Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia…

Marie Antoinette: The Journey

by Antonia Fraser

Madame de Pompadour by Nancy Mitford (nessreader)
    nessreader: I know these represent two different generations at Versailles, but both books are about women at the french court, and are as readable as novels
    Catherine the Great: Love, Sex, and Power by Virginia Rounding (bookcrushblog)

English (43)  French (1)  All languages (44)
One of the best biographies complied of Marie Antoinette.
  Collibrarian | Aug 20, 2015 |
As a little girl, Marie Antoinette was an Archduchess of Austria. She later married Louis XVI, the future king of France. They ruled France in the late 18th century, but that came to an end via the French Revolution. They had to run for their lives, which in the end, they both lost. This is her biography, so it's nonfiction.

This was very good. I must admit to not knowing a lot about her, the time period, or the other people involved, so I learned a lot. Because I don't know as many people, at times there were a lot of people to try to keep straight, but I think Fraser did a pretty good job of at least keeping clear the main “players”. It's a long book, but it was very good. And I think it's the first I've read by Fraser. I'm sure I'll pick up more and I'll likely read more about Marie Antoinette, as well. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 20, 2015 |
Author Antonia Fraser starts off with the birth of Marie Antoinette in 1755 who was one of fifteen children, through her execution in 1793 at the age of 37. I really did not know much about Marie Antoinette prior to reading this book but I did know that she has gone down in history with an infamous reputation for extravagance.
Antonia Fraser is obviously a fan of Marie Antoinette, her detailed biography of the former Queen of France made me see Marie Antoinette in a different light.

The book is at times dense because the author really goes into some of the politics, she involves important names and dates and many times I found myself googling people, events and places to help enrich the reading experience and to understand it all better. Never once was I bored while reading.

The author takes you to Versailles with vivid writing and rich details all the while sharing historical facts. It almost felt like I was reading fiction at times because for a historical biography, this one was really interesting and even exciting to read, and eventually sad.
The palace of Versailles and the Queen’s beloved escape, the Trianon, are brought to life here as I read about the daily lives of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI of France.

Also mentioned throughout are Axel von Fersen whom the Queen seems to have had a long love affair with and who supported her as a friend until the very end. Scandals that really damaged the Queen’s reputation such as the Diamond Necklace affair are highlighted.
I also found it interesting that Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI seem to really love and care for one another, which is a rare thing with royals in these arranged marriages in that day and time.

Many times I read in utter shock at some of the atrocities that were being committed once the Revolution was in full swing. I also wondered about some of Marie Antoinette’s decision making but then again here is this young girl who was never groomed to become a Queen and by age 15 she is sent to a different country to marry the future king of France.

In the end, after already being put through hell, they gave Marie Antoinette no privacy, no comfort, and not even a priest to give her her last rites before facing death. King Louis XVI on the other hand, was granted a priest from his sentencing and until the time of his death who accompanied him and uttered comforting last words to him on the scaffold.

I highly recommend Marie Antoinette: The Journey to anyone interested in this time period or in history in general. I found myself utterly fascinated.

I really want to read more on Marie Antoinette and have already added a few books to my wishlist on Amazon. On another note, she never said “Let them eat cake.”

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I borrowed my copy of Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Jul 4, 2015 |
I have been interested in Marie Antoinette since I was a child and have read several biographies about her over the years. I particularly liked this one because Antonia Fraser attempts to tell the story as if we do not know the terrible ending--hence the subtitle, "The Journey." In other words, Fraser avoids allowing the events of the French Revolution and the specter of the guillotine to influence her interpretation of the earlier years of Marie Antoinette's life. Like the best biographers, Fraser beautifully renders the essential texture of life in 18th-century France; she writes in her introduction that she was immensely moved while doing research at the French National Archives, where she examined the tiny fabric swatches with pinpricks where Marie Antoinette had indicated her choice of a dress for a particular occasion. That attention to detail informs this book so that the reader feels immersed in Antoinette's life and times. ( )
  kimberlice | Sep 6, 2014 |
Summary: A biography based on a more intimate view into the life of the Queen of France.

Personal reaction: The first time I read this book it was the summer of 8th grade so you can only imagine how bored I was with this book. The second time I read it I was a senior in high school so it wasn't so bad since I actually had interest in European history. Although the book did get a little tedious to read at times, I really enjoyed this book and learned so much about this period of time and the dynamics of the monarchy in France.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. Lesson on the French Revolution
2. Students can compare historically significant women in power along with Marie Antoinette
  nwoodley | Apr 21, 2014 |

Antonia Fraserprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peters, DonadaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
blurb: France’s ironic queen, Marie Antoinette, wrongly accused of uttering the infamous ‘Let them eat cake,’ was alternately revered and reviled during her lifetime. For centuries since, she had been the object of debate, speculation, and the fascination so often accorded illustrious figures in history. Married in mere girlhood, the essentially lighthearted child was thrust onto the royal stage and commanded by circumstance to play a significant role in European history. Antonia Fraser’s lavish and engaging portrait excited compassion and regard for all aspects of the queen, immersing the reader not only in the coming of age of a graceful woman, but in the culture of an unparalleled time and place.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385489498, Paperback)

In the past, Antonia Fraser's bestselling histories and biographies have focused on people and events in her native England, from Mary Queen of Scots to Faith and Treason: The Story of the Gunpowder Plot. Now she crosses the Channel to limn the life of France's unhappiest queen, bringing along her gift for fluent storytelling, vivid characterization, and evocative historical background. Marie Antoinette (1755-93) emerges in Fraser's sympathetic portrait as a goodhearted girl woefully undereducated and poorly prepared for the dynastic political intrigues into which she was thrust at age 14, when her mother, Empress Maria Theresa, married her off to the future Louis XVI to further Austria's interests in France. Far from being the licentious monster later depicted by the radicals who sent her to the guillotine at the height of the French Revolution, young Marie Antoinette was quite prudish, as well as thoroughly humiliated by her husband's widely known failure to have complete intercourse with her for seven long years (the gory details were reported to any number of concerned royal parties, including her mother and brother). She compensated by spending lavishly on clothes and palaces, but Fraser points out that this hardly made her unique among 18th-century royalty, and in any case the causes of the Revolution went far beyond one woman's frivolities. The moving final chapters show Marie Antoinette gaining in dignity and courage as the Revolution stripped her of everything, subjected her to horrific brutalities (a mob paraded the head of her closest female friend on a pike below her window), and eventually took her life. Fraser makes no attempt to hide the queen's shortcomings, in particular her poor political skills, but focuses on her personal warmth and noble bearing during her final ordeal. It's another fine piece of popular historical biography to add to Fraser's already impressive bibliography. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

"Famously known as the eighteenth-century French queen whose excesses have become legend, Marie Antoinette was blamed for instigating the French Revolution. But the story of her journey, begun as a fourteen-year-old sent from Vienna to marry the future Louis XVI, to her courageous defense before she was sent to the guillotine, reveals a woman of greater complexity and character than we have previously understood. We stand beside Marie Antoinette and witness the drama of her life as she becomes a scapegoat of the Ancien Regime, when her faults were minor in comparison to the punishments inflicted on her."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible