Suicide Blonde by Darcey Steinke

Suicide Blonde (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Darcey Steinke

Member:rybie2
Title:Suicide Blonde
Authors:Darcey Steinke
Info:Atlantic Monthly Pr (1992), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 191 pages
Collections:Your library, GA
Rating:*
Tags:fiction

Suicide Blonde by Darcey Steinke (1992)

English (10)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (11)
Enjoyed but this one is super angsty. I was in the right mood to read it but now it's time to set it free. Clearing bookshelves for move. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
At one point in this book, the narrator says to another character that she wishes she'd cease her lyrical ramblings, which is funny because that's all the book has contained up until this point. On the 7th page I read, "And I knew my memories, childhood or otherwise, were simply times I rose into consciousness and was intensely myself. I heard the hum I always do when a memory is encasing itself and I recognize that sound as my particular and continual way of being alive." It was so lyrical and poetic and such total crap, I almost barfed. I almost gave up right then, but since I'd been asked to read this as part of the Go Review That Book game, I thought I'd better try harder. Scarcely seven pages later, the statement, "He thought that when he left me, I froze and when he slipped back, he set my life moving again, and the thing I hated most was that lately this was true" convinced me that my time would not be completely wasted.
The aforementioned narrator, a young lady girl woman female person lives in San Francisco and engages in risky behavior and obsessively analyzes all her relationships. As you can see, I had a difficult time defining her. I decided against "lady" because she's anything but ladylike. She's too immature to be called "woman"--when her age, 29, is revealed, I was sincerely flabbergasted. She acts 22, or less, but because of her stated age, I felt I had to discard the word "girl". She has a lot of pretty nasty sex, and I was chagrined at the very minimal mention of prophylactics. But her musings ring true. She makes a lot of very genuine and insightful observations, although I'm not sure she really learns anything. The book is almost voyeuristic in nature; it allows us to peek into this world that almost all of us will never experience. For that reason, it is worth reading. ( )
1 vote EmScape | Mar 16, 2012 |
Suicide Blonde is the story of Jesse, a young woman living in San Francisco, her boyfriend Bell, and the troubled relationships she has with everyone in her life.
Jesse cleans house for a woman called Madam Pig. Pig wants Jesse to get in touch with her daughter Madison,who works as a stripper. Jesse develops strange relationships with both Madison and Pig, as well as men who drift in and out of Bell's life. Jesse also meets Kevin, Bell's lover of over ten years ago, who is getting married in Los Angeles, and experiences feelings that overcome her.

First and foremost, this is an adult book. Although there are some sex scenes (some to my liking, some not) I would not call this erotica (or the typical erotica one reads for fantasy). The sex is often lurid, with strangers, and devoid of any love or connection. Both Bell and Jesse are very unhappy individuals, with Bell wanting Kevin's love, and Jesse yearning for Bell to love her in return.

The descriptions of San Francisco are beautiful (I lived there for awhile, so maybe that is why I am partial to this book). However, the story of Jesse's life is very depressing-and in the end we are not sure that she will ever find happiness. The language is prose like and beautiful too, in a sad, unrequited way, which perhaps fits the tones of the book.

Overall I enjoyed it and found it to be a good read, but other readers should be cautioned against the themes of sex and despair-if you cannot stand either, this might not be the book for you. ( )
2 vote eightambliss | Jan 13, 2012 |
This review is going to be very short but this is definitely an ADULT book. The content is extremely mature and was way too vulgar in my opinion I'm not offended easily but this book was so vulgar that it got in the way of the storyline for me. The ending had a bit of a surprise that I wasn't expected but other then that this book was just way too much for me. ( )
  LauraMoore | Jun 24, 2011 |
This story of Jesse, a young woman whose bi-sexual boyfriend, Bell, is obsessed with his former, about-to-be-married lover, Kevin.

I didn't like this book. Unlike other reviewers here, I didn't find the writing beautiful at all. The characters engage in various sexual relationships and work in the sex trade, and the writing does little more than describe these encounters and the immature, narcisstic reactions of the characters. Had the characters been just slighly more intelligent, there may have been a story here. ( )
1 vote LynnB | Aug 22, 2009 |

Vanity Fair called this intensely erotic story of a young woman's sexual and psychological odyssey "a provocative tour through the dark side." Jesse, a beautiful twenty-nine-year-old, is adrift in San Francisco's demimonde of sexually ambiguous, bourbon-drinking, drug-taking outsiders. While desperately trying to sustain a connection with her bisexual boyfriend in a world of confused and forbidden desire, she becomes the caretaker of and confidante to Madame Pig, a besotted, grotesque recluse. Jesse also falls into a dangerous relationship with Madison, Pig's daughter or lover or both, who uses others' desires for her own purposes, hurtling herself and Jesse beyond all boundaries. With Suicide Blonde, Darcey Steinke delves into themes of identity and time, as well as the common - and now tainted - language of sexuality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:40 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible