A Treasury of Modern Mysteries Volume 1 by…

A Treasury of Modern Mysteries Volume 1

by Marie R. Reno (Editor)

Other authors: Margery Allingham (Contributor), Agatha Christie (Contributor), Dorothy Salisbury Davis (Contributor), Daphne du Maurier (Contributor), George Fox (Contributor)7 more, Harry Kemelman (Contributor), Thomas Kyd (Contributor), Ross Macdonald (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Arthur Porges (Contributor), Bill Pronzini (Contributor), Donald E. Westlake (Contributor)

used to love mysteries. went off them. this was stories and 2 novellas. ( )
  mahallett | Jul 3, 2014 |
I picked up this book at a library sale a few months ago. It's a nice hefty volume, with two novels and a number of short stories by well-known mystery writers. "Modern" is a bit relative -- the book is copyright 1973.

As for the stories themselves, some I liked better than others, but they were all competent and readable, which goes a long way with me these days. The two novels were Agatha Christie's Endless Night, which I didn't like as well as some of her stuff -- I don't like that particular kind of twist ending -- and Ross McDonald's The Goodbye Look, which I liked a lot, despite the hard time I have keeping complicated plots and relationships straight these days.

The stories included Daphne du Maurier's "Don't Look Now," which is the only one I vaguely remembered having read before. I have a volume of du Maurier's work which includes "Don't Look Now," and it remains as creepy and bizarre as ever. I think I once saw the movie based on it, but only remember a few images, and the feeling that I found it ultimately too absurd to be satisfying, despite the way the puzzle came perfectly together at the end.

All in all, it was a good book, well worth the dollar or whatever it was I paid for it. ( )
  codyne | Feb 11, 2007 |

Oates, Joyce CarolContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porges, ArthurContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pronzini, BillContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Westlake, Donald E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,334,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible