Woken Furies by Richard K. Morgan

Woken Furies (2005)

by Richard K. Morgan

Series: Takeshi Kovacs novels (3)

1,600None4,528 (3.96)26
Recently added bydClauzel, theholotrope, shagger, annekaelber, private library, ExpatTX, xLittleP
2005 (4) action (4) Already read (4) audible (4) audiobook (8) cyberpunk (69) detective (7) ebook (16) far future (6) fiction (88) Kindle (6) Kovacs (6) mystery (5) noir (20) novel (13) own (5) owned (7) postcyberpunk (5) read (29) science fiction (280) series (11) sf (86) sff (9) signed (8) speculative fiction (6) Takeshi Kovacs (60) to-read (16) unread (10) war (4) wishlist (5)

Like his other books -- I liked it, but was all the sex really necessary? ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The politics come to the fore eventually in what looks like the last novel in this series. Again, Morgan blends thriller. science fiction and mystery elements into an action-packed story with political punch. ( )
1 vote nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-8p
Review at:http://wp.me/p3X6aw-8p ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is the third book in the Takeshi Kovaks series. It is similar to the second book, and follows on more strongly from that one that the first book. This is consistent with the overall arc if the series, so it doesn't bother me that it is different from the first book. Overall I liked this book, and read it fairly quickly. I think the end is good and was largely unexpected.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/Richard_Morgan/Woken_Furies.html ( )
  mikal | Aug 23, 2011 |

Richard K. Morganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fury (n): 1a intense, disordered and often destructive rage... 2 wild, disordered force or activity 3a any of the three avenging deities who in Greek mythology punished crimes 3b an angry or vengeful woman The New Penguin English Dictionary, 2001
This book is for my wife, Virginia Cottinelli, who knows of impediment.
The place they woke me in would have been carefully prepared. (prologue)
Impaler drifted in sideways toward an unused section of the dock. Her grapples fired and chewed holes in the evercrete. A couple of them hit rotten patches and tugged loose as soon as they started to crank taut. The hovelolader backed off slightly in a mound of stirred-up water and shredded belaweed. The grapples wound back and fired again. Something behind me wailed. At first, some stupid part of me thought it was Virginia Vidaura finally venting her pent-up grief. A fraction of a second later I caught up with the machine tone of the sound and identified it for what it was - an alarm. Time seemed to slam to a halt. Seconds turned into ponderous slabs of perception; everything moved with the lazy calm of motion underwater. - Liebeck, spinning away from the water's edge, lit spliff tumbling from her open mouth, bouncing off the upper slope of her breast in a brief splutter of embers - - Murakami, yelling at my ear, moving past me toward the grav sled - The monitor system built into the sled screaming, a whole rack of data coil systems flaring to life like candles along one side of Sylvie Oshima's suddenly twitching body - Sylvie's eyes, wide open and fixed on mine as the gravity of her stare drags my own gaze in - The alarm, unfamiliar as the new Tseng hardware, but only one possible meaning behind it - And Murakami's arm, raised, hand filled with the Kalashnikov as he clears it from his belt - My own yell, stretching out and blending with his as I throw myself foward to block him, hands still bound, hoplesessly slow - And then the clouds ripped open in the east, and vomited angelfire. And the dock lit up with light and fury. And the sky fell in.

Richard K. Morgan has received widespread praise for his astounding twenty-fifth-century novels featuring Takeshi Kovacs, and has established a growing legion of fans. Mixing classic noir sensibilities with a searing futuristic vision of an age when death is nearly meaningless, Morgan returns to his saga of betrayal, mystery, and revenge, as Takeshi Kovacs, in one fatal moment, joins forces with a mysterious woman who may have the power to shatter Harlan’s World forever.

Once a gang member, then a marine, then a galaxy-hopping Envoy trained to wreak slaughter and suppression across the stars, a bleeding, wounded Kovacs was chilling out in a New Hokkaido bar when some so-called holy men descended on a slim beauty with tangled, hyperwired hair. An act of quixotic chivalry later and Kovacs was in deep: mixed up with a woman with two names, many powers, and one explosive history.

In a world where the real and virtual are one and the same and the dead can come back to life, the damsel in distress may be none other than the infamous Quellcrist Falconer, the vaporized symbol of a freedom now gone from Harlan’s World. Kovacs can deal with the madness of AI. He can do his part in a battle against biomachines gone wild, search for a three-centuries-old missing weapons system, and live with a blood feud with the yakuza, and even with the betrayal of people he once trusted. But when his relationship with “the” Falconer brings him an enemy specially designed to destroy him, he knows it’s time to be afraid.

After all, the guy sent to kill him is himself: but younger, stronger, and straight out of hell.

Wild, provocative, and riveting, Woken Furies is a full-bore science fiction spectacular of the highest order–from one of the most original and spellbinding storytellers at work today.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:18 -0400)

Takeshi Kovacs battles against biomachines gone wild, searches for a centuries-old missing weapons systm, and endures the betrayal of people he once trusted.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible