Last Report on the Miracles at Little No…

Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse, The (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Louise Erdrich, Anna Fields (Narrator)

Member:DCloyceSmith
Title:Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse, The
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Other authors:Anna Fields (Narrator)
Info:HarperAudio (2001), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette

The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich (2001)

Incredible! This book is easily one of the best books I have read in the last five years. Erdrich's prose reads like poetry and her use of language is so elegantly accomplished I often found myself either moved to tears or simply breathless from the impact of her words. Erdrich skillfully prepared each and every word, phrase and sentence before it was placed on the page much like a chef prepares a fine meal- to delight the reader's palate and imagination. I dreaded the end of this book only because I did not want the story to end. This delivers from start to finish and I put it down upon completion fully satisfied and delighted by the experience. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
There's an LP at CC, and others in ILL.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse – Louise Erdrich
4 stars

“If memory serves me right, and I am over one hundred years old, the first of my reports dealt with an occurrence that forever set me on my course…”

Late at night, with a glass of wine, Father Damien is writing his last report to the distant and unresponsive Pope. Through Damien’s own writing and a variety of different perspectives, Louise Erdrich tells the story of a most unusual priest. The story develops in disjointed recollections and anecdotes that are sometimes difficult to piece together. Gradually, Father Damien and his congregation on the reservation of Little No Horse come vividly to life. This book has complex, quirky characters, tremendous humor and great tragedy. But most important it has the beautiful language of Louise Erdrich. On nearly every page there were sentences and phrases that I had to read over and over for the sheer beauty of the words.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Magical and lyrical, yet so disjointed that I had a hard time listening to the story. Still love this author. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
I hope the folks who are kind enough to read my reviews do not mind that I don't summarize the plot - I am satisfied for the most part with what GR has to say and so many reviewers summarize it too - and I just don't have the time, so I just give you my reactions - thanks if you keep reading. This was a book club selection - I could not finish it in the time I allotted before the meeting. My bad, given that I am the leader of the club...but I was heartened when no one else had finished by the time of the meeting. That being said, I really did like this book, and the fact that her latest work earned a major book award just underscores the fact that I am just a regular reader, and not any sort of literary scholar. I enjoyed the spiritualism, and how it compared and contrasted with the Catholic faith, I found some aspects of the early part of the book to be just bizzarre - especially Agnes' bond to music, then replaced by sensuality - and then her journey to to the Ojibwe. It was in a sense mythological on its own. Part of my enjoyment I am sure was sourced from the fact that I adored mythology as teen, from anywhere on the planet, including Native American. I am pleased that it ended the way it did, with the focus of possible beatification shifting to the true hero/heroine. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Nindinawemaganidok

There are four layers above the earth and four layers below.  Sometime in our dreams and creations we pass through the layers, which are also space and time.  In saying the word nindinawemaganidok, or my relatives, we speak of everything that has existed in time, the known and the unknown, the unseen, the obvious, all that lived before or is living now in the worlds above and below.
--Nanapush
The grass was white with frost on the shadowed sides of the reservation hills and ditches, but the morning air was almost warm, sweetened by a southern wind.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060931221, Paperback)

Over the course of 13 years and five novels, Louise Erdrich has staked out a richly imagined corner of North Dakota soil--her own Yoknapatawpha, where every character is connected to every other and nothing can be said to happen for the first time. The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse is no exception. The report in question comes from Father Damien Modeste, who has served the Ojibwe through a century of famine, epidemics, murders, and feuds. But the good priest is not what he appears. The prologue ends with the curiously beautiful image of the old man slowly removing heavy robes, undergarments, and, at last, a bandage wound tightly around women's breasts: "small, withered, modest as folded flowers."

How--and why--could such a deception last so long? That's the first mystery. The second begins when Father Jude Miller (a name familiar to readers of The Beet Queen) arrives to investigate the life of Sister Leopolda (or Pauline Puyat, another familiar name). Was Leopolda a saint? Or its opposite, whatever that is? Miracles, after all, are a part of the reservation's everyday life; for every nun's stigmata there's a secular wonder like the death of Nanapush. Indeed, the chapter detailing this old trickster's demise is the kind of earthy, tragicomic fable Erdrich does to perfection, including as it does an extended trial by moose, death by flatulence, and not one but two lustful resurrections.

Erdrich's writing is at its best when she chronicles the bittersweet humor of reservation life. It's at its worst, sadly, when she cranks up the fog machine and goes for the violins. ("He had the odd sensation that petals drifted in the air between them, petals of a fragrant and papery citrus velvet," she tells us, telegraphing Father Jude's attraction to a woman.) But at least the book's sins are sins of ambition--this is a novelist who revisits the same territory because the capaciousness of her vision demands it. Readers may forgive Erdrich's vagueness about Father Damien's religious calling, but they will never forget her images, as lovely and surprising as figures glimpsed in a dream: the devil in the shape of a black dog, his paw in a bowl of soup; freshly planted pansies, nodding at the priests' feet "like the faces of spoiled babies"; a woman in a billowing white nightdress riding a grand piano through the "gray soup" of a flood. Moments like these are small miracles of their own. --Mary Park

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

A story of suspect miracles, tests of faith, and the corrosive and redemptive power of secrecy. Over the years, Father Damian has seen the reservation through its most severe crises, yet he is more than a heroic priest. He has lived with and served the Ojibwa people as a man of the cloth, and also as a woman. However, where does fact end and reality begin? NPR sponsorships. Deals with miracles, crises of faith, struggles with good & evil, temptation, & the corrosive & redemptive power of secrecy. For more than a half century, Father Damien Modeste has served his beloved people, the Ojibwa, on the remote reservation of Little No Horse. Compelled to his task by a direct mystical experience, Father Damien has made enormous sacrifices, and experienced the joys of commitment as well as deep suffering. Now, nearing the end of his life, Father Damien dreads the discovery of his physical identity, for he is a woman who has lived as a man. He imagines the undoing of all that he has accomplished -- sees unions unsundered, baptisms nullified, those who confessed to him once again unforgiven. To complicate his fears, his quiet life changes when a troubled colleague comes to the reservation to investigate the life of the perplexing, difficult, possibly false saint Sister Leopolda. Father Damien alone knows the strange truth of Sister Leopolda's piety, but these facts are bound up in his own secret. In relating his history and that of Leopolda, whose wonder working is documented but inspired, he believes, by a capacity for evil rather than the love of good, Father Damien is forced to choose: Should he reveal all he knows and risk everything? Or should he manufacture a protective history? In spinning out the tale of his life, Father Damien in fact does both. His story encompasses his life as a young woman, her passions, and the pestilence, tribal hatreds, and sorrows passed from generation to generation of Ojibwa. From the fantastic truth of Father Damien's origin as a woman to the hilarious account of the absurd demise of Nanapush, his best friend on the reservation, his story ranges over the span of the century. In a masterwork that both deepens and enlarges the world of her previous novels set on the same reservation, Louise Erdrich captures the essence of a time and the spirit of a woman who felt compelled by her beliefs to serve her people as a priest. The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse is a work of an avid heart, a writer's writer, and a storytelling genius.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,177,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible