Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Naked in Death (original 1995; edition 2007)

by J.D. Robb

Series: In Death (1)

4,0791941,797 (3.96)1 / 383
Member:katiegorman
Title:Naked in Death
Authors:J.D. Robb
Info:Berkley (2007), Paperback, 320 pages

Naked in Death by J. D. Robb (1995)

Recently added byrena75, RachelDavenSkinner, phyllis2779, mrmrsmister, private library, Lavyosa
    Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Yes, yes; one is an urban fantasy werewolf novel and the other a futurist police procedural/romance, but both of them have intensely character-driven protagonists whose relationships bind their series' together and evolve with each new book published.
    Timecaster by Joe Kimball (Scottneumann)
    Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath (Scottneumann)

English (191)  Dutch (2)  All languages (193)
I read this book when it first came out in paper. When I saw ti on sale for Kindle I couldn't resist. It is the first book in a terrific mystery/procedural and romance series. They all, like this one, move fast but don't miss important details. It was great fun to read it again after reading most of the other books in the series. It holds up really well. There aren't a lot of books of popular fiction you can say that about. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Mar 18, 2019 |
I thought I was going to read a good Science Fiction Mystery and the beginning of the novel lead me to think I had found one. However the novel degenerated into a romance novel with the other genres lacking I am afraid.

J.D.Robb (aka Nora Roberts) writes for women who like romance novels. I disliked the main male character, Roarke, who has no control over his urges and basically rapes the main female character, Eve in a scene in his mansion after target practice with "antique weapons. The scene lasted about 20 pages of the book and of course Eve eventually succumbs though at first she hates herself for being unprofessional as a cop.

As a mystery, it was only marginal. As a book set in the future it was even less so as there was very little science fiction described in any detail. As a romance novel... well I will leave it to women who like such novels... to me it lacked any imagination. The characters were very stereotypical in their format and predictable. The mystery was good at first but quickly degenerated.

I understand that this type of book appeals to a certain set of readers. but I am not one of them, so I will not be continuing this series which is sad since I was looking for a good SciFi Mystery series. ( )
  Lynxear | Feb 27, 2019 |
Eve Dallas is a Detective Lieutenant with the New York Police Department in the post Urban Wars mid 21st century. She is tapped for a special murder investigation along with her old mentor Feeney. The daughter of ultra conservative Virginia Senator DeBlass has been found murdered with a vintage 20th century gun. She was a Licensed Companion, a legal prostitute, to the dismay of her family. Eve is continually being hampered in her investigation by the senator and his friend the police commissioner. Eve meets a very rich handsome suspect named Roarke. Roarke is intrigued by Eve’s no nonsense approach to policing and life. As theaters count continues to climb and DeBlass and the commissioner threatening her vet livelihood, Eve presses onward.

This is a reread for me. I haven’t read it in over 20 years. However, it was a nice sentimental trip back to beginnings of the In Death series. There are brief meetings with characters who will become more important in later novels. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Feb 9, 2019 |
3.5/5 stars

Didn't really live up to my expectations. I think the writing style isn't a 100% my thing. Not a bad book, interesting plot. Wasn't really feeling their connection. I will probably try the next book, but maybe not right away. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
Reviewed on my blog

Robb brings us a world of the sci-fi future of 2058 with flying cars and a lot of other tropes for the future you would read in a book from the 90s. This though isn't a fault for the book just a warning for those who can't stand tropes like that. I think the biggest thing I had to remind myself was this book was written in the 90s so of course certain things will seem a bit odd.

The story follows Eve Dallas a Lieutenant in the police force in NYC. She gets put on a pretty high profile case that leads her to meeting the man who owns 28% of the world Roarke. The case is a tough one and horrific involving the murders of seemingly random prostitutes. Oh yeah prostitution is legal in the future apparently. Anyways we follow Eve on her journey of finding out who did it and get lots of time with the amazing Roarke.

The best parts of this book were when Roarke was involved. Something about his character just made the entire book more enjoyable. This was a great mystery romance novel. Really intriguing and fast paced. I had my suspicions to who did it before Eve, but the payoff of finding out who was murdering these girls was intense and amazing.

The bad was mostly the tropes. Sometimes they felt really overplayed, but I just had to remind myself that this is an older book. The crime scene descriptions sometimes kept me awake over how graphic they were. This was a bad for me because I tend to read a lot before bed, but I found myself trying to avoid this book before bed.

Overall 4/5 stars for this book! If you are looking for a quick, but fun read then this is well worth the cash. I highly recommend picking it up.

rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |

Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What's past is prologue. --William Shakespeare

Violence is as American as cherry pie. --Rap (Hubert Gerold) Brown
She woke in the dark.

It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion. Crime and punishment is her business. Murder her speciality. Named by the social worker who found her when she was a mere child roaming that city's streets, Eve is a New York police detective who lives for her job. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all - and knows her survival depends on her instincts.

When a senator's daughter is killed, the secret life of prostitution she'd been leading is revealed. Three young women have been brutally murdered, and Lieutenant Eve Dallas has been assigned to investigate. The high-profile case takes she into the rarefied circles of Washington politics and society. She knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is Roarke, one of the wealthiest and most influential men on the planet, and a suave, sophisticated and devilishly handsome Irish with a mysterious past. And much to her dismay, she finds herself powerless to resist his charm. She's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, but passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about - except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425148297, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world of danger and deception, she walks the line--between seductive passion and scandalous murder...

Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all--and knows her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire--and a suspect in Eve's murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about--except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:46 -0400)

Three young women have been brutally murdered. After 10 years on the New York City police force, Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better than to become emotionally involved with her work. But the prime suspect is a suave, sophisticated Irish billionaire with a mysterious past and she finds herself powerless to resist his charm.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,341,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible