Erase una vez un padre by Nick Hornby

Erase una vez un padre (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Nick Hornby

Member:Mora.
Title:Erase una vez un padre
Authors:Nick Hornby
Info:Ediciones B. 1999. 335 páginas.
Collections:Mi biblioteca, Leído, B2E3
Rating:*****
Tags:Novela, literatura inglesa, siglo XX

About a Boy by Nick Hornby (1998)

Recently added bymccbookdrive, marcopino, catiew, ppslibrary, private library, mahsdad, Alexiou, joebtsflk, michplunkett
20th century (52) British (237) British fiction (42) British literature (48) comedy (48) coming of age (69) contemporary (67) contemporary fiction (74) depression (30) England (105) English (53) family (61) fiction (1,111) friendship (53) hornby (39) humor (259) literature (39) London (84) made into movie (58) movie (47) Nick Hornby (33) novel (163) own (43) read (147) relationships (96) Roman (42) suicide (30) to-read (68) UK (31) unread (32)
    High Fidelity by Nick Hornby (Maurizio70)
    May We Be Forgiven by A. M. Homes (basia.k)
    basia.k: Another book where an incongruous group of people come together to form a buoyant, chaotic family.
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (derelicious)
    This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (BeckyJG)

English (110)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (115)
This was a throughouly amazing book. This is my second Hornby novel (first was [book: High Fidelity]. And I loved every minute of it. This was literally a book that I did not want to put down. I am an devoted reader, but this book was not just reading for something to do, I wanted to read because the characters were so fun. Both of the Hornby books I've read after seeing the associated movies, and I worry that that is perhaps why I think they are so great: I already have a cast of characters in my head acting. Whatever it is, this book was fun. Perhaps now I shall have to venture to reading a book that hasn't been a movie first... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
RABCK from hostile17; Very humorous - I could almost hear Hugh Grant's voice throughout in the role of Will, the inept womanizer, who despite himself gets caught up making friends with women who have children. Marcus, one of the preteen boys, decides to latch on to him and not give up, with hilarious results. Tagged and off to Egypt next. ( )
  nancynova | Apr 19, 2014 |
about a boy was a very interesting book about single fathers pretending to have children to get single mothers to date them. My favorite part was marcus (wills friend) surprised ( )
  br14evdi | Dec 15, 2013 |
I've recently learned I love books where a random group of people connect to each other and become a family. These makeshift families are usually chaotic and noisy and in-each-other's-business and in-it-for-the-long-haul. They're appealing to someone who comes from a sometimes too polite biological family. I crave that kind of community. About a Boy is light and sentimental, but in a nice way. Young Marcus is the boy who realizes what his group of people is becoming--a human pyramid that supports him, where any one person can leave as long as another takes her place. Old Will is the boy who accidentally becomes part of a family, and grows up.

Fiona's depression is hard to read about, especially for someone who is adamantly in favor of medication and therapy rather than stiff-upper-lipping. And though Hornby hints it might, I don't believe that the human pyramid is enough to help her. I wish one of the team would get her to seek professional help. ( )
  basia.k | Oct 8, 2013 |
If it's comedy you want, there's a whole hilarity industry busily supplying the world of American entertainment -- except when it comes to the book business, where heroic exemplars of drollery have been a dwindling species in recent years. Despite the boom in waggish humor on television and in the movies, in the United States the comic novel is virtually a dead genre.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Hal Epsen (Jun 28, 1998)

A follow-up to High Fidelity, British writer Hornby's superb 1996 novel about pop-music obsession, About A Boy (the film rights to which have reportedly been sold for $3 million) is an acerbic, emotionally richer yet no less funny tale. Will (36, single, lonely, in search of a girlfriend and a life) meets Marcus (12, lonely, in search of happiness for himself and his suicidal mother). At first, befriending Marcus is merely an attempt to assuage a guilty conscience brought about by a life of leisure.

Love and thanks to David Evans, Adrienne Maguire, Caroline Dawnay, Virginia Bovell, Abigail Morris, Wendy Carlton, Harry Ritchie and Amanda Posey.
In memory of Liz Knights.
'Have you split up now?'
It was terrible.  Terrible! But driving really fast behind the ambulance was fantastic.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141007338, Paperback)

Will Lightman is a Peter Pan for the 1990s. At 36, the terminally hip North Londoner is unmarried, hyper-concerned with his coolness quotient, and blithely living off his father's novelty-song royalties. Will sees himself as entirely lacking in hidden depths--and he's proud of it! The only trouble is, his friends are succumbing to responsibilities and children, and he's increasingly left out in the cold. How can someone brilliantly equipped for meaningless relationships ensure that he'll continue to meet beautiful Julie Christie-like women and ensure that they'll throw him over before things get too profound? A brief encounter with a single mother sets Will off on his new career, that of "serial nice guy." As far as he's concerned--and remember, concern isn't his strong suit--he's the perfect catch for the young mother on the go. After an interlude of sexual bliss, she'll realize that her child isn't ready for a man in their life and Will can ride off into the Highgate sunset, where more damsels apparently await. The only catch is that the best way to meet these women is at single-parent get-togethers. In one of Nick Hornby's many hilarious (and embarrassing) scenes, Will falls into some serious misrepresentation at SPAT ("Single Parents--Alone Together"), passing himself off as a bereft single dad: "There was, he thought, an emotional truth here somewhere, and he could see now that his role-playing had a previously unsuspected artistic element to it. He was acting, yes, but in the noblest, most profound sense of the word."

What interferes with Will's career arc, of course, is reality--in the shape of a 12-year-old boy who is in many ways his polar opposite. For Marcus, cool isn't even a possibility, let alone an issue. For starters, he's a victim at his new school. Things at home are pretty awful, too, since his musical therapist mother seems increasingly in need of therapy herself. All Marcus can do is cobble together information with a mixture of incomprehension, innocence, self-blame, and unfettered clear sight. As fans of Fever Pitch and High Fidelity already know, Hornby's insight into laddishness magically combines the serious and the hilarious. About a Boy continues his singular examination of masculine wish-fulfillment and fear. This time, though, the author lets women and children onto the playing field, forcing his feckless hero to leap over an entirely new--and entirely welcome--set of emotional hurdles.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:46 -0400)

A comedy on a bachelor in London who specializes in affairs with single mothers. To improve his chances, he joins a single parents' association and gets a boy to pretend he is his son.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,525,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible