dismiss

"I was a girl once, but not any more." So begins Edna O'Brien's harrowing portrayal of the young women abducted by Boko Haram. Set in the deep countryside of northeast Nigeria, this is a brutal story of incarceration, horror, and hunger; a hair-raising escape into the manifold terrors of the forest; and a descent into the labyrinthine bureaucracy and hostility awaiting a victim who returns home with a child blighted by enemy blood. From one of the century's greatest living authors, Girl is an unforgettable story of one victim's astonishing survival, and her unflinching faith in the redemption of the human heart.… (more)

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
Reminded me of Room, in that the psychiatric treatment of ‘afterwards’ is given too much precedence. Interesting for the author, perhaps, but not the reader in my case. ( )
  alexrichman | Apr 13, 2020 |
It’s a big time of year for stacking tomes by the bedside but I found myself at the airport in need of a book and plumped for Girl (Faber) by Edna O’Brien. Her wonderful writing and harrowing story is a powerful combination. The central character is a girl in Nigeria who is kidnapped by jihadist fighters and struggles against brutal events and conflicting emotions. Given values are questioned by what becomes normality, and this is definitely a book that stays with you after completion. ( )
  davidroche | Mar 5, 2020 |
Remarkable for the attempt as much as for the execution. May we all be this clear-sighted and confident about our work when we're in our eighties. ( )
  poingu | Feb 22, 2020 |
In preparation for O’Brien novel, I read the very short nonfiction book by Helon Habila: The Chibok Girls: The Boko Haram Kidnappings and Islamist Militancy in Nigeria. As I said in the review of the Habila nonfiction: 'I’m sure it is not necessary to read the nonfiction before reading the O’Brien book, but it serves as larger context and a refresher of a harrowing and tragic story that the media so quickly seemed to move on from.'

There are things fiction can do, places it can go, or touch, that oftentimes nonfiction does not quite reach. And these are the places Edna O’Brien goes. She tells a succinct, yet thorough story of the fictional Maryam, one of the kidnapped girls: a story that riveting, heart-breaking and horrifying. As reader we are with Maryam; we can not turn away, and yet, despite the horror, injustice and indifference that we come to know through her, there is also, we discover, a persistence and courage that one might not imagine is possible. ( )
1 vote avaland | Jan 2, 2020 |
Imagine you are a girl at school. Armed soldiers burst in, claiming they come to provide protection – but their uniforms are stolen. They are part of Boko Haram, a jihadist terrorist organisation based in north-eastern Nigeria. You are herded into trucks and much later arrive at their isolated camp. There, your first experience of sex is to be raped by three men. The rapes continue, often up to seven men or more. You see a woman stoned to death. You are treated with a brutality stemming from an attitude that as you are female, you have only one use. They also try to brainwash you. As you are not pregnant you are selected as a wife. Then you do become pregnant and give birth with unsympathetic women surrounding you. Your child is not celebrated – because it is female. The camp is bombed by government forces and you and your child escape into the Nigerian bush and the fear they are coming after you, the thirst, the starvation, the snakes and other terrors hound you. You are eventually found and treated as a surviving hero for publicity purposes. When you are returned to your family, you learn of the brutal deaths of your father and brother and how you shame the family and your baby has ‘tainted’ blood. Your baby, a reminder that you are nothing but a ‘bush wife’ is taken from you. How to retain any sanity, how to retain any dignity at all. O’Brien has brought all the horrors home to us in this book – not letting the world forget the events of 14 April 2014 when 276 young, innocent girls, were abducted from a government secondary boarding school in Chibok, Borno state, Nigeria. The girls had come from surrounding areas to take their exams… and the surviving women who have escaped still suffer, unwanted with their children in camps… and what has happened to those more than 100 girls still missing? Brutal, but must be read. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Dec 22, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,902,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible