Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into…

Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into Friends and Friends into… (original 1999; edition 1999)

by Seth Godin (Author)

The man Business Week calls "the ultimate entrepreneur for the Information Age" explains "Permission Marketing"--the groundbreaking concept that enables marketers to shape their message so that consumers will willingly accept it. Whether it is the TV commercial that breaks into our favorite program, or the telemarketing phone call that disrupts a family dinner, traditional advertising is based on the hope of snatching our attention away from whatever we are doing. Seth Godin calls this Interruption Marketing, and, as companies are discovering, it no longer works. Instead of annoying potential customers by interrupting their most coveted commodity--time--Permission Marketing offers consumers incentives to accept advertising voluntarily. Now this Internet pioneer introduces a fundamentally different way of thinking about advertising products and services. By reaching out only to those individuals who have signaled an interest in learning more about a product, Permission Marketing enables companies to develop long-term relationships with customers, create trust, build brand awareness -- and greatly improve the chances of making a sale.… (more)
Member:WCCentrepreneurship
Title:Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into Friends and Friends into Customers
Authors:Seth Godin (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1999), Edition: 1, 256 pages

Permission Marketing : Turning Strangers Into Friends And Friends Into Customers by Seth Godin (1999)

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
First, I love Seth's blog. However, ignoring the outdated examples, this book lacked the conciseness and poignancy of that give his blog such a strong character. The book was easy to read, the points were generally good, but, as a whole, it just wasn't very gripping. ( )
  Happenence | Oct 2, 2020 |
I cannot believe this book is over 15 years old, and I had not read it. It is a book I believe every small business owner and Extension educator should read. At its core, it is about developing and nurturing relationships so they are eager to buy into your product. This book has a lot of overlap with the ideas of Referral Engine*. Rather than spend (waste) a lot of money advertising to people who may or may not be interested in your product, grow your lists of people who are actually interested in what you offer. Get to learn about those people and target your programming or products accordingly. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
At the time, this was an incredibly groundbreaking book and I was working in marketing and advertising. I'd be interested to re-visit it with today's standards as a mirror. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
The book is all the prophecy that became true. As I've listened to it in 2017 all that Seth Godin describes is taught now as a dogma. All the notions of direct marketing and beeing customer centric are taught now in the ivy league schools such as Wharton, by leading professors such as Peter Fader. In his book in 90th, he already describes how technology and the web are going to revolutionize the way advertising is done. Tendencies such as keeping databases of the prospect buyers are much more relevant now than ever before. I was glad to learn what the cookie does in my browser. ( )
  Anatoly1988 | Feb 26, 2017 |
Throughout the many sales books I've read I've always seen Permission Marketing and had intended to read it for quite some time now. I was excited to finally pick it up after reading [b:Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends|262963|Love Is the Killer App How to Win Business and Influence Friends|Tim Sanders|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320435008s/262963.jpg|1076876] because it was spoken of often and I had loved Tim Sanders' book.

Unfortunately I didnt get that excited feel that you do for a book that offers a radical change. The problem I think is that this book needs a revised addition to accompany the new technology that has come by. The book was written in 1999 and numerous times Mr. Godin talks of AOL, Netscape, Sidekick, etc. All these old hats distract you from taking it seriously now. If a revised edition could reflect on how Google has used permission marketing then the revelency would help the reader take the information more to heart.
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |

IN

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,871,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible