The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem

The Cyberiad (original 1965; edition 2002)

by Stanislaw Lem

Trurl and Klaupacius are constructor robots who try to out-invent each other. They travel to the far corners of the cosmos to take on freelance problem-solving jobs, with dire consequences for their employers. "The most completely successful of his books... here Lem comes closest to inventing a real universe" (Boston Globe). Illustrations by Daniel Mr--z. Translated by Michael Kandel.… (more)
Member:davidorban
Title:The Cyberiad
Authors:Stanislaw Lem
Info:Harvest/HBJ Book (2002), Paperback

The Cyberiad: Fables for the Cybernetic Age by Stanisław Lem (1965)

English (23)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (26)
A set of nested and interconnected tales of Constructors Trurl and Klapaucius. The stories are told in a fairy-tale or fable-like way but with technical and science-fictional terms and amusing wordplay. There are stories within stories, as in the Arabian Nights. Most of the protagonists are robots. ( )
  questbird | Dec 15, 2019 |
I just don't understand rating this 5 stars by so many folks; I found it boring, trite and a struggle to stay engaged. A writer trying to be funny and philosophical but ends up just being annoying. I try hard not to abandon books but this one came close. ( )
  troyengel | Sep 8, 2019 |
This book is so goofy! On one hand, it's a short story collection with consistent characters and something close to resembling a plot that ties everything together. On the other, it's an entire book of unapologetic technobabble.

Billed as a book of fables, and as such the morals of the stories are pretty heavy-handed. But since we have a lot of them with the same two folks there's a surprising amount of character development, even if there's an infinitesimal amount in each individual story.

The technobabble is great. You can dip in and out of it as you read - if you're feeling like reading some clever nonsense it's fun, and if you're not, you can skim through it knowing that most of it is just for flavor anyways.

In many ways this reminds me of Labyrinths by Borges, but I liked this book and didn't like that one. I think the difference was this: when reading Labyrinths I felt like the author was so proud of how clever the ideas in his stories were, and the Cyberiad is mercilessly skewering cleverness at every turn. ( )
1 vote haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
(Original Review, 1980)

Some people’s complaint about "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is reminiscent of a friend's complaint about Stanislaw Lem's "Cyberiad: Tales for a Cybernetic Age". He thought it was just a series of disconnected tales that were "everything that sf is ridiculed as being", petty, and demeaning. Then one day I snuck up on him and read him the start of the story on Dragons and Probability, and he burst out laughing. Then he reread the book and enjoyed it immensely. All this is presented for just two reasons: (1) Maybe me friend was looking for too much or something the book was not intended to be (I found the little I've read of it to be rather humorous), and; (2) This seemed like a splendid opportunity to plug a great book. The only book I know of which makes jokes about the Laws of Thermodynamics, computers, robotics, atomic physics, and still is funny and very philosophical politically (Stanislaw Lem is a Polish author whose works are translated into English brilliantly).

P.S. I should warn that none of the other four books of his I've read have even come close, and most aren't even worth buying (though the intro to "Memoirs Found in a Bathtub" is quite good). If you've been disappointed by his other works, don't let that stop you from reading "Cyberiad".

P.P.S. The story about the electronic bard is probably the best.

[2018 EDIT: This review was written at the time as I was running my own personal BBS server. Much of the language of this and other reviews written in 1980 reflect a very particular kind of language: what I call now in retrospect a “BBS language”.] ( )
  antao | Nov 6, 2018 |
It starts off as a series of cute and amusing stories featuring ridiculously human robots. But soon, you realize you're reading and thinking, what is happiness?

When you progress through the book, stories become longer and more involved.

I really like the tension between Trurl and Klapaucius, who are both brilliant constructors and friends, but who compete against each other. ( )
  automatthias | Jun 19, 2017 |

Mróz, DanielIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rey, LuisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
昭三, 吉上翻訳secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Basi
Żył raz pewien wielki konstruktor-wynalazca, który nie ustając, wymyślał urządzenia niezwykłe i najdziwniejsze stwarzał aparaty.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,373,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible