How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

How I Live Now (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Meg Rosoff

Member:misssanders
Title:How I Live Now
Authors:Meg Rosoff
Info:Wendy Lamb Books (2006), Paperback, 194 pages
Tags:war, romance, young adult

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (2004)

Recently added byRevekka, ssp_ms_library, RoxiePoxie4, Merryann, HertfordLC, private library, psiphilibrary
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (VaterOlsen)
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another powerful look at the effects of war on the young.
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (francescadefreitas)
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (tmspinks)
    tmspinks: Similar 'apocalypse comes to sleepy England' theme, but with a more SF edge.
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (HoldenCarver)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (_Zoe_)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Repelsteeltje)
    Tomorrow, When The War Began by John Marsden (selkie_girl, meggyweg)
    selkie_girl: Teenagers are caught in the middle of a war and decide to fight back.
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (sanddancer)
    A Small Free Kiss in the Dark by Glenda Millard (kaledrina)
    Exodus by Julie Bertagna (erickandow)
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (amysisson)
    amysisson: Young adults struggling to survive in war-torn England -- although different wars (one real, one fictional) in different times! These books are different, yet I really feel that if you love one, you'll love the other.
    The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: teenage girls coming of age in a day after tomorrow scenario
    I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan (faither)
    faither: Similar writing styles.
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Strong female teenagers traverse war-torn environments in the near future
    Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (gaialover)
    gaialover: Similar incest among young relatives in a bad situation scenario.

English (182)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (186)
I was quite excited to read this book, I watched the movie then found out it was also a book, the story reads as if Daisy is resitting her story of the war, I've never read a book like this and was a bit thrown back by the style of writing, it was a pleasant change from my usual reads. The beginning is a tad slow but as I continued to dive into the world traveling with Daisy and Piper I got caught in the journey and kept questioning through out the book what would I do in her place. It's an interesting and terrifying book that I couldn't quite put down.

Favorite quote

“Things Happen and once they start happening you pretty much just to hold on for dear life and see where they drop you when they stop.” ~Daisy ( )
  kit_kat227 | Jul 9, 2014 |
This book has an obvious squick factor -- as Daisy says "the world's most inappropriate case of sexual obsession." If you can get past that, the book is interesting...sort of. I wasn't fond of the format: not quite novel and not quite journal...it's both and neither. I commend Rosoff on not creating a tidy story. There are questions left unanswered. There are aspects left unexplored. Sometimes, this doesn't work well...but this time, it's perfect. Overall, readable; but not something I would point to as a recommendation. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 19, 2014 |
The fact that this book violated a very big social taboo without making me want to gag is a testament to the brilliance of the story. Honestly, it actually felt right.This is a sad account of children living through a fictional war in the near future. The ending left me confused and sad but at least wasn't cliched and all wrapped up in a little pink bow. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
This sad and traumatic book was really heart wrenching. It follows Daisy who falls in love with and begins a physical relationship with her cousin when she moves to England. She is only fifteen and then a war breaks out and they are separated. It takes her years to return to him. ( )
  Courtney.Francis | May 8, 2014 |
A short, sharp, shock of a book. Well done. A young American girl is sent to live with her maternal cousins in the British countryside. War breaks out and England is invaded. At first, the war is only on the periphery of their lives, an unexpected chance to live without parental supervision, but then things get very personal indeed. It doesn't take a long book to describe the horrors of war. A few well chosen moments rip their lives apart. Kudos to the author. Only the ending had a bit of a wobble. ( )
  hairballsrus | Apr 19, 2014 |
Fifteen-year-old Daisy, an anorexic, acerbic New Yorker, falls instantly in love with her English cousins' farm and with her English cousin Edmond. Idyllic love story abruptly becomes horrific survival tale when an unnamed enemy power invades the country. A captivating and deeply satisfying first novel. Review 9/04.

"How I Live Now." The Horn Book Magazine Jan.-Feb. 2005: 16.
added by kthomp25 | editHorn Book

For Debby
My name is Elizabeth but no one's ever called me that.
You can imagine it was the social event of the day, everyone competing for the worst piece of news.
All in all I felt a little guilty about the fact that while us kids had been living the Life of Riley, a whole bunch of other people had been scurrying around like lunatics trying to keep the Social Fabric from Unraveling and my personal belief was that there were too many problems to think about and not enough people to sort them out.
Staying alive was what we did to pass the time.

An American girl is sent to stay with her English cousins for the summer. Their lives are torn apart when World War III breaks out and their aunt disappears.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553376055, Paperback)

Possibly one of the most talked about books of the year, Meg Rosoff's novel for young adults is the winner of the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize 2004. Heralded by some as the next best adult crossover novel since Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, who himself has given the book a thunderously good quote, this author's debut is undoubtedly stylish, readable and fascinating.

Rosoff's story begins in modern day London, slightly in the future, and as its heroine has a 15-year-old Manhattanite called Daisy. She's picked up at the airport by Edmond, her English cousin, a boy in whose life she is destined to become intricately entwined. Daisy stays at her Aunt Penn's country farmhouse for the summer with Edmond and her other cousins. They spend some idyllic weeks together--often alone with Aunt Penn away travelling in Norway. Daisy's cousins seem to have an almost telepathic bond, and Daisy is mesmerized by Edmond and soon falls in love with him.

But their world changes forever when an unnamed aggressor invades England and begins a years-long occupation. Daisy and Edmond are separated when soldiers take over their home, and Daisy and Piper, her younger cousin, must travel to another place to work. Their experiences of occupation are never kind and Daisy's pain, living without Edmond, is tangible.

Rosoff's writing style is both brilliant and frustrating. Her descriptions are wonderful, as is her ability to portray the emotions of her characters. However, her long sentences and total lack of punctuation for dialogue can be exhausting. Her narrative is deeply engaging and yet a bit unbelievable. The end of the book is dramatic, but too sudden. The book has a raw, unfinished feel about it, yet that somehow adds to the experience of reading it. (Age 14 and over) --John McLay

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:29 -0400)

To get away from her pregnant stepmother in New York City, fifteen-year-old Daisy goes to England to stay with her aunt and cousins, with whom she instantly bonds, but soon war breaks out and rips apart the family while devastating the land. "Every war has turning points and every person too." Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she's never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy. As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it's a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy's uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way. A riveting and astonishing story.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141318015, 0141045477

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,711,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible