Naked in Death by J. D. Robb

Naked in Death (1995)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (1)

3,6501721,447 (3.97)1 / 335
Recently added byAmandaFinel, ktoonen, gleefulwolf, Pamici, private library, LitaVore, Rena37
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Timecaster by Joe Kimball (Scottneumann)
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)

English (170)  Dutch (1)  All (171)
3.5 stars

This is the first in the series. Sharon is a “licensed companion” (i.e. an upscale prostitute) who has been murdered. Her grandfather is a high-ranking conservative politician, who doesn’t want detail of the murder to get out. Eve Dallas is the lieutenant investigating the murder.

I really liked the story, and would have given it 4 stars, if not for the love interest, who I really, really disliked. If he’d been there, but not as a love interest, or not been there at all, or had a completely different personality, I would have liked it better. Oh, there was a big reveal “scene”, but I was slightly lost with the use of familial terms, as somehow I had missed some of those familial connections and how some of them were connected to others, so until the end of the reveal, I wasn’t quite sure who was doing what to whom! The ending was very good, with some edge-of-your-seat moments right up until the end and there was a little twist. I have the next two books in the series, so I will read them, but if this love interest sticks around, I’m not sure if I’ll continue beyond the books I have.

Interesting… with my review written (except for this little extra bit), I’m perusing other reviews. I see I’m in a minority for not liking the love interest. Also (though a few things confused me and this explains it), I seem to have missed that this was set in the future… Even worse, I see that someone (though they seem not to think it’s a spoiler… seems to me it’s a pretty big one), has spoiled the rest of the series for me, and apparently I may not be reading much beyond the next two books, unless something changes. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 10, 2017 |
Good start to a series. I forgot how much I love mysteries ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |
Good start to a series. I forgot how much I love mysteries ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |
The "In Death" series by JD Robb is an excellent romantic suspense series. Eve Dallas has horrors in her past, but she channels that emotion into her work as a homicide detective. Billionaire Roarke was once a pickpocket and street urchin. He comes to her attention as a suspect in her current case, and Eve finds his sudden attraction unnerving and not a little bit exciting.

Roarke and Eve marry (not really a spoiler since all subsequent novels feature the couple) and together they have mad sex and solve horrible crimes - one book at a time! The mystery in this debut is a little weak, but they get progressively better with each offering. The power couple have as much humor as steam in their relationship and the growing cast of supporting characters kepe this fresh and lively. Highly recommended series! ( )
  jshillingford | Jan 30, 2017 |
Naked in Death
4 Stars

In New York City of 2058, homicide detective Eve Dallas is called in to investigate the murder of a prostitute only to learn that the victim is also the granddaughter of a prominent United States Senator. With the police chief and the media breathing down her neck, Eve’s case rapidly goes from bad to worse when another woman is killed and Roarke, the wealthiest and most enigmatic man in the universe, becomes a prime suspect.

As a huge fan of Nora Roberts’ books, I’ve heard oodles about this series from friends both here on Goodreads and in RL, but never quite managed to get past the first chapter (perhaps because books set in the future are not really my cup of tea).

Thankfully, the ladies over at the J.D. Robb group are having a series read in 2016 and I decided to bit the bullet and try again. Well, suffice it to say that the third time’s a charm!

Once I managed to get past the futuristic setting to realize that this is basically a police procedural with romantic elements, the pages just flew by.

The serial killer storyline is nothing that hasn’t been done before and the solution is obvious once the details of the case emerge and Eve realizes that two men are involved. That said, the characters and the action more than make up for the predictable plot.

Eve’s quick mind, sarcastic wit and obvious passion for seeking justice make her a particularly likable heroine and her prickly facade and intense emotional vulnerability only make her more engaging.

After hearing so much about the incomparable Roarke, it is actually quite difficult to pin him down. Yes, he is absolutely gorgeous and a gazzilionaire to boot, but his stalkerish tendencies and arrogant manipulations can be a lot to take from a non-supernatural being. It might take me more than one book to warm up to him completely.

The development of Eve and Roarke’s romance is the highlight of the story and where Nora Roberts’ skill as a writer shines through. The fact that both Eve and Roarke are overcoming obstacles from their childhoods and are both new to and wary of any real intimacy only heightens their chemistry, which sizzles on the pages. Their encounters both emotional and physical make this book well worth the read.

All in all, I’m glad that I finally got around to beginning this series and look forward to continuing the buddy read. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What's past is prologue. --William Shakespeare

Violence is as American as cherry pie. --Rap (Hubert Gerold) Brown
She woke in the dark.

It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion. Crime and punishment is her business. Murder her speciality. Named by the social worker who found her when she was a mere child roaming that city's streets, Eve is a New York police detective who lives for her job. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all - and knows her survival depends on her instincts.

When a senator's daughter is killed, the secret life of prostitution she'd been leading is revealed. Three young women have been brutally murdered, and Lieutenant Eve Dallas has been assigned to investigate. The high-profile case takes she into the rarefied circles of Washing-ton politics and society. She knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is Roarke, one of the wealthiest and most influential men on the planet, and a suave, sophisticated and devilishly handsome Irish with a mysterious past. And much to her dismay, she finds herself powerless to resist his charm. She's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, but passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about - except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425148297, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world of danger and deception, she walks the line--between seductive passion and scandalous murder...

Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all--and knows her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire--and a suspect in Eve's murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about--except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

Three young women have been brutally murdered. After 10 years on the New York City police force, Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is a suave, sophisticated Irish billionaire with a mysterious past and she finds herself powerless to resist his charm.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,435,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible