frankie, Tyler, George en Christian.
Johan Bruyneel.
Mijn sponsors.
Chris Carmichael.
Bill Stapleton, omdat hij er altijd was
Steve Wolff, die zo zijn best deed voor mij.
Bart Knaggs, een kerel uit één stuk.
JT Neal, de taaiste patiënt waar met wie kanker ooit te maken kreeg.
Kelly Davidson, een heel bijzonder dametje.
Jeff Garvey.
Alle medewerkers van de Lance Armstrong stichting.
De steden Austin, Boone, Santa Barbara en Nice.
Sally Jenkins, we kwamen met elkaar in contact om een boek te schrijven, maar toen we daarmee bezig waren, werd je een goede vriendin.
I want to die at a hundred years old with an American flag on my back and the star of Texas on my helmet, after screaming down an Alpine descent on a bicycle at 75 miles per hour.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425179613, Paperback)

People around the world have found inspiration in the story of Lance Armstrong--a world-class athlete nearly struck down by cancer, only to recover and win the Tour de France, the multiday bicycle race famous for its grueling intensity. Armstrong is a thoroughgoing Texan jock, and the changes brought to his life by his illness are startling and powerful, but he's just not interested in wearing a hero suit. While his vocabulary is a bit on the he-man side (highest compliment to his wife: "she's a stud"), his actions will melt the most hard-bitten souls: a cancer foundation and benefit bike ride, his astonishing commitment to training that got him past countless hurdles, loyalty to the people and corporations that never gave up on him. There's serious medical detail here, which may not be for the faint of heart; from chemo to surgical procedures to his wife's in vitro fertilization, you won't be spared a single x-ray, IV drip, or unfortunate side effect. Athletes and coaches everywhere will benefit from the same extraordinary detail provided about his training sessions--every aching tendon, every rainy afternoon, and every small triumph during his long recovery is here in living color. It's Not About the Bike is the perfect title for this book about life, death, illness, family, setbacks, and triumphs, but not especially about the bike. --Jill Lightner

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:28 -0400)

This is the story of one man's journey through triumph, tragedy, transformation, and transcendence. It is the story of Lance Armstrong, the six-time winner of the Tour de France, and his fight against cancer. People magazine called it "inspiring." The New York Times called it "fascinating." But perhaps the Cincinnati Enquirer said it best: "It's not about the bike, or about the sport. It's about the soul."… (more)

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,700,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible