Home Girl: The Miseducation of Naomi Brisset…

Home Girl: The Miseducation of Naomi Brisset (edition 2019)

by Alex Wheatle

'Alex Wheatle is the real deal; he writes with heart and authenticity, books that make you laugh and worry and cry and hold your breath. It's a pity there's only one of him' Kit de Waal 'I love Alex and all he stands for in the world of literature' Kerry Hudson 'Alex Wheatle is an inspirer. He is a vital writer. He is a prince among men. Long may he reign' Lemn Sissay 'An author with great talent and great heart' David Almond 'A major voice in British children's literature' S F Said 'Alex is a one of our foremost literary activists, giving voice to the black working class experience with unsurpassed clarity and compassion. For this alone he should be universally considered a national treasure' Stephen Kelman 'A writer who knows unseen places, unheard people and untold stories because he has lived a life that might have remained hidden if he hadn't found within him the urge and talent to write' Yasmin Alibhai-Brown 'This isn't my home. Haven't had a proper home since...This is just somewhere I'll be resting my bones for a week and maybe a bit. This time next year you'll forget who I am. I haven't got a diddly where I'll be by then. But I'm used to it' New from the winner of the Guardian Children's Book Award: Home Girl is the story of Naomi, a teenage girl growing up fast in the care system. It is a wholly modern story which sheds a much needed light on what can be an unsettling life - and the consequences that can follow when children are treated like pawns on a family chessboard. Home Girl is fast-paced and funny, tender, tragic and full of courage - just like Naomi. It is award-winning author Alex Wheatle's most moving and personal novel to date.… (more)
Member:konallis
Title:Home Girl: The Miseducation of Naomi Brisset
Authors:Alex Wheatle
Info:Atom (2019), 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:children's/young adult, read 2020

Home Girl (Crongton) by Alex Wheatle

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you want to learn some British slang, this book will help. It reminded me of the movie "To Sir With Love" because it involves a middle class black adult dealing with inner city problem teens. The main character, Naomi, is temporarily placed with a black family in foster care. She is white and her case worker hopes to find a white family for her. Naomi becomes attached to her foster family and then has opportunities to leave. She has to decide what is best for her and learn who is really on her side. ( )
  AmandaSanders | Oct 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I appreciate this book, the perspective. As a teacher with students that come from a range of backgrounds and situations, I am confident that this book will open windows and doors for students. Showing that there is a place for students in literature, and showing others an insight into others worlds. Great read. ( )
  Misseeson | Sep 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
eens in the foster system will find a lot they can relate to in Home Girl. Naomi has been in and out of more foster systems than you can count. Staying with a temporary family, the Goldings, seems to be a good fit for Naomi. Challenges arise with this unknown stability including judgment of a black family fostering a white girl. The language was a struggle for me, which I know will turn off some teenagers to reading this book. If you can get beyond the slang there’s a lot gripping reality that one can take away from this read. ( )
  Library_Lady_Lisa | Sep 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Naomi, a teenage girl in the UK foster-care system, is placed with a temporary family, the Goldings. When she arrives at the Goldings' home, Naomi is wary at first, especially of Tony, the father, because past experience has led Naomi to suspect men of wanting to sexually abuse her.

As her stay progresses, Naomi gradually comes to trust this new family; observing her become able to let down some of her barriers is one of the most moving aspects of this book.

Outside the household, on multiple fronts, this arrangement is bombarded with criticism. The reason is that Naomi is white and the Goldings are black ... and therefore any long-term stay would be "against official policy." Tony's father views the placement as "robbing" a black child of a stable home, and after foster-mother Colleen spends hours painstakingly braiding Naomi's hair, another girl physically attacks Naomi because she decides that Naomi has appropriated a black hairstyle.

Altogether, Home Girl is a very moving book, which Young Adult readers might relate to. The author, Alex Wheatle, is known for inventing his own slang for use by his characters; his book Crongton Knights was a recipient of the Guardian Children's Book Award.
  Cynthia_Parkhill | Sep 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read quite a bit of YA since I teach high school students and rarely struggle with the language. I just didn't understand what Naomi was saying most of the time. Not sure if it was the British or street slang (probably a combination of both) that made it difficult for me. I do have students that will enjoy it, so I'll pass it along. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Aug 31, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Alex Wheatle's book Home Girl is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,656,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible