Satori in Paris by Jack Kerouac

Satori in Paris (edition 1966)

by Jack Kerouac (Author)

Info:Grove Press (1966), Paperback
Collections:Literature, Your library, Books
Tags:literature, american_literature, 20th_century

Satori in Paris by Jack Kerouac

This book is Good. If you have ever ridden a bus or a train, slept in a hostel or even couch surfed, this reading will speak to you. The title speaks for itself. In my opinion, the smartest title to come from any of the writers of the beat generation. I enjoyed the random idiosyncratic overtures Kerouac had to offer in this less proclaimed book of his; Continuity based of course: with a non linear sense of reality, within the depths of the mindscape; and elaborated quite nice I must admit.
If you are looking for something less personally exploitive than 'On the Road', this book is definitely the Jack Kerouac you are looking for. ( )
  guhlitz | Jan 17, 2011 |
Jack Kerouac attempting to trace his ancestry in France ( )
  GlenRalph | Jul 13, 2009 |
While I usually review books in some detail, Satori in Paris, by Jack Kerouac is a slim travelogue written later in the illustrious author’s career. So because of its brevity I will present a review in verse:

Poor old Jack,

Looking for the myth of Family Kerouac.

To compliment his own myth,

The vagabond of On The Road

In finds little of the adventures

That made the legend,

Instead he is a vagabond poet

In a city of vagabond poets.

Drunk and Catholic

The charmer of jazz clubs,

And Beatnik Buddhism

is nowhere

in this relation of

confused enlightenment

Old alchholics tend to find,

And Jack yearns for Neil,

The reader yearns for Jack,

But we do learn the myth,

Of the family Kerouac

http://pissandvinegar.vox.com/library/post/satori-in-paris-by-jack-kerouac.html ( )
  finalbroadcast | Jul 23, 2007 |
I quite enjoyed "On the Road," with the emphasis falling on 'quite.' I managed about a page (and thus one sentence) of "Big Sur" before giving it up as a lost cause. "Satori in Paris" just about falls between the two - stodgy, typically-Kerouac prose that is hard to digest, but at least little enough to make the book finishable.

Here, Kerouac travels through northern France in search of his origins, and therefore a satori, or spiritual awakening. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Dec 22, 2006 |
Schullektüre ( )
  moricsala | Dec 5, 2006 |
Somewhere during my ten days in Paris (and Brittany) I received an illumination of some kind that seems to've changed me again, towards what I suppose'll be my pattern for another seven years or more: in effect, a satori: the Japanese word for "sudden illumination," "sudden awakening" or simply "kick in the eye."

Kerouac's classic tale of Buddhist Enlightenment, on the road in Paris! In 'Satori in Paris' Jack Kerouac, a footloose American of French-Canadian parentage, voyages to France to seek the origins of his surname! But it is also, perhaps more than any of his other novels, a book about Kerouac's lifelong love affair with Eastern mysticism. While conversing with a cab driver he experiences, all of a sudden, a 'satori' -- the Japanese term for a 'sudden awakening'; the Enlightenment of Zen Buddhism. Or as Kerouac calls it, 'a kick in the eye!'

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:52 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible