dismiss

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (2019)

by Holly Jackson

Series: Good Girl (1)

2631972,856 (4.36)4
The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it. Almost everyone. Having grown up in the small town that was consumed by the crime, Pippa Fitz-Adeleke chooses the case as the topic for her final project. But when Pip starts uncovering secrets that someone in town desperately wants to stay hidden, what starts out as a project begins to become Pip's dangerous reality . . . Perfect for fans of One of Us Is Lying, We Were Liars, Gone Girl and The Hazel Wood.… (more)

Ultimately, this felt too convoluted for my tastes. ( )
  fionaanne | Aug 12, 2020 |
Summer/ pandemic read.
  bookczuk | Aug 3, 2020 |
As soon as I saw the title to Holly Jackson’s debut, A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, I knew I wanted to read it. And that was before I read the synopsis and before I started seeing everyone raving about it on social media! And I have to say that it’s very good for a debut novel and first in a series.

I really enjoyed all the extras that Jackson added to the story like interviews, maps, text messages, etc… It added an interesting layer to the novel that made you feel like you were included in solving the mystery, like you were a detective following the clues.

Jackson also did a fantastic job with character development. These felt like kids I was friends with in high school, or at least I knew in passing. It was a bit strange how Jackson kept switching back and forth from first to third person. I really can’t see any reason that this was necessary and at times it was a bit jarring and threw me out of the story for a couple of paragraphs. I found myself going back a bit to see if I had missed something.

And I always appreciate a story that lulls me a bit into thinking I’m so smart and know what is going on. I did know some things that were coming, but then, Bam!, Jackson would throw a twist that added more depth to the story. There was one reveal towards the end that I thought was a bit out there and was expecting it to go a different way. I think if it had gone the way I was thinking, it would have been more believable. But since it’s a work of fiction, the writer can do whatever she pleases.

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder would make a great beach read and I am looking forward to the second book in the series, Good Girl, Bad Blood. ( )
  KimHeniadis | Jul 15, 2020 |
Great story full of page-turning suspense. I read this in one setting because I just had to know what happened. Definitely kept my attention and am looking forward to the next one in the series. ( )
  Melissa_O | Jul 3, 2020 |
In A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson, Pippa (Pip) Fitz-Amobi has a hunch. For her senior project, she looks into a closed murder-suicide of her classmates because of something amiss. As she digs deeper, it becomes obvious that someone does not want her to find the truth. Pip keeps pushing even through danger and intrigue all the way to the final explosive end.

Read my review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2020/06/29/review-a-good-girls-guide-to-murder-by-h... ( )
  bythecoverreview | Jun 29, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

To Mum and Dad, this first one is for you.
Pip knew where they lived.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,278,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible