The Handmaid's Tale (Graphic Novel): A Novel…

The Handmaid's Tale (Graphic Novel): A Novel

by Margaret Atwood

I couldn't handle re-reading the Margaret Atwood classic novel and SUPER couldn't handle the TV series, so I grabbed this when I saw it at the library. It's a masterful rendition of a story that now seems both timeless and inevitable, and so valuable to have this roadmap of what to watch out for if Pence ever becomes president. The only missing element is fundamentalism, although it really IS part and parcel of the worship of males. Offred, her background with her daughter, and the events leading up to Gilead, are hauntingly rendered by a blazingly sharp hand that can also evoke tenderness. All credit to the illustrator and to her fine adaptation. ( )
  froxgirl | Apr 23, 2019 |
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale has been in the news a lot lately. Her book is now considered a classic, a recent television adaptation was a huge success, and a sequel is due out later this year. The book was first published in 1985, a time when many in the U.S. and other western societies assumed that the women's movement was making changes that could never be reversed, and that society was gradually becoming more liberal and more tolerant. Today, more than three decades later, Atwood's dystopian vision increasingly seems far closer than we would have imagined when the book was first written. This graphic novel adaption is done beautifully, and shows Gilead (the country that used to be the United States) almost as a dream -- and a bad dream at that. Highly recommended. ( )
  ericlee | Apr 10, 2019 |
I’ve loved the original version of this book for years, so I was nervous to re-read it as a graphic novel. It was so wonderfully done, I shouldn’t have been worried at all. I loved that the illustrations are slightly different for Offred’s time in Gilead, versus her memories from the past. To me, nothing is quite as powerful as reading the original text, but for fans of the book I’d highly recommend checking out this graphic novel as well. ( )
  bookworm12 | Apr 9, 2019 |
I will have to preface my review by first stating that I had neither read The Handmaid's Tale nor seen any screen adaptations of the story before picking up The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel. I *sort* of had an inkling of the plot, but wow. The graphic novel format was an eye-opening experience for me. ( )
  deslivres5 | Apr 6, 2019 |
I have never read or seen the Handmaid's tale. I kind of knew what the story was about, not entirely. And now after delving into the graphic novel, i must read the full book, AND watch the show to see if I can get all my questions answered. This is a pretty through book, so I doubt there is much missing from the full page book, but ugggggghhhhhhhhhh. So many holes I must fill.

Offred is a handmaid. It is her entire duty to be chattel and carry children for those, in this case the Commander and his wife, who can not have them otherwise. Children are precious, because of war and strife many are infertile, or incapable of bearing healthy children. Lots of things have been outlawed, and woman no longer have lives of their own. They are cast into a system in which they stay until they are used up. High wifes dress in blue, handmaids in read, the help in green, and lesser wifes strips. Woman are not allowed to talk, to ask questions, to hold command. It is a men’s society. Offered is just one of many handmaids, but this is her story. We get brief glances of her life before, and outlay of her life now, and those who came before her, and are left a mystery for her future.

This book is evocative. And there are many mysterious holes I want filled in this story. Background for one. What caused this division. There is a page that briefly mentions different religious sects and how they fight against each other. How women changed their bodies, wanted to prevent pregnancy, and how they wanted to live lives that would currently make them un-women.

Over all I loved this book, and it has made a desire in me to know more. Thank goodness Atwood is writing a sequel, and hopefully the will make a graphic novel of it as well. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Dec 17, 2018 |

Is an adaptation of

This is the graphic novel, not the original book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,901,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible