Story of My Life by Jay McInerney

Story of My Life (1988)

by Jay McInerney

A perfect sibling (sister) novel to [b:Bright Lights Big City|86147|Bright Lights, Big City|Jay McInerney|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1223018233s/86147.jpg|144128]. It's funny, smart, fast, drug-fueled, introspective, somber, depressing, and ultimately the perfect sort of escapism for somebody like me. The people are terrible, the drugs are plentiful, the sex is always good (but could be better) and mostly? There's just the right amount of existential despair. And Alison Poole lived on my block, I think. Now, roll up that fifty, babe - we've got a few more parties to hit tonight...

A far more somber and reflective look into the book is available at Raging Biblioholism: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-oU ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
A girl narrator, and a better story. But it is still just a bunch of drugs and pointless sex. ( )
  Darrol | Sep 12, 2010 |
Alison Poole. Lisa Druck=Reille Hunter/John Edwards.
  kitchengardenbooks | Jan 17, 2010 |
Hot on the heels of my Holden Caulfield fixation came Alison Poole - the sarcastic and damaged protagonist of this bilungsroman. Alison is a hillarious and acute observer of 1980s New York - although her perception of her own frailty and addiction is blunted by cocaine and sex.
Alison also makes a cameo in 'American Psycho' by Brett Easton Ellis - as the one that (quite literally) got away. ( )
  Johnny1978 | Aug 4, 2009 |
Have you ever wondered what a person thinks as their life spirals out of control? Then read this book. If not, it’s very middle of the road. I had to finish the book though. I’m bemused too much by train wreck personalities.

(full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Jan 22, 2009 |
For Gary
I'm like, I don't believe this shit.

In his breathlessly paced new novel Jay McInerney revisits the nocturnal New York of Bright Lights, Big City. Alison Poole, twenty going on 40,000, is a budding actress already fatally well versed in hopping the clubs, shopping Chanel falling in and out of, lust, and abusing other people's credit cards. As Alison races toward emotional breakdown, McInerney gives us a hilarious yet oddly touching portrait of a postmodern Holly Golightly coming to terms with a world in which everything is permitted and nothing really matters.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:38 -0400)

Supported by her father's money, Alison Poole lives on New York's Upper East Side, spending her days visiting the tanning salon, inhaling cocaine and searching for true love--until life in the fast lane spins out of control! The long-awaited new novel from the author of Bright Lights, Big City.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,123,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible