The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises (original 1926; edition 1926)

by Ernest Hemingway

14,899194131 (3.82)1 / 421
Member:lilianboerboom
Title:The Sun Also Rises
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (1926)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    The Professor's House by Willa Cather (2below)
    2below: These are both poignant stories about the disruption and disorder that results from not being where we want to be in life and living in denial of that sad truth.
    The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    The Listless by Steven Mohr (jessie-A)
    Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)

English (186)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (193)
Very good clear prose, technically seen. And Hemingway is very visual in the description of Paris,Spain, bullfighting, fishing and boxing and cycling sports. You have to place the novel, in the historical time (nineteen twenties). Nowadays, you can see the description of the Jewish character Robert Cohn as political incorrect, as also the bullfighting can be seen nowadays. ( )
  timswings | Sep 21, 2014 |
Such a sad and moving tale. Ernest Hemingway's style of writing is so simple and leaves its mark. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 7, 2014 |
First, before people get their panties in a twist, Hemmingway is one of the most technically perfect writers I have ever read. Each sentence is like a jewel, perfectly clear, perfectly cut. His descriptions of scene are brilliant, perfect, rich and evocative. But that is just the trees, eventually one needs to look at the forest, and the forest is not so good.

I will start with the endless casual anti-Semitism and misogyny. I expect and accept some of both in books of this era. That said, the anti-Semitism is a large part of the central narrative here and so cannot be ignored. Jews are greedy money-grubbing angry WASP wannabes. For the WASPs they are like barnacles, clinging with all their might hoping that by the reflected glory of the association they will achieve WASPness. If only it were not for those damn kikes (that word is used in the book) everything would be glorious for the gentiles.

Now is a good time to mention that said gentiles are awful people, though their awfulness is never acknowledged or in any way linked in the book to sanguinity. (I will note that I got that Jake was Catholic, but he was "forgiven" by the others and clearly considered an honorary Anglican.) The only female character is a psychopath (I use that term in the clinical sense, not as an epithet) who is the very definition of all women, of feminine perfection, in the eyes of these bozos. If all women were like Bret I too would be a misogynist. The men are vacuous drunks, led only by their dicks, hungry for the metallic tang of the blood of the bullring and the burn of the Pernod downed to dampen the sting of rejection from the psychopath. Worst of all, despite all the strum und drang these people are freaking boring. Being a brokedown drunk or a manipulative bitch living perilously off an allowance which disappears too rapidly is just fine if you can provide a little excitement. If any of these characters were real people living now they would be the cast of Big Brother Ibiza. ( )
1 vote Narshkite | Jun 23, 2014 |
A tale of rich people (men and their one female companion - who they all seemed to want, although I can't work out why as she was extremely whiney) who drink and squander money they got from God knows where through France and Spain. While amusing in some places, I'm not sure I get all the fuss. Maybe I didn't understand it... ( )
  crashmyparty | May 14, 2014 |
When I finished this book on March 12, 1955, I said: "I so envied the characters, getting to spend such delightful days and nights in Paris and Spain. I felt so refreshed by Hemingway's clear, clean prose, better, I think, than his later stuff. I was quite caught up in the style, and of course vicariously enjoyed the drinking that so reminded me of my brief times in Europe. Golly, how I wish I could go to Europe." ( )
  Schmerguls | Apr 30, 2014 |
No amount of analysis can convey the quality of "The Sun Also Rises." It is a truly gripping story, told in a lean, hard, athletic narrative prose that puts more literary English to shame. Mr. Hemingway knows how not only to make words be specific but how to arrange a collection of words which shall betray a great deal more than is to be found in the individual parts. It is magnificent writing, filled with that organic action which gives a compelling picture of character. This novel is unquestionably one of the events of an unusually rich year in literature.

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruccoli, Matthew J.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cannon, PamelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hurt, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scholz, WilhemCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Four Novels: The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Romanzi volume I by Ernest Hemingway

The Novels Of Ernest Hemingway . by Ernest Hemingway

The Essential Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway

Five Novels: The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / To Have and Have Not / The Old Man and the Sea / For Whom the Bell Tolls (FOLIO SOCIETY) by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

For Whom the Bell Tolls / The Snows of Kilimanjaro / Fiesta / The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber / Across the River and into the Trees / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Four Book Set (QP) {Complete Short Stories; Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Sun Also Rises} by Ernest Hemingway

Book-of-the-Month-Club Set of 5: A Farewell to Arms, A Moveable Feast, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises, & The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway (The Finca Vigia Edition) (Book-of-the-Month Club) by Ernest Hemingway

A Moveable Feast / For Whom the Bell Tolls / A Farewell to Arms / The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway Boxed Set: Comprising Farewell to Arms; for Whom the Bell Tolls; Sun Also Rises; Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway

In Our Time, The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms - Boxed set by Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway 6 Volume Set, "A Moveable Feast", "The Old Man and the Sea", "A Farewell to Arms", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "The Complete Short Stories (Finca Vigia Edition)","the Sun Also Rises" (Ernest Hemingway's 6 most famous works) by Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway - Four Novels - Complete and Unabridged: The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway 6 Vols: A Moveable Feast / The Old Man and the Sea / A Farewell to Arms / For Whom the Bell Tolls / The Complete Short Stories / The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Hemmingway - The Sun Also Rises, a Farewell to Arms, to Have and Have Not, for Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

Aguas primaverale / Fiesta / Adiós a las armas / Tener y no tener by Ernest Hemingway

Og solen går sin gang; At have og ikke have; Den gamle mand og havet by Ernest Hemingway

Contains

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

"You are all a lost generation." -- Gertrude Stein in conversation
"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to the place where he arose...The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits...All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." -- Ecclesiastes
This book is for Hadley and for John Hadley Nicanor
Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.
They only want to kill when they're alone.
Published under two titles:
The Sun Also Rises
Fiesta

At the beginning of The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway's first novel, he quotes Gertrude Stein as saying “You are all a lost generation.” He and his peers were soon known as “The Lost Generation,” a nickname still used for these post World War I artists and writers and their modern style.

With the book's publication in 1926, the American expatriate community in Paris tried to identify the originals of the characters. Jake Barnes seemed to bear a close resemblance in some ways to Robert McAlmon and in others to William Bird; Lady Brett Ashley was considered a portrait of Lady Duff Twysden; Robert Cohn a version of Harold Loeb; Mike Campbell a version of Patrick Guthrie; and Bill Gorton patterned after Hemingway's pal Donald Ogden Stewart.

Lady Duff Twysden, an Englishwoman born Mary Smurthwaite, was an aristocrat by marriage to her second husband. Known as a hard drinker, Twysden was popular with the mainly male ex-pat crowd. She embodied the new liberated woman of the 1920s and photos of her at the time show a tall, thin boyish-looking woman with short hair. She was also fond of referring to herself as a “chap."

Lady Brett dominates the novel, even when she's not present.  Jake drinks a lot but Brett drinks more. Brett goes from relationship to relationship. And Brett makes a connection between the major male characters in the novel — Barnes, Cohn, and Romero.

Many people were angered by some of the portrayals. However, the novel won rave reviews. The New York Times said its “hard athletic narrative prose puts more literary English to shame."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743297334, Paperback)

The Sun Also Rises first appeared in 1926, and yet it's as fresh and clean and fine as it ever was, maybe finer. Hemingway's famously plain declarative sentences linger in the mind like poetry: "Brett was damned good-looking. She wore a slipover jersey sweater and a tweed skirt, and her hair was brushed back like a boy's. She started all that." His cast of thirtysomething dissolute expatriates--Brett and her drunken fiancé, Mike Campbell, the unhappy Princeton Jewish boxer Robert Cohn, the sardonic novelist Bill Gorton--are as familiar as the "cool crowd" we all once knew. No wonder this quintessential lost-generation novel has inspired several generations of imitators, in style as well as lifestyle.

Jake Barnes, Hemingway's narrator with a mysterious war wound that has left him sexually incapable, is the heart and soul of the book. Brett, the beautiful, doomed English woman he adores, provides the glamour of natural chic and sexual unattainability. Alcohol and post-World War I anomie fuel the plot: weary of drinking and dancing in Paris cafés, the expatriate gang decamps for the Spanish town of Pamplona for the "wonderful nightmare" of a week-long fiesta. Brett, with fiancé and ex-lover Cohn in tow, breaks hearts all around until she falls, briefly, for the handsome teenage bullfighter Pedro Romero. "My God! he's a lovely boy," she tells Jake. "And how I would love to see him get into those clothes. He must use a shoe-horn." Whereupon the party disbands.

But what's most shocking about the book is its lean, adjective-free style. The Sun Also Rises is Hemingway's masterpiece--one of them, anyway--and no matter how many times you've read it or how you feel about the manners and morals of the characters, you won't be able to resist its spell. This is a classic that really does live up to its reputation. --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:47 -0400)

"The quintessential novel of the Lost Generation, The Sun Also Rises is one of Ernest Hemingway's masterpieces and a classic example of his spare but powerful writing style. A poignant look at the disillusionment and angst of the post-World War I generation, the novel introduces two of Hemingway's most unforgettable characters : Jake Barnes and Lady Brett Ashley. The story follows the flamboyant Brett and the hapless Jake as they journey from the wild nightlife of 1920s Paris to the brutal bull-fighting rings of Spain with a motley group of expatriates. It is an age of moral bankruptcy, spiritual dissolution, unrealized love, and vanishing illusions. First published in 1926, The Sun Also Rises helped to establish Hemingway as one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible