Havenfall by Sara Holland

Havenfall (edition 2020)

by Sara Holland (Author)

Maddie loves spending summers at Havenfall, a Colorado inn where her uncle brokers peace between worlds, until a murder forces her to take on responsibilities for which she is unprepared.
Member:CatherineMilos
Title:Havenfall
Authors:Sara Holland (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury YA (2020), 320 pages
Rating:*****

Havenfall (Havenfall #1) by Sara Holland

Recently added byArina40, private library

Havenfall is a book, which brings reality and fantasy together. Havenfall Inn is ran by Maddie’s brother. Maddie is tired of life, as mom is on death row for killing one of Maddie’s brothers, but Maddie knows this cannot be right. She goes back to Havenfall Inn where she feels alive.

Havenfall is unique in that it is the safe place between realms. Many come to the Inn to find peace, but when a body is found and shadows lurk, Maddie begins to wonder how safe this escape from reality truly is! Did she make the right choice coming back to Havenfall?

Fantasy book lovers will enjoy this one! YA read
I was given and ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  lflareads | Jun 27, 2020 |
Although I enjoyed Havenfall, I’m deeply annoyed that I didn’t realize that it is book one of a series. I was just really starting to get into the story and characters when the book ended and now I’m left with too many unanswered questions. I also JUST NOW realized that’s a persons face on the cover so I guess Im going through a clueless phase. Enjoyed the fantasy but wanted more. ( )
  JRlibrary | Apr 27, 2020 |
High in the Colorado mountains is the Inn at Havenfall and it is a sanctuary for more than just humans. It was built upon a spot where there are currently doorways to three worlds, each with their own people and magics. The Innkeeper and the Inn itself are neutral which provides a place of safety and belonging to those who seek it. Maddie Morrow's history is chock full of sorrow and disappointment - except when she spends her summers at the inn. The inn is where she grew up with the Fiorden soldier Brekken, it's where she can hopefully forget that her own mother sits on death row sentenced for murdering Maddie's brother and it is where she will hopefully become the Innkeeper after her uncle decides to retire.

Maddie's hopes for this summer come crashing down faster than an avalanche when a dead body is discovered on the grounds of the inn. After her uncle is found mysteriously unconscious suddenly she is in charge of the inn and everyone's safety but she finds herself in even more dire straits when Brekken goes missing and a dangerous being is also loose on the grounds. Maddie finds that she will do anything to keep the inn and everyone in it safe - even if it means relying on Taya, the new staff member with mysterious intentions as well as origins. Will Maddie be able to find the truth among the dark, dangerous and sometimes predatory secrets of the inn itself while keeping everyone safe?

Oh Havenfall - had I not started reading late at night I would've finished in the same day. Sometimes I wonder why I read anything other than fantasy novels, I live for books that transport you to other places. Especially if you literally don't realize the passage of time while you're reading. I really enjoyed the concept of portals to other worlds being in underneath mountains in my own home state. I think what stuns me the most about fantasy writers is the depth they have to put into everything that isn't a part of our known world. I believe it's much harder because you don't have a common knowledge base for your world(s) but you can also do whatever you want with it.

It is true that we don't get much other than a broad description of each world that a portal leads to (Byrn, Fiordenkill and Solaria) but it makes sense as our protagonist Maddie cannot visit the worlds. Other than experiencing physical objects that can be transported through the portals each race only has the knowledge and descriptions provided through the experiences of others. My hope for book two is that it dives more into the worlds, the races, Maddie's family history and relationships.

The LGBTQ aspect of this novel I feel is really light - it's more mentioned in passing and factual than written about in length. There are not many sensitive topics in this book other than the LGBTQ aspect, some mild violence and romance via make out session. I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy young adult fiction, fantasy, and LGBTQ characters. Thank you to Bloomsbury Publishing and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this up and coming fantasy series - I look forward to reading the rest of Maddie's adventure. ( )
  thereviewbooth | Mar 21, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,657,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible