The Two Gentlemen Of Verona by William…

The Two Gentlemen Of Verona

by William Shakespeare

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
There are some sublime passages in this play and I really enjoyed reading it but that ending, oh boy. I've been sticking it to Jane Austen for years for her horribly mangled and completely sewn-up endings and so I can't really ignore it in the Bard; to say it let the rest of the play down is an understatement.

Clearly Valentine should have fought Thurio and died. Then Proteus, defending his friend far too late, should have killed Thurio (and then died himself, natch). Julia and Silvia could have swept themselves off to several nunneries lying, as they seem to, nearby, leaving the Duke to explain all. If only it were a tragedy, that may have happened.

Some of my favorite lines seem a little clichéd now, after the wonderful 'Shakespeare In Love', but hey ho:

"And why not death rather than living torment?
To die is to be banish'd from myself;
And Silvia is myself: banish'd from her
Is self from self: a deadly banishment!
What light is light, if Silvia be not seen?
What joy is joy, if Silvia be not by?
Unless it be to think that she is by
And feed upon the shadow of perfection
Except I be by Silvia in the night,
There is no music in the nightingale;
Unless I look on Silvia in the day,
There is no day for me to look upon;
She is my essence, and I leave to be,
If I be not by her fair influence
Foster'd, illumined, cherish'd, kept alive.
I fly not death, to fly his deadly doom:
Tarry I here, I but attend on death:
But, fly I hence, I fly away from life".

There is a moving almost-sonnet from line 5 to the end, which is amongst the best lines in Shakespeare. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
This is one of Shakespeare's earlier comedies in which two couples must navigate the ins and outs of love and courtship. Julia and Proteus are completely in love in Verona. Proteus's best friend, Valentine, travels to Milan, and falls in love with Silvia. When Proteus joins him there, he also falls in love with Silvia and betrays his friend. Julia disguises herself as a boy, travels to Milan, and discovers Proteus's infidelity. Since it's a comedy and not a tragedy, everything works out in the end for the couples.

This is a fun play, but despite the complicated plot, it's much simpler than his later plays. You can see how Shakespeare matured as he gained more experience as a writer. There were also quite a few hilarious moments in the play, mainly when the servants were around. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
I need to think over this play but my first thought is that I would have liked it more if the ending hadn't been so rushed. It didn't strike me as very believable that Valentine would forgive Proteus so quickly.

I also watched a performance of this play on YouTube as I read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEifTpIsn8 ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 22, 2015 |
While "The Two Gentlemen of Verona" is not considered one of William Shakespeare's greatest works, I still found it to be a pretty enjoyable play. It was one of the bard's earlier comedies so much of it is used again later in this other, stronger works.

The story follows Proteus and Valentine, two gentlemen who fall in love with ladies and troubles ensue. There is the typical Shakespeare disguise thrown in for good measure too.

This play is pretty readable and was fairly amusing. The ending was kind of forced and wrapped everything up a little too prettily, but other wise I liked this one. ( )
  amerynth | Dec 25, 2013 |
One rates Shakespeare plays to acknowledge that in art, there are varying responses to the same work.
For the drama, "Is this the right director and cast, are the costumes correct, did the spirit of the author's original intent come through?"
there's a different set of criteria for single poems, or paintings. Some modest thoughts follow.
This is early Shakespeare, and quite readable, but a test bed for a lot of better stuff that came later. Not many famous quotes/clichés in this one, but a workable script.
Read seven times. ( )

Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross, Wilbur L.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Evans, BertrandEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harrison, G. B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cease to persuade, my loving Proteus;
Home-keeping youth have ever homely wits;
Were't not affection chains thy tender days
To the sweet glances of thy honour'd love, I rather would entreat thy company
To see the wonders of the world abroad,
Than, living dully sluggardiz'd at home,
Wear out thy youth with shapeless idleness.
O, how this spring of love resembleth

The uncertain glory of an April day!
That man that hath a tongue, I say, is no man,

If with his tongue he cannot win a woman.
Come not within the measure of my wrath.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0671722956, Mass Market Paperback)

The world's leading center for Shakespeare studies

Each edition includes:

• printed version of the play

•Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

•Scene-by-scene plot summaries

•A key to famous lines and phrases

•An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

•An essay by a leading Shakespeare scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

•Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Jeffrey Masten

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:46 -0400)

One of the early and finest achievements of Shakespeare, this classic romantic parody has been enhanced in this Folger Library Edition by introductions to Shakespeare's language, illustrations from the Folger collection, scene-by-scene plot summaries, and explanatory notes.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714618, 0141016620

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible