Into Temptation by Penny Vincenzi

Into Temptation (edition 2002)

by Penny Vincenzi

Member:writestuff
Title:Into Temptation
Authors:Penny Vincenzi
Info:Orion Books (2002), Paperback, 654 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Women's Fiction

Into Temptation by Penny Vincenzi

This is a very thick book to read and from ebook, it contained 720 pages and took me more than a week to read. First of all, i like Penny's writing. Her books are about family saga; filled with love, heartache, sadness, conflicts and betrayal and it is interesting to read. And this book contained all the emotion rolled into one.

This book is the 3rd book of The Spoilts of TIme and is a continuation of Lytton Family saga. The announcement of Celia to retire and to remarried marked the start of the book and the story then progress onto the life without Celia at Lytton and the way the other family members coped with her absence and the conflicts that arised from the annoucement such as Kit's refusal to acknowledged his mother's remarried and cutting himself from her; Celia's confusion over her decision, has ensued. The story also contained subplots between Barty and her new found love; Charlie and their life together, Elspeth (grandaughter of Celia) and her beau, Keir and her subsequent affairs with Mark Forrester, Adele and her marriage failure and conflicts with her own childrens, etc.

Overall, the book is very engaging but one may find is taunting with the number of pages that it have. I was at the beginning but as the story progressed, the thickness of the book does not matters as much anymore ;) ( )
  jolzyn | Apr 26, 2012 |
Last book in the Lytton trilogy, covering 1953 to 1958. This felt really slapdash to me. I found Adele's preoccupation with leaving war-torn Paris without saying goodbye to Luc tiresome. I'm sure she had PTSD, but it wasn't portrayed nearly as sympathetically as Oliver's (from WW1).

Celia and Barty seemed like total Mary Sues.

Over the course of the trilogy, multiple women contemplated abortions, but always* went ahead and had the children, and somehow everything worked out. *Izzie had an abortion, and was emotionally scarred for life. The only main woman character I can think of who didn't have children was Lily, who was offstage for most of the second two books. While children often resemble their parents in some ways, this book presented them as likely to be carbon copies of one parent. This is unrealistic and not very interesting to read about.

I almost didn't care enough to finish it. And the tacked-on resolution of the money issue with Charlie Patterson and Jenna seemed forced and poorly thought out. I was really disappointed with this one, and I doubt I will seek out any more of this author's work. ( )
  fiadhiglas | May 3, 2011 |
I enjoyed the first two books so much that I bought the third book straight away in hard back - very rare! I wasn't disappointed this saga has had the same level of impact upon me as The Thorn Birds did when I first watched the adaptation as a young teenager. ( )
  susanpenter | Apr 24, 2009 |

The Lytton family past is full of secrets, and only Lady Celia knows them all. There's her daughter Adele's difficult, dark past; the dreadful cruelty of a truth her son Kit had to confront; even the shadows of Celia's own life, and that of Barty Miller, whom she rescued from the slums in babyhood and who now owns more than half of the Lytton publishing house. Some secrets are more dangerous than others, some shared with Celia's family, some entirely her own. And all absolutely safe in her keeping. Until something happens that threatens to reveal them all ...INTO TEMPTATION is a magnificent drama that captures the spirit of an age and tells the gripping story of the Lytton family.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:33 -0400)

Lady Celia Lytton is the keeper of the family secrets. Some are more dangerous than others. How the family cope with the danger of revelation, the dark shadows of the past cast over the present and future lives and the effect on the next generation, makes a fasinating and compellin story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,599,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible