Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, Book 11)…

Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, Book 11) (edition 2008)

by Suzanne Brockmann

6351922,113 (3.94)33
Member:Jonmjp
Title:Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, Book 11)
Authors:Suzanne Brockmann
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages

Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, Book 11) by Suzanne Brockmann

Not my kind of romance -- and this has more alpha-male acceptance than my suspension of disbelief can support. I think this is my last Brockmann read. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
4.5 "Action, 2 Couples, and Loads of Fun!" Stars for the Story and Narration!

I'm a little late to this series, having just started at the prior book (Book 9, Into the Storm), but I'm loving the action, suspense, and banter/heat between the couples that Ms. Brockmann matches up in the Troubleshooter Series. Fortunately, although you definitely get the sense that at least one of these couples has interacted in prior books in the series, Ms. Brockmann does a great job of summing up the background, so that I had no difficulty following the romantic (or suspense) arc of Force of Nature. To the extent that you are planning on listening to this whole series, however, I would recommend that you start at the beginning and listen to this series in order for maximum enjoyment.

One of the things that I loved the most about Force of Nature is that it was actually a first for me as one of the couples is an M/M romance. Thank you Ms. Brockmann for making my first time an enjoyable and interesting listening: ) I particularly was intrigued by the delicate handling of this subject matter with a particular focus on the difficulties presented by one half of the couple being reluctant to come out. This certainly gave me a glimpse into some of the unique challenges of same gendered couples that I had never been exposed to before, giving me a whole new sense of awareness.

Former detective turned private investigator Rick Alvarado is loosing the battle to keep his personal assistant in the office and as far away as possible from the dangerous fieldwork. When Annie's insistence on joining him in the detective work lands them both in the crosshairs of a dangerous mobster, Rick is left with no choice but to accept Annie's plea to get involved. But will he be able to both keep her safe and avoid falling for while they work this assignment?

Tied into the investigation of the mobster is FBI agent Jules Cassidy. Jules Cassidy has been attracted to actor, Robin Chadwick, an attraction which Robin shares. However Robin's profession as a hearthrob keeps him from publicly pursuing a HEA with Jules. In an interesting wrinkle Robin too goes undercover in the investigation that Jules, Rick and Annie are all involved in, making it impossible for both Robin and Jules to avoid their feelings any longer. But, will both couple be successful in both apprehend the bad guy and resolving their feeling for one another once and for all?

Adding further intensity to this action and heat filled adventure was the talented duo narration by Patrick Lawlor and Melanie Ewbank. In the typical two narrator style where the chapters are divided among different characters' perspective, Mr. Lawlor generally narrates the ones from a male's perspective and Ms. Ewbank, the ones from a female perspective. This style works well for this book giving the listener natural transition points.

Mr. Lawlor is a natural for the upbeat, fast-paced scenes. He also manages to deliver the humurous lines with just the right punchline maximizing their effect. Melanie Ewbank, in turn, is a natural narrator for the gutsy females that tend to dominate Ms. Brockmann's Troubleshooters Series. The combination of these two talented narrators renders this a great title to sit back and enjoy in audio format.

All in all, I highly recommend both Force of Nature and the Troubleshooters Series to romantic suspense audiobook lovers.

Source: Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  B.J.O. | Aug 19, 2016 |
top pick for "Best Romantic Suspense" 2007 AAR Reader Poll. ( )
  sharon-williams | Jun 16, 2016 |
Entertaining but predictable. One you will read and forget. I'd be willing to try other titles by this author. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
It's been a long time since I've stayed up till 4 am reading a book, but for some reason I just couldn't put this one down. I'd been in love with Jules and Robin since their appearance in Hot Target, and their culmination in this book was perfect.
Ric and Annie were completely adorable as well. Just enough sass and tension to keep it interesting, but with a sweet ending.

*sigh* It makes me sad to think I've only got 1 more book with Jules and Robin in it. Cant they just go on forever/ ( )
  ariel.kirst | Nov 14, 2014 |

Suzanne Brockmannprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ewbank, MelanieReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawlor, Patrick G.Readermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helweg, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Hard-driving suspense and intense passion are the hallmarks of bestselling author Suzanne Brockmann’s pulse-pounding thrillers. In her tales of daring, danger, courage, and desire, men and women of action fight fiercely, love deeply, and time after time raise the bar for adventure to new heights. Brockmann’s latest novel is no exception.

Florida private investigator and ex-cop Ric Alvarado’s life is spiraling out of control. His beautiful new girl Friday, Annie Dugan, is far more interested in fieldwork than filing, and despite Ric’s best efforts to ignore the attraction, sparks are flying between them. Then one of Ric’s clients turns femme fatale and tries to gun down an innocent man. Thanks to quick thinking and even quicker reflexes, Ric comes to the rescue, only to learn he’s done a very good deed for some very bad people.

Suddenly Ric finds himself deep undercover with Annie, working for notorious crime boss Gordon Burns. One mistake from Ric’s painfully inexperienced partner and they’re both dead.

FBI agent Jules Cassidy’s life isn’t in much better shape. For years the FBI has been trying to prove Gordon Burns’s ties to terrorist activity. Now, thanks to Ric and Annie, Jules has found a way into the lion’s den. But in the course of his investigation he comes face-to-face with Robin Chadwick, the charismatic but self-destructive and closeted movie star for whom Jules feels a powerful attraction. Robin’s in town promoting his latest film–and Gordon Burns is a star-struck movie buff.

With Robin and Jules’s help, Ric and Annie are soon entrenched in Burns’s organization, surrounded by killers who may already have executed an FBI infiltrator. Before long the couple realizes that many more lives besides their own will be at stake if they make a false move. As the heat between them reaches dangerous levels, so do the risks they’re willing to take–in the line of duty, for the sake of loyalty, and in the name of something that runs even deeper.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:07 -0400)

After rescuing the son of crime lord Gordon Burns from an assassin, private detective Ric Alvarado and his assistant, Annie Dugan, get the chance to infiltrate Burns's inner sanctum to investigate rumors that he has been smuggling terrorists into the United States.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,233,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible