The Sun Also Rises (Fiesta) by Ernest…

The Sun Also Rises (Fiesta) (original 1926; edition 1957)

by Ernest Hemingway

16,051227111 (3.81)1 / 468
Member:feca67
Title:The Sun Also Rises (Fiesta)
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Pan Books (1957), Paperback
Rating:***

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (1926)

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    The Professor's House by Willa Cather (2below)
    2below: These are both poignant stories about the disruption and disorder that results from not being where we want to be in life and living in denial of that sad truth.
    The Dangerous Summer by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    The Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway (John_Vaughan)
    As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (2below)
    2below: Both involve complicated characters (some might say messed up), crazy mishaps, and fascinating unstable and unreliable narratives. Also excellent examples of Modernist fiction.
    Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway (GYKM)
    The Listless by Steven Mohr (jessie-A)
1920s (25)
Read (37)

English (217)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (225)
People get drunk. They go fishing. People get drunk some more. There's a bullfight. People get drunk. The men fight for the affections of one gal. Oh, and people get drunk.

I realize that now, in the year 2014, as I lay on my bed in my boxers with my ereader in hand drowning in a vast sea of genre fiction, the historical significance of Hemingway's terse writing style is probably lost on me. Still, I can't help but feel that the story here is as thin as the slice of cheese on a McDonald's hamburger.

Three stars. Barely.

P.S. I know, I know, Hemingway claims there's a thick, juicy leaf of iceberg lettuce underneath that slice of cheese. Maybe it was there, maybe it wasn't. Either way, it didn't add to my enjoyment of this book. ( )
  HenryJOlsen | May 21, 2016 |
I think this is my fourth or fifth time to read this novel, and each time I read it I had an entirely different impression. In high school, the group of expatriates visiting Spain seemed glamorous and tragic, the dialog hard to follow.

Now I see the book more as having historical significance. Hemingway captured “The Lost Generation” in these pages. His use of terse, journalistic prose was revolutionary. However, with age, the characters drunken escapades seem pathetic and juvenile rather that funny and glamorous. I feel certain this will be my last time to read it…. I’m too old for this crap.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
1926 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
Tried writing a review about how Hemingway's style was still developing when he wrote this one, and how much it developed even in the three years between this and A Farewell to Arms, but I gave it up. The Hemingway trademarks--the stripped-bare, understated style, the sparse dialogue, the easy, natural flow of the story--are all here, and if I don't think it all came together quite as smoothly as it did in A Farewell to Arms, it's because it's a different kind of book, with an entirely different scope. ( )
  9inchsnails | Mar 7, 2016 |
The narrator of The Sun Also Rises is Jake Barnes, an expatriate journalist in his mid-20s who lives in Paris. Barnes is impotent because of a war wound, though the nature of his wound is never explicitly made clear. He loves Brett Ashley, twice-married who has had several love affairs since the war. Book 1 is set in Paris. Jake plays tennis with his friend Robert Cohn, picks up a prostitute in one scene and leaves a club in a taxi with Brett.

In Book 2 both Cohn and Brett are gone from Paris, and later Jake finds out they were together in San Sebastian. In Paris, Bill Gorton arrives from New York to join Jake; and Mike Campbell, Brett's fiancé, arrives from Scotland. Jake and Gorton travel to Pamplona via train and meet Cohn north of Pamplona for a planned fishing trip. However, Cohn leaves his friends to meet Brett in Pamplona. Jake's jealousy of Cohn builds, though he and Gorton enjoy five days of tranquility fishing the streams near Burguete. Once they arrive in Pamplona the group reunites and they start drinking heavily. Cohn wants to desert the group but also wants to stay with Brett. When the fiesta starts the next day, the time is devoted to drinking, eating, running with the bulls, and watching the bullfights. Jake introduces Brett to a young bullfighter. The tension between the men builds: Campbell is jealous; Jake is jealous; Cohn is jealous. Cohn has a fistfight with the other men: one with Jake; one with Brett's fiancé Campbell; and one with the young matador Romero in his hotel room prior to a fight. Later, Jake watches the bullfighting and describes the brilliance young Romero displays in the bullring.

Book 3 shows the characters in the aftermath of the fiesta. Sober again, they leave Pamplona. Gorton returns to Paris, Campbell stays in Bayonne and Jake goes to San Sebastian. Jake receives a telegram from Brett, who is in Madrid. She asks him to join her because she has gotten herself in trouble. Jake finds Brett without Romero in Madrid, and she announces she has decided to settle down with Campbell.

bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
No amount of analysis can convey the quality of "The Sun Also Rises." It is a truly gripping story, told in a lean, hard, athletic narrative prose that puts more literary English to shame. Mr. Hemingway knows how not only to make words be specific but how to arrange a collection of words which shall betray a great deal more than is to be found in the individual parts. It is magnificent writing, filled with that organic action which gives a compelling picture of character. This novel is unquestionably one of the events of an unusually rich year in literature.

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Romanzi volume I by Ernest Hemingway

The Novels Of Ernest Hemingway . by Ernest Hemingway

The Essential Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway

Five Novels: The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / To Have and Have Not / The Old Man and the Sea / For Whom the Bell Tolls (FOLIO SOCIETY) by Ernest Hemingway

The Sun Also Rises / A Farewell to Arms / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

For Whom the Bell Tolls / The Snows of Kilimanjaro / Fiesta / The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber / Across the River and into the Trees / The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Contains

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

"You are all a lost generation." -- Gertrude Stein in conversation
"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to the place where he arose...The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits...All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." -- Ecclesiastes
This book is for Hadley and for John Hadley Nicanor
Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton.
They only want to kill when they're alone.
Published under two titles:
The Sun Also Rises
Fiesta

At the beginning of The Sun Also Rises, Hemingway's first novel, he quotes Gertrude Stein as saying “You are all a lost generation.” He and his peers were soon known as “The Lost Generation,” a nickname still used for these post World War I artists and writers and their modern style.

With the book's publication in 1926, the American expatriate community in Paris tried to identify the originals of the characters. Jake Barnes seemed to bear a close resemblance in some ways to Robert McAlmon and in others to William Bird; Lady Brett Ashley was considered a portrait of Lady Duff Twysden; Robert Cohn a version of Harold Loeb; Mike Campbell a version of Patrick Guthrie; and Bill Gorton patterned after Hemingway's pal Donald Ogden Stewart.

Lady Duff Twysden, an Englishwoman born Mary Smurthwaite, was an aristocrat by marriage to her second husband. Known as a hard drinker, Twysden was popular with the mainly male ex-pat crowd. She embodied the new liberated woman of the 1920s and photos of her at the time show a tall, thin boyish-looking woman with short hair. She was also fond of referring to herself as a “chap."

Lady Brett dominates the novel, even when she's not present.  Jake drinks a lot but Brett drinks more. Brett goes from relationship to relationship. And Brett makes a connection between the major male characters in the novel — Barnes, Cohn, and Romero.

Many people were angered by some of the portrayals. However, the novel won rave reviews. The New York Times said its “hard athletic narrative prose puts more literary English to shame."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743297334, Paperback)

The Sun Also Rises first appeared in 1926, and yet it's as fresh and clean and fine as it ever was, maybe finer. Hemingway's famously plain declarative sentences linger in the mind like poetry: "Brett was damned good-looking. She wore a slipover jersey sweater and a tweed skirt, and her hair was brushed back like a boy's. She started all that." His cast of thirtysomething dissolute expatriates--Brett and her drunken fiancé, Mike Campbell, the unhappy Princeton Jewish boxer Robert Cohn, the sardonic novelist Bill Gorton--are as familiar as the "cool crowd" we all once knew. No wonder this quintessential lost-generation novel has inspired several generations of imitators, in style as well as lifestyle.

Jake Barnes, Hemingway's narrator with a mysterious war wound that has left him sexually incapable, is the heart and soul of the book. Brett, the beautiful, doomed English woman he adores, provides the glamour of natural chic and sexual unattainability. Alcohol and post-World War I anomie fuel the plot: weary of drinking and dancing in Paris cafés, the expatriate gang decamps for the Spanish town of Pamplona for the "wonderful nightmare" of a week-long fiesta. Brett, with fiancé and ex-lover Cohn in tow, breaks hearts all around until she falls, briefly, for the handsome teenage bullfighter Pedro Romero. "My God! he's a lovely boy," she tells Jake. "And how I would love to see him get into those clothes. He must use a shoe-horn." Whereupon the party disbands.

But what's most shocking about the book is its lean, adjective-free style. The Sun Also Rises is Hemingway's masterpiece--one of them, anyway--and no matter how many times you've read it or how you feel about the manners and morals of the characters, you won't be able to resist its spell. This is a classic that really does live up to its reputation. --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:51 -0400)

"The quintessential novel of the Lost Generation, The Sun Also Rises is one of Ernest Hemingway's masterpieces and a classic example of his spare but powerful writing style. A poignant look at the disillusionment and angst of the post-World War I generation, the novel introduces two of Hemingway's most unforgettable characters : Jake Barnes and Lady Brett Ashley. The story follows the flamboyant Brett and the hapless Jake as they journey from the wild nightlife of 1920s Paris to the brutal bull-fighting rings of Spain with a motley group of expatriates. It is an age of moral bankruptcy, spiritual dissolution, unrealized love, and vanishing illusions. First published in 1926, The Sun Also Rises helped to establish Hemingway as one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,838,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible