Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs

Bare Bones (2003)

by Kathy Reichs

English (38)  French (1)  All languages (39)
I really enjoyed this book.

when Tempe talked about her daughter I thought she doesn't have a daughter she has a niece - I realized I was miking up the Temperance Brennan series with another female corner series - I'm trying to remember the name. The Scarpetta Series.

I think Tempe is very different from TV's Bones.

The Bones on TV is suppose to have worked all over the world in dangerous war torn countries. Someone as tactless as Bones would be dead or start an international incident ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Barbara Rosenblat

Reichs writes a good suspense/thriller. Book six in the series starring forensic anthropologist Dr Temperance (Tempe) Brennan begins with the remains of an infant found in a wood stove. Before we know it Tempe’s planned beach getaway with Montreal detective Andrew Ryan is on hold while she investigates a plane crash and a bag of remains found in a park.

I enjoy these books for the forensic anthropology and quick pace. I’m irritated by Tempe’s continued “helplessness” – the woman never gets herself out of a jam, but is always rescued by the convenient arrival of a strong man. This particular book also got a little preachy on environmental / endangered species issues. I read mysteries / thrillers for entertainment; I don’t need to be preached to when reading them.

Barbara Rosenblat does a decent job of performing the audio book. She has a good pace and enough voice over talent to differentiate the many characters.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
mysteries just don't do much for me anymore. have trouble remembering who all the people are so don't really know who done it.
good reader. ( )
  mahallett | Mar 17, 2015 |
I still enjoy the mystery and the science even though I know that at sometime in the book Tempe will get herself into trouble! ( )
  RKoletteL | Jun 5, 2014 |
read at Tony's & Sandra's
finished 25/12/07

Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
Dedicated to all those fighting to protect our precious wildlife, especially:

The United State Fish and Wildlife Service
The World Wildlife Foundation
The Animals Asia Foundation

She works with the dead
but she works for the living.

"Down time" is not a phrase in Tempe Brennan's vocabulary. A string of disturbing cases has put her vacation plans on hold; instead, she heads to the lab to analyze charred remains from a suspicious fire, and a mysterious black residue from a small plane crash. But most troubling of all are the bones....Tempe's daughter's new boyfriend invites them to a picnic -- a pig pickin' -- in the North Carolina countryside, where a cache of bones turns up. But are they animal or human? X-rays and DNA may link the crimes, but they can't reveal who is closing in on Tempe and her daughter -- and how far they will go to keep her from uncovering the truth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 074345300X, Mass Market Paperback)

"As I was packaging what remained of the dead baby, the man I would kill was burning pavement north toward Charlotte."

With this opening sentence, Kathy Reichs serves notice that her heroine, Temperance Brennan, is in for one of her scariest, most gruesome adventures yet. As fans of this popular series already know, Tempe is a forensic anthropologist: an expert in the human form (especially bones) who helps solve crimes. The abovementioned infant is only the first in a series of grisly remains, both human and animal, that Tempe must sort through and decode. Meanwhile, as several seemingly unrelated cases begin to intertwine, her sleuthing puts her in the crosshairs of a very nasty stalker who hides behind an e-mail alias.

Reichs knows how to keep the narrative ball rolling with a canny mix of plot developments, character delineation, and scientific detail, all relayed in Tempe's smart, breezy, sarcastic voice. In fact, Bare Bones has a few too many characters and plot lines for Reichs--or most readers--to keep perfect track of. But it's a fun ride anyway, enlivened by some steamy romantic scenes and some fascinating, appalling information about the illicit trade in endangered wildlife (did you know that bears' gall bladders fetch more money per ounce than cocaine?). Bare Bones is a crisp, enjoyable read that cements Kathy Reichs's standing as the best forensic-thriller writer at work today. --Nicholas H. Allison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

Her plans for a romantic vacation interrupted by the discoveries of two murdered bodies and a small plane crash, Tempe Brennan traces leads to an isolated North Carolina farm.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,068,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible