How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

How I Live Now (2004)

by Meg Rosoff

3,1252071,800 (3.8)194
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (VaterOlsen)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another powerful look at the effects of war on the young.
    The day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (tmspinks)
    tmspinks: Similar 'apocalypse comes to sleepy England' theme, but with a more SF edge.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (francescadefreitas)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (HoldenCarver)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Repelsteeltje)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (_Zoe_)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Strong female teenagers traverse war-torn environments in the near future
    We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (amysisson)
    amysisson: Although ultimately the books are different, the love felt by the viewpoint characters seems similar, and there is a certain unusual poetic quality to the writing. Both are glorious books.
    Exodus by Julie Bertagna (erickandow)
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (sanddancer)
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (faither)
    faither: Similar writing styles.
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: teenage girls coming of age in a day after tomorrow scenario
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Flowers In The Attic by V. C. Andrews (gaialover)
    gaialover: Similar incest among young relatives in a bad situation scenario.

English (203)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (207)
I'd held off watching the film adaptation because I wanted to read the book first but the movie won out. I watched it on on 3/29/2016 and was kinda underwhelmed. Then I read the book and found the two complemented each other quite nicely. A lot was changed in the movie - namely, Piper's character - but the essence of the story was still there.

The best thing about How I Live Now (the book) is that it has one of the most authentic teenage voices I've read. The narrative reads fast, just like teens talk; plus, it's in present tense so it reads even faster than that. Adored the relationship between Daisy and Piper. All in all, happy I read the book.

3.5 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Apr 20, 2016 |
How I Live Now is a futuristic novel that looks at our world, which is drastically different, and it takes place during and after a third World War. The story does a really good job of touching on love, loss, and how damaging war is. It has a happy ending, but it still deals with very real issues that war can bring. It touches on the tough choices that everyday people make, and the sacrifices that you go through. You really relate to the characters, and even though the idea and our wprld is a little far out, the author does a great job of making you feel and believe that it could be real. My only critique is that the writing style is different. I eventually got into the flow of it and that made reading it more enjoyable.
Genre: Science Fiction
Uses: I would only ever use this for a middle school age level, But I would use it to talk about the effects war has and to compare to other dystopian and Science Fiction works. ( )
  epatt14 | Apr 15, 2016 |
Unexpectedly excellent. Self-absorbed, troubled teen from NY is sent to live with her cousins in England when a war breaks out. A touch of the fantastical (her cousins are a bit psychic), but mostly just great story-telling.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This book hits the ground running and then, about halfway through, it slows to a crawl. And by the end, it barely limps across the finish line. I don't understand why it won the Printz award, though, it's leaps and bounds better than In Darkness, so I guess I do understand. I understand that the Printz Award means very little when it comes to quality or likability. Midwinterblood isn't even a YA novel, and it won this year! ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
I read this book after I encountered the film on Netflix. The film was very good but it left me with enough questions that I immediately sought out the book. Something that I think movies based on films should do. I don't think they need to cover EVERYTHING. I never expected to be so engaged with a story that lacks dialogue, but it was beautifully done and I could not put it down. ( )
  strickerke | Feb 16, 2016 |
Fifteen-year-old Daisy, an anorexic, acerbic New Yorker, falls instantly in love with her English cousins' farm and with her English cousin Edmond. Idyllic love story abruptly becomes horrific survival tale when an unnamed enemy power invades the country. A captivating and deeply satisfying first novel. Review 9/04.

"How I Live Now." The Horn Book Magazine Jan.-Feb. 2005: 16.
added by kthomp25 | editHorn Book

For Debby
My name is Elizabeth but no one's ever called me that.
You can imagine it was the social event of the day, everyone competing for the worst piece of news.
All in all I felt a little guilty about the fact that while us kids had been living the Life of Riley, a whole bunch of other people had been scurrying around like lunatics trying to keep the Social Fabric from Unraveling and my personal belief was that there were too many problems to think about and not enough people to sort them out.
Staying alive was what we did to pass the time.

An American girl is sent to stay with her English cousins for the summer. Their lives are torn apart when World War III breaks out and their aunt disappears.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553376055, Paperback)

Possibly one of the most talked about books of the year, Meg Rosoff's novel for young adults is the winner of the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize 2004. Heralded by some as the next best adult crossover novel since Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, who himself has given the book a thunderously good quote, this author's debut is undoubtedly stylish, readable and fascinating.

Rosoff's story begins in modern day London, slightly in the future, and as its heroine has a 15-year-old Manhattanite called Daisy. She's picked up at the airport by Edmond, her English cousin, a boy in whose life she is destined to become intricately entwined. Daisy stays at her Aunt Penn's country farmhouse for the summer with Edmond and her other cousins. They spend some idyllic weeks together--often alone with Aunt Penn away travelling in Norway. Daisy's cousins seem to have an almost telepathic bond, and Daisy is mesmerized by Edmond and soon falls in love with him.

But their world changes forever when an unnamed aggressor invades England and begins a years-long occupation. Daisy and Edmond are separated when soldiers take over their home, and Daisy and Piper, her younger cousin, must travel to another place to work. Their experiences of occupation are never kind and Daisy's pain, living without Edmond, is tangible.

Rosoff's writing style is both brilliant and frustrating. Her descriptions are wonderful, as is her ability to portray the emotions of her characters. However, her long sentences and total lack of punctuation for dialogue can be exhausting. Her narrative is deeply engaging and yet a bit unbelievable. The end of the book is dramatic, but too sudden. The book has a raw, unfinished feel about it, yet that somehow adds to the experience of reading it. (Age 14 and over) --John McLay

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:11 -0400)

To get away from her pregnant stepmother in New York City, fifteen-year-old Daisy goes to England to stay with her aunt and cousins, with whom she instantly bonds, but soon war breaks out and rips apart the family while devastating the land. "Every war has turning points and every person too." Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she's never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy. As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it's a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy's uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way. A riveting and astonishing story.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141318015, 0141045477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible